• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Rubik's Cube 2.0 Released

Renslay

WCA
2005HANT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm 90% sure I should be keeping this secret, but who cares:

Rubik's interviewed me at World Championships. They let me try this cube (Rubik's 2.0), and it was pretty crappy, but better than the original. Corner cutting still kinda suffered. But here is the juicy stuff:

After the interview, a Rubik's representative lady had another cube for me to try and she recorded a solve of me using it. It was a Rubik's speedcube. I turned it, and oh my god. It was actually really good. It felt somewhat like a Fangshi without the sandy feeling. It was fast and insanely stable. I knew it wouldn't pop for its life. I think it also had tiles (or did I confuse it with the other one?) and it definitely had adjustable screws. iirc the corner cutting was fairly good (1 piece or 45 degrees). My solve was 12, which sucked, but it was also the second day of worlds right after multi BLD and I was not so great that day. I got a 13.99 average that day, so I guess that was good for Saturday. But here's what you guys won't believe:
The cube was unlubed and untensioned, totally out of the box. That's right. It was faster than my 55mm zhanchi, and this thing was completely out of the box. Now just imagine how amazing a lubed cube would be. :eek:

Wow. Just wow. A Rubik speedcube? Mind is blown.

So, there is a Rubik 2.0 and besides that an actual Rubik speedcube?

Coolster01

WCA
2011SBAH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Wow. Just wow. A Rubik speedcube? Mind is blown.

So, there is a Rubik 2.0 and besides that an actual Rubik speedcube?

It's weird. I wish I saw the mechanism, and I wish I could've solved it more. All the other interviewed people were probably noobs because when I told the lady it was my 9th comp, she was rather surprised.

Yep, never thought the day would come... Probably won't be out so soon, though. ;(

kinch2002

Premium Member
WCA
2009SHEP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm 90% sure I should be keeping this secret, but who cares...etc
Over 6 months ago I got 2 different Rubik's prototypes. One was the new storebought. A few months ago the idea of new storebought was made public, so I made a video of a decent few solves on the prototype (it's embedded somewhere before on this thread, or you can find it on my yt channel). However, I didn't mention that I had another cube on my shelf...I have asked Chrisi (from Seventowns) what the situation is now. Hopefully I can make a video of the other cube.

Coolster01

WCA
2011SBAH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Over 6 months ago I got 2 different Rubik's prototypes. One was the new storebought. A few months ago the idea of new storebought was made public, so I made a video of a decent few solves on the prototype (it's embedded somewhere before on this thread, or you can find it on my yt channel). However, I didn't mention that I had another cube on my shelf...I have asked Chrisi (from Seventowns) what the situation is now. Hopefully I can make a video of the other cube.

You have it?! :O

Show the mechanism!

Spaxxy

WCA
2013COHE01
I'm 90% sure I should be keeping this secret, but who cares:

Rubik's interviewed me at World Championships. They let me try this cube (Rubik's 2.0), and it was pretty crappy, but better than the original. Corner cutting still kinda suffered. But here is the juicy stuff:

After the interview, a Rubik's representative lady had another cube for me to try and she recorded a solve of me using it. It was a Rubik's speedcube. I turned it, and oh my god. It was actually really good. It felt somewhat like a Fangshi without the sandy feeling. It was fast and insanely stable. I knew it wouldn't pop for its life. I think it also had tiles (or did I confuse it with the other one?) and it definitely had adjustable screws. iirc the corner cutting was fairly good (1 piece or 45 degrees). My solve was 12, which sucked, but it was also the second day of worlds right after multi BLD and I was not so great that day. I got a 13.99 average that day, so I guess that was good for Saturday. But here's what you guys won't believe:
The cube was unlubed and untensioned, totally out of the box. That's right. It was faster than my 55mm zhanchi, and this thing was completely out of the box. Now just imagine how amazing a lubed cube would be. :eek:

Are you serious? Wow, can't wait to hear more about that!

5BLD

WCA
2011LAUA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Oh I think I may as well mention that I have been given a couple (speedcubes) to try and they're not awful good (it's too noisy, too locky, one set of springs don't work, and the ones that do work have little give, there's little centre flexibility, not enough turning resistance. but the stickers are good). I have spoken to the designer but he seems reluctant to change his ways.

The fast solves you have seen of it may have been me; I suspect they wouldn't have notified me before using my video.

I'm surprised some of you have mentioned it is good. Perhaps I received old ones.

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The current non-ball core Rubik's brand has rivets and can't be tensioned like the one you would find at a toy store back in 2010.

That's still tensioned. Just usually not very well, and probably not re-tensionable (I've always suspected that you could at least push the rivets deeper).

The rubiks 2.0 still sucks.

Why/how? And where have you tried one?

Coolster01

WCA
2011SBAH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It was most likely lubed and certainly tensioned (how could it not be?).

Because the Rubik's representative lady gave me the cube and told me it was completely like new when you get it, out of the box, unlubed, and untensioned.

Maybe I exaggerated a teeny bit when I said it was up to par with top speedcubes, but I can still see it being many peoples' mains. And if it is lubed/broken in/tensioned it might dominate. It never locked up on me and it was rather fast. The plastic was just soo much better.

rj

WCA
2015PLAT03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Because the Rubik's representative lady gave me the cube and told me it was completely like new when you get it, out of the box, unlubed, and untensioned.

Maybe I exaggerated a teeny bit when I said it was up to par with top speedcubes, but I can still see it being many peoples' mains. And if it is lubed/broken in/tensioned it might dominate. It never locked up on me and it was rather fast. The plastic was just soo much better.

Wow!
Moyu will still be cheaper, though.

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Plenty of (assembled) cubes these days come already lubed. The days when they really came unlubed seem long gone (years ago). Is it possible she didn't really know?

5BLD

WCA
2011LAUA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
She's a representative. She couldn't not know.

The guy I met prepared the cube for me by screwing them in all the way. Well at least he knows the chemical formula for differential oil. Also the designer doesn't know how to solve a cube.

Last edited:
WCA
2014TIUA01
The guy I met prepared the cube for me by screwing them in all the way. Well at least he knows the chemical formula for differential oil. Also the designer doesn't know how to solve a cube.

Geez, how would he even know what would make a pleasing mechanism then? That seems kinda ridiculous. And screwing in all the way? Lol.

Where could we find a vid of you using the 2.0? It would be interesting to see the M-slice performance on it.