• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

105x105x105 Rubik's cube solve attempt

soup

YouTube
Visit Channel
I'll attempt to solve a 105x105x105 cube over the course of a few weeks. I'm confident that it'll be done within roughly 200 ~ 250 hours of solve time. I'll be live feeding my attempt, as well as recording via hypercam to upload a time-lapse. Hopefully, this will set a record for largest cube ever solved by hand. The current largest cube ever solved by hand I'm aware of is 100x100x100.

Live feed is here

Christopher Mowla

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
About how many hours of solve time have you spent solving this 105^3 so far? I made an approximation formula (it gives an estimated "optimal" official average solve time in seconds for a cube of size n...it's based on the current official 3x3x3 Avg. WR) while back, and it gives an average solve time for the 105^3 to be approximately 1220 hours, which is over 7 full (24 hours a day) weeks of solve time. I'm just curious. :)

EDIT:
Okay, so you're just beginning now (for some odd reason I didn't catch that). I guess well see. No pressure, just have fun!

Last edited:

uniacto

WCA
2013KWON01
YouTube
Visit Channel
605970-282-mother-of-god.jpg

that thing is gargantuan.

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
About how many hours of solve time have you spent solving this 105^3 so far? I made an approximation formula (it gives an estimated "optimal" official average solve time in seconds for a cube of size n...it's based on the current official 3x3x3 Avg. WR) while back, and it gives an average solve time for the 105^3 to be approximately 1220 hours, which is over 7 full (24 hours a day) weeks of solve time. I'm just curious. :)
Your formula is O(n^4/log(n)). That is probably because you tried to fit records on real times, and real-cube times have factors such as a decrease in cube stability and turnspeed as the number of layers increases. (Also, you're overfitting the data... a LOT :p) This is unrealistic for computer cubes because as the number of layers increases the difficulty of turning the cube stays the same, and in fact, the difficulty of finding pieces peaks at some point - essentially, it becomes impossible to just scan the cube and find the right piece, so you have to switch to more local guess-and-check type strategies which pretty much take a constant amount of time (relative to cube size). What I'm saying is that the time taken per piece increases for a bit, and then more or less levels off, as cube size increases. The number of pieces is O(n^2) so there you go.

I know soup took ~16 hours for the 40x40x40. That works out to about 6.31 seconds per piece. At that speed he would finish the 105x105x105 in 113.7 hours. Actually, I think he's being quite generous with his time estimate, but we'll see!