• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

New Timer - Your Ideas!

zakblak

Hi everyone, I am currently in the planning stage of a new web based speedcubing timer. I will be developing this new timer on my own. I have already come up with some basic ideal functions which are listed below.

Custom inspection time and more, including official WCA timing option
Time visuals such as tables and graphing, displaying more in depth informaiton such as daily average, and weekly average.
Import times saved as cookies from other online timers.
effective scrambles for all major cubes.
Multiple custom cubes, each with individual stats
Custom layout and colors

I am asking for more ideas as to what you other cubers would like to see in a browser based timer.
I know that most of these features can be found in other timers, but I have yet to find an online timer that brings all of these features together.

Once again, please respond with any of your ideas

-- Thanks

Lazy Einstein

Alg Ninja
Earth, Solar system, Orion Spur, Milky Way
CS Timer. Everything they have done is right so far imo.

It just needs to be more customizable and needs a better settings layout. The options menu is a little weird.

I would say that is a great reference for a good timer. Lots of good ideas.

Check it out.

zakblak

I currently do use CS timer. But they have no log in, so you have to be on the same computer. They do not have an advanced graph time viewer, which is really helpful to see progress. And they don't allow you to create custom cubes. Thanks for you're response, I do plan on sort of basing my timer off of cs timer.

Frubix

WCA
2012HAML01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Something that tells you how fast your next solve needs the be to make your average of X better, I've been wanting this for months, and it would be very very cool, also good for dealing with nerves(nerve practice for comps)

Rocky0701

WCA
2014MCEV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Here are some more requests:
-Saving scrambles
-Being able to create your own ways of averaging, such as if you wanted to do like 250 or like ao75. I don't know why you would, but it would be nice to be able to, and then you could set your own percent of solves to discard.
-If there is going to be a log in thing, an app would be nice too

Petro Leum

WCA
2012KALH01
graphs and statistics like in prisma puzzle timer, maybe better!

what i used to dislike about the graphs in prisma puzzle timer is that long periods of not practicing where also shown in teh graph but would unnecessarily reduce the space for valid information (night times were there as spaces too). it kinda needed an option to only show the times in which solves have been regular, or, as a new idea, show all solves with the same interval so that the graph shows "improvement per solve/time spent solving" instead of "improvement in real time"

Last edited:

zakblak

I like the idea of custom averaging, also the app could be a future addition.

zakblak

Okay this is an awesome idea, thanks a lot for posting it! I think It will most likely have to let you choose which average it is based on such as average of 10,50 or 100, or even one of the custom averages rocky0701 mentioned.

naliuj

WCA
2011ROSE04
YouTube
Visit Channel
You'd probably want a login feature so that it's accessible on other computers. And then maybe being able to export times to an Excel spreadsheet. I always wanted that in a timer. I don't have much experience with coding so I don't know how reasonable that would be.

WCA
2012PATE01
I would love to have a qqtimr ish thing but you also can save youre times. lets say I am doing 2x2 and I want to do 3x3 I need to reset my times to get a valid avg

Carrot

WCA
2008ANDE02
YouTube
Visit Channel
One thing that csTimer took off of their website is WCA scramble format. For 4x4 and up there is only SiGN which I hate. So please have WCA scramble format.

In the scramble menu pick: WCA, and in the type menu select your puzzle. Ta da, WCA format

the menu should be something like:
WCA <------ Pick that one
input
=== WCA ===
2x2x2
3x3x3

Amress

WCA
2013RAVI06
it would be great to have an import scrambles feature as well as a large storing capacity ( most timers crash after ~500 solves )

Last edited:

MirzaCubing

WCA
2011MIRZ01
YouTube
Visit Channel
A feature I've always wanted is to be able to save scrambles; you can do that on qqtimer, but only for a limited time (while you have the session open; as soon as you change the session you lose the scrambles). Yes, you could just keep easy/hard/lol/etc. scrambles on a document or something, but assuming you have the log-in feature it would be convenient to have a section where you can store your favorite scrambles.

WCA
2014BLOC01
Would you be able to add an option where it doesn't show you your time until you stop the timer? I always find myself checking how I'm doing on time, and that slows me down. Having an option to prevent that would be extremely helpful.