• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Michigan 2014

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
CUSA Link
WCA Link

Date: July 12-13, 2014
Venue: University of Michigan (Two different venues for the two days, see the "Travel" tab on the CUSA site for more info)
Address: Ann Arbor, MI 48109
Organizer: James Hildreth
Delegate: Kit Clement
Events: 2x2, 3x3, 4x4, 5x5, 7x7, OH, BLD, FMC (mean), Sq-1, Pyra, Clock, Skewb
Tentative Events: 4BLD, 5BLD, MBLD (one will be chosen based on popularity in registration by June 25th)

FAQs:

1. What's the cost?

The competition will be essentially free of charge. We ask you to pay a $10 deposit via PayPal in order to reserve your spot so that we can make an accurate schedule and ensure that our registration is accurate. We will give your $10 back when you come to the competition, but no refunds for those who do not show up.

2. Why is this competition free, but the one in May not free?

This is a result of good relationships built with the UMich Event Services from the past year. We can now reserve rooms cheaper, but to receive this rate, we cannot charge a registration fee. We went with this option to keep more money in cubers' pockets and less in the university's, but there are still some costs with holding this competition. Thus, if you would like to donate your deposit or a part of it, we would greatly appreciate it, but we will gladly give it back to anyone who wants it back.

3. What restrictions are there on events?

Those looking to do an FMC mean of 3 cannot compete in square-1 - this is a result of attempt 3 running at the same time. You can still do FMC attempts 1 and/or 2 along with square-1. Also, if you are doing FMC and 5x5/7x7, be sure to be on time at 9am Sunday morning, as these events will be running partially alongside the second attempt.

4. How are the big BLD events working?

We have them listed as potential events as a way of collecting votes for the most popular one. We will decide which one to run on Wednesday, June 25th based on which event has the most popular registration. This should allow those doing big BLD to practice that event specifically. If you would like to do some more than others, just register for your favorite big BLD event, and then leave a comment if you would still do other BLD events if they were chosen.

5. Why are we not doing _____?

6x6 - It's been done at Tree Town, Leaf Town, and Holy Toledo the past year, I think we can give this event a rest for a while.

Mega - Going to be done at MMM, was also done at Toronto and Dixon, which covers many of our potential competitors to the east and west. It's also a relatively long event, and frees up time for multiple rounds of other events.

Feet - Done at Toledo, lolfeet.

BigBLD - Going to be chosen by popular vote, so if yours doesn't get picked, blame everyone else.

Last edited:

cubeninjaIV

WCA
2009HILD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
TWO DAYS HOLY CRAP I LOVE YOU KIT!!!!! :)

EDIT: owait, james hildreth is organizing! Thanks James!!!!

Thank Kit, I was going to host one about this time but my venue refused to cooperate with me, so Kit asked me if I wanted to help host a 2-day

I might be able to take a quick trip. We'll see.

I hope you can make it! It feels like forever since we've seen you. In person that is.

Busy organizing the competition? :p

Way to ruin the fun Sarah.

cubeninjaIV

WCA
2009HILD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
BigBLD events have been chosen! Due to the low number of competitors we have decided to hold both MBLD and 5BLD.
However:
1) Competitors must choose to compete in only one event
2) Both events will be best of three, but with a one hour combined cutoff

TheDubDubJr

Cupcake
WCA
2011WELC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
BigBLD events have been chosen! Due to the low number of competitors we have decided to hold both MBLD and 5BLD.
However:

ZOMG MIKE AND COREY, I LOVE YOU GUYS LIKE NO OTHER PERSON HAS EVER LOVED YOU BEFORE! <3

Coolster01

WCA
2011SBAH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
However:

So, if I do 5BLD and I get a 45 minute solve, could I do another one and go past an hour if I wasnt at an hour before the attempt?