• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Euro 2014 - Roskilde, Denmark - August 8-10th, 2014

Carrot

WCA
2008ANDE02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Bump.

Anyone who knows when the schedule will be up? It would be nice to be able to book flights as long as they're cheap :p

Also, same question about the website in general.

Website can be expected before february :)

If schedule has been made they should it to me... (in other words, the schedule has not been shared with me, so it's most likely not made yet)

Erik

WCA
2005AKKE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think it's horrible we are forced to use paypal and I don't like the pay per event system. The enforcement of paypal already made me stop going to german competitions where this system is used in most competitions and I am very sad that it's being used at competitions like this. Internetbanking (and especially Paypal) does have some risks and although the majority of people nowadays are using it including myself, I am quite sure not everyone below 18 has parents who are able or willing to pay through paypal. With IBAN being used all over the EU now (at least for companies) I see no point whatsoever in forcing the use of paypal. This is not in line with: "more people, more fun", but only puts up a barrier not every 8 year old kid (or better said: his/her parents) is willing to overcome.

Alternatively I would like to see the use of the system in chess tournaments: either pre-pay online (normal bank transfer or paypal) or pay on site (costs extra). This choice has to be made on registration and cannot be changed afterwards. This will result in the vast majority pre-paying online to cover your organisation risk (€) and not forcing those who don't have the ability to pay with paypal or are simply against it.

Last edited:

Hippolyte!!!

WCA
2008MORE02
Seriusly! What the **** for the participation fees!:(
Don't you guys think it's expasnive enough to travel across Europa? The last thing we need after that is having to pay 50€ again...
And events which cost sometimes seven times what others costs... If you don't want feet (for example), juste don't put it in the schedule... it's so absurd to make pay this price for 3 solves, even more counting it's so easy to scramble...

Last edited:

Zoé

I think it's horrible we are forced to use paypal and I don't like the pay per event system. The enforcement of paypal already made me stop going to german competitions where this system is used in most competitions and I am very sad that it's being used at competitions like this. Internetbanking (and especially Paypal) does have some risks and although the majority of people nowadays are using it including myself, I am quite sure not everyone below 18 has parents who are able or willing to pay through paypal. With IBAN being used all over the EU now (at least for companies) I see no point whatsoever in forcing the use of paypal. This is not in line with: "more people, more fun", but only puts up a barrier not every 8 year old kid (or better said: his/her parents) is willing to overcome.

Alternatively I would like to see the use of the system in chess tournaments: either pre-pay online (normal bank transfer or paypal) or pay on site (costs extra). This choice has to be made on registration and cannot be changed afterwards. This will result in the vast majority pre-paying online to cover your organisation risk (€) and not forcing those who don't have the ability to pay with paypal or are simply against it.

Well, I don't really like that paypal is the only system available either, but you should note that for most events you are actually allowed to register at the door.
The events that you will not be able to register for at the venue are Feet, 6X6, 7X7, 4x4 blind, 5x5 blind and multi-blind. Probably not the most popular events for the 8 years old kids whose parents won't use paypal, and they are quite time consuming/annoying to organise, so I think that's a somewhat reasonable decision.

Last edited:

Erik

WCA
2005AKKE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well, I don't really like that paypal is the only system available either, but you should note that for most events you are actually allowed to register at the door.
The events that you will not be able to register for at the venue are Feet, 6X6, 7X7, 4x4 blind, 5x5 blind and multi-blind. Probably not the most popular events for the 8 years old kids whose parents won't use paypal, and they are quite time consuming/annoying to organise, so I think that's a somewhat reasonable decision.

Yes it might not have a big impact on this specific competition, but it might as well be the start of a new trend. Not too long ago the system was only used at a few competitions in Germany as well. Now there are almost exclusively pre-pay competitions. After talking to some of the organizers of these competitions they mostly told me they just followed the trend and that they did not think about the issue I described at all. Some replied they just did not care about those who would not make it, which I think is a bad attitude.

Anthony

Professional Speedcuber
WCA
2008SEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hmm, I think I can make this work.

I see that there's an option to sleep at the venue for free. Great! But what about showering..?

Looking into the recommended hotel, Danhostel Roskilde, there are a number of cheap (by US standards) rooms for groups of people. A room to comfortably sleep eight is 3600DKK for four nights (less than 700USD total/$20-22 per person each night).

Thoughts? Anyone interested?