Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HOw to solve 5x5x5 or 4x4x4 Faster?

Default HOw to solve 5x5x5 or 4x4x4 Faster?

OK, guys, I already searched the forum and there is no question like this.

Well, a few days ago, I saw Frank Morris' 5x5x5 solving video, To be a little slower than that, about 10 min (ignoring the fingertricks), do I need to learn the algorithms? Because, from my personal experience, I must do the center and the edges separately, While from my point of view, He looked like do that in the same time? Is there any algorithms for it? Or, it is just purely intuitive and practice is the key.......

The same goes for my 4x4x4 solving.
    3x3x3 best :36.78(Non-Lucky ^^)
    3x3x3 ave 5 :41.32http://jesus-youth-generation.blogspot.com

WCA Profile
    2009MCMA01
    YouTube
    Portal3

I'm averaging 12 minutes for 5x5x5 (I don't practice much) so my thoughts on this might not be that credible. :-P

Tredge pairing is mostly intuitive. As you saw, you can create a tredge with two slice moves as long as you setup the edges in the correct orientation with respect to the center edge. If you consider edge pairing to be <slice><save pair><slice back> then I suppose you could say both edges were paired at the same time in his video. I.e. <slice><save pair><slice><save pair><slice back><slice back>

You don't have to "slice back" for the first 8 tredges. You can just ensure that the centers have parallel lines and work with that.

Tim.

Administrator
    WCA Profile
    2007JAME01
    YouTube
    rubiksmaster12

The reason Frank looked like he was solving both the edges and centers at the same time was because he uses an edge pairing method in which the centers are not always completely solved when he is pairing. This method is explained pretty well at bigcubes.com

As for 4x4, i recommend to experiment with 2 or 6 pairs at a time.

The key, in my opinion, is to have a consistent speed, look ahead as much as possible, and practice.
    Team #

You don't need to do it like he's doing it to get fast.

Look ahead is the key. You also have to learn some algs for the last two pairs.

YouTube
    pcwizcube

I would recommend just practicing. I started doing the 4x4 like a week ago, and I could get solves of around 3:30. I did the centers, edges using 2 pairs at a time, and solving like a 3x3. I'm faster than you at solving a 3x3, but I think you can get times of around 4:30 average. Just keep on practicing. If you times don't get better after 50 solves (don't do it all in one day), then you should come asking.

I don't know about he 5x5, because I don't know how to solve one, but I'm sure practicing a lot will improve your times.
    Previously known as Rubik's Cube Fan (May 2008 - Feb. 2011 ) and currently known as PCwizCube (Feb. 2011 - present)

Sorry Mr TimMc, I don't quite understand about this thing:

If you consider edge pairing to be <slice><save pair><slice back> then I suppose you could say both edges were paired at the same time in his video. I.e. <slice><save pair><slice><save pair><slice back><slice back>

You don't have to "slice back" for the first 8 tredges. You can just ensure that the centers have parallel lines and work with that
    For Mr. PatrickJameson, I don't quite understand this:

And are you saying, that when Frank solve the cube, he did the tredges first then the centers? Sorry, I don't quite understand bigcubes.com....

Oh yeah, how come my thread in offtopic discussion is gone? Sorry, I don't know whre to ask so I include it in this thread. It is about the "money from ads" thingy

Thanks everyone!!

WCA Profile
    2009MCMA01
    YouTube
    Portal3

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Sorry Mr TimMc, I don't quite understand about this thing:

If you consider edge pairing to be <slice><save pair><slice back> then I suppose you could say both edges were paired at the same time in his video. I.e. <slice><save pair><slice><save pair><slice back><slice back>

You don't have to "slice back" for the first 8 tredges. You can just ensure that the centers have parallel lines and work with that
    tredge = three edges grouped together in the correct orientation

You can create a tredge using slice moves (M, E or S):
    - Find all three edges that you want to put together
    - Position them so that you can do a few slice movement
    - Ensure that the slice movements you're about to do do not effect any tredges that have already been made (i.e. move complete tredges onto faces that wont be affected by the slice moves)
    - Do the appropriate slice moves so that the tredge is created

Tim.

OK, but isn't that will take more time? Since I must search the tredges pieces then, I will align them. Because, what I do is that I will align the 2 edge pieces then, I will align it with other edge piece? Do you get what I mean.

Looking ahead is the answer for speed with those cubes. As you are putting together a dedge or tredge you must be locating the next peice that you will need for the subsequent move. It takes time to get the hang of this so that you have no (or occasional minimal) pauses between matching up the dedge/tredge peices. Unfortunately, there are no short cuts to this other than practicing lots.

Example using 4x4.....Make sure as you are slotting in the pair to make your present dredge you look at the other half of the pair you are bring in and start looking for it right away for the next move. It will also help to remember any locations of unsolved pairs so you don't have to search but just know where they are. Try doing it slowly with as little amount of pausing as possible so that you are constantly turning the tube and solving non stop. When you get a feel for searching and remembering, gradually speed it up until it is a fluid motion. I cut from around 4 to around 2 fairly quickly using this method and I still have lots of room for improvement.

I used AvGalen's method with is Centers first in a couple of different ways to choose from, edges/tredges, 3x3. I like the way he does the 5x5 because it has only 1 type of parity which is easy to fix.
    Last edited by jonny guitar; 05-05-2008 at 01:00 PM.

Administrator
    WCA Profile
    2007JAME01
    YouTube
    rubiksmaster12

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    For Mr. PatrickJameson, I don't quite understand this:

And are you saying, that when Frank solve the cube, he did the tredges first then the centers? Sorry, I don't quite understand bigcubes.com....
    No, he solves the centers first. Then when he gets to the edges, he pairs them up in the E slice and just replaces the existing tredges with other tredges that have the piece he needs to pair. This means that the E slice centers will sometimes be off.

Don't worry, it took me a while to get it. I recommend AvG edge pairing method to start.
    Team #