Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 2x2x2 Ortega Method Help thread

WCA Profile
    2008WRIG02

Default 2x2x2 Ortega Method Help thread

Well, I just learned the Ortega method, as I previously solved it just like corners on a 3x3x3 (LBL method). Because the Ortega method doesn't require the bottom face to have correct permutation, and because half the algorithms are faster than the T and Y perms I use at the moment, I assumed I would see an immediate improvement in my times, but in fact it's made my average about 4 seconds slower. Wondered if I was going about it the right way, here's my method.

0) During inspection work out the moves to solve bottom face (the corners don't have to be correct relative to each other) and see whether it will have 0, 1 or 2 correct 'bars' (i.e. 2 stickers the same colour next to each other on the D face) when complete.

1) Solve bottom face.

2a) If it's 0 bars, leave it as it is then do OLL, then step 3ai/ii/iii
    2b) If it's 1 bar, put the bar at the back, then do OLL, then step 3bi/ii/iii
    2c) If it's 2 bars, leave it as it is then do OLL, then step 3ci/ii/iii

3ai)If the top has 0 bars, perform R2 F2 R2 and AUF
    3aii)If the top has 1 bar, put it at the front and perform (R U' R) (F2) (R' U R') then AUF.
    3aiii)If the top has 2 bars, perform x2, then Y perm, then AUF.

3bi) If the top has 1 bar, put it at the back and perform (R2 U R2) (Y U2) (R2 U R2) F2 then AUF.
    3bii) If the top has 0 bars, perform x2 (R U' R) (F2) (R' U R') then AUF.
    3biii) If the top has 2 bars, perform x2 y' and then T perm

3bi) If the top has 0 bars, perform Y perm, then AUF.
    3bii) If the top has 1 bar, put it on the left and perform T perm, then AUF.
    3biii) If the top has 2 bars, the cube is complete!

As well as a question this threat can sort of also act as a guide for anyone else wondering about Ortega, as all the methods I've found on the internet seemed a little hard to understand.
    Bytie_nl: I think ur iq is amazing given the fact that u can type even
    JudeCW: i know me too, i only just learnt. i still sometinjsdhkjhnm hfghhh

Don't tell me you actually use the T and the Y perms as your algs?

There are much faster ones.
    Team #

WCA Profile
    2008WRIG02

Well I wanted to learn a better method whilst learning as few algorithms as I could, and this way I only had to learn 2 new algorithms. But, would be nice to have alternatives to Y and T, could you post them please?

YouTube
    pcwizcube

Quote Originally Posted by Chukk View Post
    Well I wanted to learn a better method whilst learning as few algorithms as I could, and this way I only had to learn 2 new algorithms. But, would be nice to have alternatives to Y and T, could you post them please?
    T Permutation Alternate: (RU2R'U')(RU2)(L'UR'U'L')

Y Permutation Alternate: RU'R'U'F2U'RUR'DR2

I got them from Erik Akkersdijk's 2x2 Ortega method tutorial (old website)
    http://erikku.er.funpic.org/rubik/
    Last edited by PCwizCube; 06-23-2008 at 10:57 AM.

WCA Profile
    2008FANW01
    YouTube
    fanwuq

My comments:

1. Solve face (see the bar, remember where it is. Don't put it anyway in particular
    2. just OLL
    3. permute

ai. no bar both layer R2F2R2
    aii. one bar top, no bar bottom. Consider to learn all 4 situations (the mirrors) rather than AUF or rotate it all.
    aiii. correct

bi. both layers one bar. put both on F. If both are on B. start with L2 instead of R2.
    bii. correct. Consider to learn all 4 situations (the mirrors) rather than AUF or rotate it all.
    biii. I like J much better.

ci. correct
    cii. correct
    ciii. correct

also Y is not the best choice either...
    I used to solve computer cubes slowly. Best averages of 12: 2x2x2: 4.155 3x3x3: 14.74 Squat: 415 Bench: 275 Deadlift: 465

WCA Profile
    2008FANW01
    YouTube
    fanwuq

Quote Originally Posted by Rubik's Cube Fan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chukk View Post
    T Permutation Alternate: (RU2R'U')(RU2)(L'UR'U'L')

Y Permutation Alternate: RU'R'U'F2U'RUR'DR2

I got them from Erik Akkersdijk's 2x2 Ortega method tutorial (old website)
    http://erikku.er.funpic.org/rubik/
    That's not T. That's just regular old J.
    Personally, I don't like that 'Y" alg. I prefer, Jason Baum's real Y alg (only 14 moves with lot's of triggers).
    I used to solve computer cubes slowly. Best averages of 12: 2x2x2: 4.155 3x3x3: 14.74 Squat: 415 Bench: 275 Deadlift: 465

WCA Profile
    2005AKKE01
    YouTube
    frk17

That alg is nice for 2x2 though.
    Other possibilities could be: L'U'R'U2LU'L'U2R2 or even: x' R2U'R'UR2 x'y' R'UR'U'R2 (which are yes both a J perm in a way)
    getting lucky is not a crime....

WCA Profile
    2005GUST01
    YouTube
    Kubbuth

One error many does is to solve the first layer corners one by one using 3-5 turns per corner. Not good... So if you do that, try this instead:

1, use any colour for start, that makes it 6 times easier to find a good starting point. This is much easier to learn than many think, it's akvard at first but after a few days it's OK.

2, look for a side that has 2 corners solved already, it happens almost every time.

3, learn to put in the missing two corners in one go, normaly you can do it in 1-5 turns, average is 2-3 something. Yes 2-3 turns to solve the first step!

Advanced:

When inspecting for the first face look also at the edge to predict the permutation pattern the layer will have when it's done. Assume you start in white and there are two solved pices to start from, DLF and DLB, at the L side these shows red and green = it is a red/green pair. From that we can understand there will be no solved red pair and no solved green pair because one of each is occupied already. So the pair will become either orange or blue, which depends on how the other two pices are solved, track the turns you need to do to solve those and you will know your permutation pattern for the first layer.
    Last edited by Kenneth; 06-23-2008 at 03:08 PM.

WCA Profile
    2008WRIG02

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
    1, use any colour for start
    I'm already colour neutral on 2x2x2 even though I'm not on 3x3x3. Definately helps alot, as there are no centres.

3, learn to put in the missing two corners in one go, normaly you can do it in 1-5 turns, average is 2-3 something. Yes 2-3 turns to solve the first step!
    Yep, the first 2 corners are already in, adjacent to each other, the third can always be put in in a maximum of 2, then the last in a maximum of 3, but this can usually be avoided by starting with a different colour and putting them in together.

When inspecting for the first face look also at the edge to predict the permutation pattern the layer will have when it's done.
    This is usually what I use my inspection time for, and then keep it in my mind both what colour I'm looking for on top for OLL, as well as where the 'bars' are on the bottom layer, so permutation recognition is faster.

Kenneth, you seem pretty adapted with this method, what do you average? My record with this is just over 10 seconds, and non lucky PB is 8.89

WCA Profile
    2007THOM02
    YouTube
    philkt731

Hey Tim, whats ur alg that you use for two adjacent corner switch. I know (or think) Erik uses R U2 R' U' R U2 L U R' U' L, and how fast is yours?