• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

1 AvG competition 2013

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have something quite exciting to announce. After going to more than 100 competitions it is finally time to organise my own competition. It took a while to find a location that would be available but I finally found 1 in Delft. So I would like to invite all of you (well, 40 is about the maximum) to the "1 AvG".

As you would expect from me, this competition won't be quite normal. It is actually on Monday, April 1 (April Fools) which is also an official holiday because of Easter. It is called "1 AvG" because of several reasons, most importantly because it is the last day that I could actually claim to be the 1 (and only) AvG. The next day miss Aki Kunikoshi will become miss Aki van Galen.

Because this is a really last minute announcement I am now posting this here so you can already register. The official competition website is also being worked on right now so a schedule should be available soon. The basic idea is to do 1 round of 3bld, 3oh, 6x6x6, 7x7x7, megaminx, pyraminx, square-1 and clock and 2 rounds of 2-5 with some mystery events as a bonus.

The competition is nicely reachable by car and the train station isn't too far away. There will be some place in my house availabe for others to stay before and after the competition and hopefully other people in Delft and the surrounding cities are willing to let some people stay at their places as well. There are some nice hotels/hostels/campings in Delft, but if you really want to make it a special Cubeday+night there is only 1 thing to do: stay at the cube-houses-hostel in Rotterdam

If you want to come, please register immediately at http://worldcubeassociation.org/results/c.php?i=1AVG2013. It is free

See you there!

AvGalen

Premium Member
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You're getting married? :eek: Is this the same Japanese girl I quickly met on skype a couple of years back?
Yep, like a modern day fairytale :)

I am having trouble connecting to the FTP to update the website, so I am just posting the preliminary schedule here for speed:

EventRoundTime limitFormat# competitorsStart
Registration09:00
Rubik's ClockFinal5 minutesAverage of 509:00
Square-1Final5 minutesAverage of 509:15
MegaminxFinal5 minutesAverage of 509:45
7x7x7 CubeFinal10 minutesMean of 310:15
Rubik's Cube: BlindfoldedFinal10 minutesBest of 311:00
Rubik's Cube: One HandedFinal5 minutesAverage of 511:30
6x6x6 CubeFinal10 minutesMean of 312:00
PyraminxFinal5 minutesAverage of 512:45
Rubik's Cube1st5 minutesAverage of 575% proceed13:15
2x2x2 Cube1st5 minutesAverage of 575% proceed14:15
4x4x4 Cube1st5 minutesAverage of 575% proceed14:45
5x5x5 Cube1st5 minutesAverage of 575% proceed15:30
5x5x5 CubeFinal5 minutesAverage of 516:30
4x4x4 CubeFinal5 minutesAverage of 517:00
2x2x2 CubeFinal5 minutesAverage of 517:30
Rubik's CubeFinal5 minutesAverage of 517:45
Winner’s Ceremony18:15

kalyk

WCA
2012ANDR06
There are specific time limits to do the average of 5 ? or anyone who is under the time limit to do the event can also do the average ? (Am I going to finally have a 5x5 and 6x6 average time in my WCA profile ? :D)

Last edited:

hcfong

WCA
2011FONG02
Ooh, 2 rounds of 3x3 with 75% going through. This means there is a realistic chance of me going through to the 3x3 finals for the first (and probably only) time ever :)

TMOY

WCA
2008COUR01
I won't be there, sorry :mad:. I have something else planned for the whole Easter weekend (including Monday) for a long time.

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Though I won't be able to make this, I'm sure it will be an awesome competition. Great to hear about your upcoming marriage - I wish you the best, Arnaud.

AvGalen

Premium Member
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
There are specific time limits to do the average of 5 ? or anyone who is under the time limit to do the event can also do the average ? (Am I going to finally have a 5x5 and 6x6 average time in my WCA profile ? :D)
I am taking a bit of a risk here. I really want this competition to be interesting for experienced cubers AND for firsttimers. I personally really hate it when I cannot do an average on a puzzle.
I will not have any cut off times to do an average. So every solve that you do that is under the time limit (10 minutes for 6x6x6, 7x7x7 and 3blind, 5 minutes for everything else) can do an average. I am actually going to put all the slow people in the first group so people that are slower can still solve while the second group starts without holding up the competition.
Just to be clear, here are two examples:
Event = 5x5x5 with a 5 minute time limit
Solve 1: 5:30 minutes. This cannot really happen because as soon as your timer reaches 5 minutes your solve will be stopped and the result is a DNF
Solve 2: big pop, it takes you a few extra minutes to reassemble the cube. After the timer reaches 5 minutes your solve will be stopped and the result is DNF
Solve 3: 4:40. Congratulations, this one counts. Unfortunately you already have 2 DNF's so you cannot get an average anymore
Solve 4: 4:20. Congrats again, PB
Solve 5: DNF again, because you had another problem and couldn't solve in under 5 minutes.
Result: Single = 4:20, Average = DNF

Event = 4x4x4 with a 5 minute time limit
Solve 1: 2 minutes. Congrats, keep going
Solve 2: big pop (stop doing that). You cannot reassemble and solve within 5 minutes so it is a DNF
Solve 3: 1:30. Getting faster!
Solve 4: 0:45 What the....
Solve 5: 0:15 Okay, I think you are cheating but otherwise this is a WR!
Result: Single = 0:15, Average = (2:00 + 1:30 + 0:45)/3 = 1:25

Wehh I wanna go but then on Tuesday I'm going to be pooped as I already have something the day before. Two days of something (like Eindhoven) is exceptional, I was lucky to have my holiday planned right after.

I'd really love to come but the only way for me is to hitch a ride with someone. Train is too much financially and car.. doable but concentration is too low and I don't want to risk driving with that :(

But.. you guys have a LOT of fun now, ya hear!! And congrats on the marriage!

hcfong

WCA
2011FONG02
Wehh I wanna go but then on Tuesday I'm going to be pooped as I already have something the day before. Two days of something (like Eindhoven) is exceptional, I was lucky to have my holiday planned right after.

I'd really love to come but the only way for me is to hitch a ride with someone. Train is too much financially and car.. doable but concentration is too low and I don't want to risk driving with that :(

But.. you guys have a LOT of fun now, ya hear!! And congrats on the marriage!

If transport is the only problem, I'm sure we could sort something out to pick you up. Geert and I will be travelling together from Eindhoven, so we could pick you up on the way.

You would really want to do that??

I can pm with more info on where I live if you want.. it IS quite a ways west from Eindhoven, near Roosendaal roughly.

I HAVE my car.. thing is.. with 31 March being booked with family all the way in south Limburg, and then driving the next day to and back from Delft.. I'm afraid I'm going to be too tired to drive back safely. Someone else may be able to do that without issues, but I fear I cannot. :(

Let me know if that is doable (again, I will PM you) because I'd really love to come and see you all again!

Ah. I see car is full. Too bad. Never mind the pm then :)

avgdi

WCA
2011VAND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Well, after marriage there would be Aki, so a "2 AvG" will surely happen.
And yes: Children will receive an "A"-name as well and will be great excuses for "3 AvG" up untill "7 AvG" in the years ahead

That's awesome that you plan to give your children A names.

I've gone by AVG for years because of my initials. And when I got married recently, my wife Amy became AVG2.
And we also plan to give our children (not any time soon :)) A names as well. AVG3, AVG4, etc.