• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Review] MoYu AoSu 4x4x4

What do you think of this puzzle?

• Total voters

sk8erman41

WCA
2015BURK01
Awesome review, very well done. I really enjoyed you showing specific examples of the contrast in real solves. It sounds nicely scripted and good tone throughout.

Cubeologist

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I really like your channel. I subbed. nice review.

Awesome, I am constantly putting out content. Hope you enjoy. And I always welcome feedback to let me know what you might want to see!

I'm super tempted to buy 6 of them and make force cubes.

Transparent single colored Aosus would be awesome!

That would be amazing. but 170$ before shipping sounds a bit on the expensive side lol.

Man... I'm pretty disappointed in the contrast. But I guess they use the same plastic as the transparent YuLong, so it's to be expected.

Great review though... thank you for be so detailed!

It disappoints me too. I guess this cube is destined to be a display piece. But I still love it.

Awesome review, very well done. I really enjoyed you showing specific examples of the contrast in real solves. It sounds nicely scripted and good tone throughout.

Thank you. And honestly, that wasn't the plan at all. I just had legitimate problems with color recognition, so I decided to add that to the video.

FailCuber

WCA
2011CHOI04
I am very disappointed with the aosu. One outer side was way tighter then the other out of the box. Any way to fix it? I think the tensions are even.

~Adam~

WCA
2011GREE03
I am very disappointed with the aosu. One outer side was way tighter then the other out of the box. Any way to fix it? I think the tensions are even.

Make sure the tensions are even. Report back once you know. It seems like the most likely issue.

brian724080

Tensions are EXACTLY even. They can't be more even then this. This happened straight out of the box.

That makes it more likely that the tensions are uneven. You are most likely not going to get a perfect cube (i.e. tensioned, lubed properly) straight out of the box.

Chrizz

I got the moyu aosu stickerless about 3 weeks ago from hknowstore, and straight out of the box it turned super smooth. I didn't need to alter the tensions. I haven't lubed the cube, and I don't feel the need to, the turning is just super smooth, the cornercutting is great (up to 1 cubie, 3/4th goes effortless) and the reverse cornercutting is sufficient (1/3rd of a cubie). Lockups are rare and minor, when they happen it's often because the middle layers aren't lined up. I have never had a piece pop in the 3 weeks I had it. This cube is really easy to control and is very fast.
In my opinion, this cube is excellent.

Note though, that I don't have other 4x4's, so I don't have much to compare it to.

Last edited:

FailCuber

WCA
2011CHOI04
Right out of the box, my Aosu is experiencing issues. One axis is much tighter than the other two. Meaning I can do Rw2, no resistance. Uw2, no resistance. Then Fw2... lots of resistance. Even though I've loosening the tensions on all side, the level of resistance stays the same. And since the core moves independently after each solve, the axis that experiences this tightness changes throughout the solve. It really sucks when the tightness winds up on my M axis during OLL parity.

I'm going to tear this thing down, clean it, and relube it. Hopefully that helps. Has anyone else experiences this? Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

Edit: it seems as it a piece of plastic was jammed between the circle and square pieces on one of the centers, causing extra friction. Everything's fine now!
I think i have your problem.

WCA
2009SHEE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Guess I'm not the only one who found the AoSu difficult to tension correctly, and I've still not managed it. I can have the tensions feeling almost even, tweak one side by 1/16 of a turn, and have the cube suddenly feel horrible, it's very weird and annoying. If I don't get it perfect by ABHC, I'll pay someone a beer if they can fix it.

kcl

WCA
2013LEJE03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Guess I'm not the only one who found the AoSu difficult to tension correctly, and I've still not managed it. I can have the tensions feeling almost even, tweak one side by 1/16 of a turn, and have the cube suddenly feel horrible, it's very weird and annoying. If I don't get it perfect by ABHC, I'll pay someone a beer if they can fix it.

James Molloy gogogo

Chree

WCA
2013BROT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think i have your problem.

If that's the case, all you'd need to do is take it apart and put it back together again.

It could also be that the center stalks aren't seated to the prongs of the core all the way. You may need to go as far as taking out the screws, inspecting all the center pieces to be sure no plastic flakes are still present. Just be careful when putting it back together and make sure the alignment mechanism of the core/center pieces are lined up correctly when reassembling.

You'll also likely have to relube while you're at it. Use a light lube (or an extremely small amount of heavy lube) around the square center "caps". And use a very small amount of light lube everywhere else. There's something about the plastic they use on the internals where it can very easily be overlubed and the whole thing feels like crap again. Mine took months of breaking in before that wasn't an issue anymore.

Sometimes we just get unlucky. Sorry you're having so many issues, man.