• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Best spring swap mods

Wylie28

WCA
2014FORI01
How am i possible to swap ss6 springs to dayan springs because when i swap the springs, screw dont go to hole perfectly and peaces are unable to turn well (at least I think so)? Big thanks if someone can help
im not sure I bought mine the way it was, im pretty sure he said dayan springs but I could be wrong

WCA
2009SHEE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I never really liked the AoSu as much as all the people who hyped it up and said it was amazing. For me, it was either too tight and didn't turn well, or it was too loose and popped sometimes, usually large pops.

I swiched the springs to Dayan 3x3 springs (fairly sure it was Dayan, but they were softer springs anyway). I think it's much better now. It's loose enough to be fast and turn well and seems to be much more stable - it hasn't popped once. It's far better than it was before and I'm pretty sure the tensions aren't even yet, I'm less bothered with fine-tuning tensions with it now as it's much more forgiving of uneven tensions, but I'll do it properly eventually.

scottishcuber

WCA
2013MAHM02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I kind of want to try this now. Will the standard springs off a Zhanchi or Guhong work? More importantly, will I have to take the Aosu completely apart to swap the springs?

Zhanchi or guhong would work.
You don't have to take apart the whole thing, just sections big enough to take out the screw and spring (opp wing pairs and the 4 centers on each side)...although it wont be well tensioned.

WCA
2014BLOC01
Zhanchi or guhong would work.
You don't have to take apart the whole thing, just sections big enough to take out the screw and spring (opp wing pairs and the 4 centers on each side)...although it wont be well tensioned.

Wound up taking the whole thing apart, took an hour and a half to put back together (though part of that was time spent lubing it), but it felt good. I'll try it again at some point when I'm fully awake.

guysensei1

WCA
2014WENW01
Thanks! My Aoshi arrives soon, probably around Thursday, along with a set of Dayan hardware, and I have Aosu springs in my zhanchi, so I eagerly await the results!

Aosu springs in a zhanchi? Does it work good?

Hi All I was about to buy some springs for my mini shengshou 7x7, and I was wondering should I get the 57/55mm cube springs and screws? Thanks.

The 57 and 55mm zhanchi hardware are identical.

guysensei1

WCA
2014WENW01
Nope.

Tried any spring swaps for the aoshi yet?

Tried swapping it to Dayan springs, I ended up setting the tensions a little too tight and I couldn't even fit my screwdriver in to loosen it. So I tried popping out some pieces and broke an oblique. [insert swear word here]

Anyway, mini Shengshou 7x7 with aosu springs is good. Not sure if it's any different to SS 6x6 springs.

EDIT: the aoshi is an absolute nightmare to assemble. Seriously. Many many times I've almost had the first eighth of the cube assembled, and the whole thing just disintegrates.

Last edited:

~Adam~

WCA
2011GREE03
EDIT: the aoshi is an absolute nightmare to assemble. Seriously. Many many times I've almost had the first eighth of the cube assembled, and the whole thing just disintegrates.

Oh noes. I'm making 2 AoShi Illusions so have to do it twice. Did you try loosening off the tensions a lot? On the AoChuang I loosened every side by 2 full turns before I could get the 1st 1/8th together without an explosion.