• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

The Ideal Solution (No, really, that's its name)

Dane man

Thanks to Tempus for sparking my curiosity, I was able to find, online, the original solution packet that was printed by Ideal Toy Corp back in 1980-ish, when the cube first came out. This was the original, official solution that was given to the Rubik's cube. I created a PDF version available for download.

Download here: The Ideal Solution PDF

Looking at it now, it's funny a few of the phrases they use (for example saying "Rubik's cube" in the possessive instead of "The Rubik's cube" the way we say it today), and a lot of the seriously underestimated information (such as saying that the cube has "over 3 billion possible color combinations" and "Rubik's cube can even be solved in 2 minutes flat!").

I think it's a very interesting solution. A corners first solution involving solving the top layer first, then the bottom layer, then the 4 middle edges. I've created a wiki page just for this solution. Y'all can help with it if you want.

Anyway, just an interesting historical artifact. Hope y'all enjoy!

Last edited:

megaminxwin

Current Clock NR Holder
WCA
2010MACA01
Nice!

Looking at it now, it's funny a few of the phrases they use (for example saying "Rubik's cube" in the possessive instead of "The Rubik's cube" the way we say it today), and a lot of the seriously underestimated information (such as saying that the cube has "over 3 billion possible color combinations" and "Rubik's cube can even be solved in 2 minutes flat!").

To be honest, it's kind of weird that we say "the Rubik's Cube", since it's a name at the beginning.

Villyer

(such as saying that the cube has "over 3 billion possible color combinations" and "Rubik's cube can even be solved in 2 minutes flat!")

I've heard media likes to use numbers more easily understood by the people. They probably felt that "3 billion" would sound larger than the actual figure to most people due to it being more familiar as a large number.

JediJupiter

WCA
2014DICK01
I've heard media likes to use numbers more easily understood by the people. They probably felt that "3 billion" would sound larger than the actual figure to most people due to it being more familiar as a large number.
I think it's more likely that since it was so early on, they just didn't know, and since they didn't think anyone would care thry didn't make an effort to find a correct number.

hugg

I got an original copy of the pamphlet for Christmas. It had been in someone's attic, and they brought it to my cousin's antique shop. It is neat.

CubingRF

YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks to Tempus for sparking my curiosity, I was able to find, online, the original solution packet that was printed by Ideal Toy Corp back in 1980-ish, when the cube first came out. This was the original, official solution that was given to the Rubik's cube. I created a PDF version available for download.

Download here: The Ideal Solution PDF

I think it's a very interesting solution. A corners first solution involving solving the top layer first, then the bottom layer, then the 4 middle edges. I've created a wiki page just for this solution. Y'all can help with it if you want.

Anyway, just an interesting historical artifact. Hope y'all enjoy!

Historical, noice discovery!

The language though!
"You're a Cubis!"
"The Object"

I must be dense. I am not able to follow the instructions using The Ideal Solution (PDF here). I have the cube solved on the bottom and on the top, with the exception of the Target Piece. The missing target piece is in Storage Position X, as shown in Figure 21. It's at this point that I've been unable to follow the directions.
  • I do step a1 (Front counter-clockwise)
  • I do step a2 (center left)
  • I do not understand the 'stop' note or what steps should follow.
  • In my case, the blue is top and red is front. The missing piece has blue on right and red on back.
I'm stuck. Beyond what I've explained above, I'm not sure what else I need to provide in asking for help. Any guidance will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Andrew

UPDATE:
I got it figured out. It took some time observing what was happening and combining that with 35-40 year old memories, but now I've got it. I don't know why the old manual is so unclear and complicated. Depending on the use case, it has 14 to over 20 steps. I've trimmed it down to 7 or 10 (depending on the use case). The remaining steps in the manual solve the cube just as I remember. I'll document my method for this step in the process as soon as I get the time.

I got proficient at the cube in the summer of 1980. Then I didn't do it except occasionally for a few years after that. Today was the first day I've solved the cube in 35 years, give-or-take. It's kind of nice. Now a few more times to get it memorized.

Last edited: