• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Switching from Hoya to Yau

WCA
2014BLOC01
A few days ago, I decided to switch from Hoya to Yau for 4x4. I'm having trouble getting used to making the cross edges without the centers to line them up against, but that'll go away with time and practice. If anyone has has any tips or tricks, I'd be happy to hear them, though.

My question is: To anyone else who made the same switch: How'd it work out for you? How long did it take you to get back to your Hoya times with Yau? Are there any tips or tricks in particular to to know when switching from Hoya to Yau, as opposed to switching from say, Redux to Yau, K4 to Yau, etc?

Note: I did a quick search, and couldn't find another of this thread. If i missed something, please do feel free to yell at me.

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm having trouble getting used to making the cross edges without the centers to line them up against, but that'll go away with time and practice. If anyone has has any tips or tricks, I'd be happy to hear them, though.
I've never had a problem with this because I know my cross colour scheme well from 3x3. E.g. if I've been working the white/green edge and I want to start the white/red edge I know exactly how to align the D face without using the centers.

Do you use the same cross scheme on 4x4? Are you CN on 3x3?

Joey VOV

WCA
2013STAH02
YouTube
Visit Channel
A tear has been shed from your fellow hoya users, but I respect your decision. I think it will take a lot of getting used to so just practice a lot. I cannot answer your question but When I switched from yau to hoya it took a week or two to get back down to and rapidly pass my previous times, I don't see why it would be any different for switching from hoya to yau.

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
We can still be friends!
lolno

To place the cross edges correctly, I remember that red is before blue, and orange is before green, when you go anticlockwise (from left to right when white is on U, which it isn't, but that's how I remember it anyway). I don't know if that's easy to remember or not for you... I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't helpful, but you really have to learn your colour scheme for 4x4. The more solves you do, the more you get used to it.

tldr: learn your colour scheme and practise more

WCA
2014BLOC01
A tear has been shed from your fellow hoya users, but I respect your decision. I think it will take a lot of getting used to so just practice a lot. I cannot answer your question but When I switched from yau to hoya it took a week or two to get back down to and rapidly pass my previous times, I don't see why it would be any different for switching from hoya to yau.

Thanks! I'll miss you guys, too!

lolno

To place the cross edges correctly, I remember that red is before blue, and orange is before green, when you go anticlockwise (from left to right when white is on U, which it isn't, but that's how I remember it anyway). I don't know if that's easy to remember or not for you... I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't helpful, but you really have to learn your colour scheme for 4x4. The more solves you do, the more you get used to it.

tldr: learn your colour scheme and practise more

Thanks! That's kind of what I figured, but it's always good to have it confirmed by people who actually know what they're doing!

I told Hoya, and he shed a single tear. RIP

I'm not dead! I just went over to the Yau side! Guess what I found? COOKIES!

Disclaimer: the cookies may or may not have actually had anything to do with my switching to Yau.

WCA
2014BLOC01
Fun Fact: Even Robert didn't use Yau until people started setting records with it.

Don't give up on Hoya too easily!

I'm not giving up on Hoya, I tried some Yau solves and liked it better. Once I can actually do Yau without having to use corners to figure out where to place edges (i.e., learn my color scheme, etc), I'm going to reevaluate.

Last edited:

Chree

WCA
2013BROT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm not giving up on Hoya, I tried some Yau solves and liked it better. Once I can actually do Yau without having to use corners to figure out where to place edges (i.e., learn my color scheme, etc), I'm going to reevaluate.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Hoya method, but most users acknowledge that it probably isn't as efficient as Yau, even with the restrictions during L4C. I think once you get a full grasp of your color scheme the switch will be pretty easy. I don't have any extra tips for that, though. Just like TDM, all I really knew was "where's red compared to blue" and "where's orange compared to green", and then when I was confronted with an opposite color, I just aimed in the opposite direction. That was my crutch for a long time until the entire scheme started to sink in. (thanks BLD practice!)

Last edited:

Robert-Y

WCA
2009YAUR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
For what it's worth Jong-Ho and I did a move count for cross and centres. With his way he got a ~56 ao12 and with my way, I got ~50 ao12. Hopefully this doesn't change much but maybe it's worth noting that I'm colour neutral but Jong-Ho isn't.

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
For what it's worth Jong-Ho and I did a move count for cross and centres. With his way he got a ~56 ao12 and with my way, I got ~50 ao12. Hopefully this doesn't change much but maybe it's worth noting that I'm colour neutral but Jong-Ho isn't.
I just tried this with Yau to see how I compared (I actually vaguely remember doing this before, but I can't remember), and I did better than I thought I would. I don't know if this was luck, half-centres or colour neutrality not actually making that much of a difference, but: 60, 48, 38, 57, 57, 51, 53, 52, 53, 54, 55, 55 = 53.5. Thinking about it, colour neutrality only really affects the first, maybe first two, centres, so 3.5 moves sounds about right. I'm not very good at Hoya, so I got: 68, 63, 70, 59, 54, 51, 64, 61, 52, 65, 60, 65 = 61.1, which wasn't anywhere near as bad as I expected, but in a speedsolve I would pause for 2-5 seconds between cross edges. It would be interesting to see what other Hoya users get for this.