• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

US Nationals 2014 - Jersey City, New Jersey - August 1-3, 2014

IMSLOW1097

WCA
2009ABRA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
why does no one believe this is possible? i have a good venue idea that has held competitions before, and i know how to handle sponsorship. but most of all: I AM NOT LETTING NATIONALS GO. I know to lead. I have the passion, the motivation, and the drive. PLEASE let me do this.

Noahaha

blindmod
WCA
2012ARTH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
why does no one believe this is possible? i have a good venue idea that has held competitions before, and i know how to handle sponsorship. but most of all: I AM NOT LETTING NATIONALS GO. I know to lead. I have the passion, the motivation, and the drive. PLEASE let me do this.

I think you need a more coherent plan. It's possible for anyone to run nationals, but no one is going to listen to you until you actually talk to the people on your organization team who you volunteered without them knowing and give accurate evaluations of venue costs, capabilities etc.

ducttapecuber

Premium Member
WCA
2014SHIE03

It is a great idea to have an east coast nationals.
All you need to get together is a team of 5-10 people who are willing to co-organize. There are several organizers on the east coast that would be willing. Contact these people, have a strong team of people. The more people on your team the more appealing it is for them to want to take on the task. Share all your ideas publically, such as your venue idea, sponsorship, costs, ect. Your hardest part is going to be trying to prive to the community (and Tyson) that you and your team are able to organize this event

shelley

chang
WCA
2004CHAN04
Sharing ideas is easy. People can talk about venue ideas all they want, but if nobody does anything about it, it's not going to happen. That's the hard part.

IMSLOW1097

WCA
2009ABRA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I actually have a few points to my plan:
1. I have a great connection with some delegates, such as Mike Hughey and Jim Mertens, who i can assume would love to help me organize this. I also know some other organizers and prominent cubers in the east coast/midwest area, including John Brechon, Anthony Brooks, Keaton Ellis, Albert You, and others. I could definitely create a decent group of organizers with this group of people.
2. I have a venue in mind: Liberty Science Center.
2a. I know the president of Liberty Science Center, Paul Hoffman, personally; we met while i was helping out with LSC's cubing demo at the Association of Science and Technology Centers convention (ASTC) in columbus last month. He is very into learning more about the cube and speed cubing.
2b. They have 2 large ballrooms at LSC and many other board rooms; the largest ballroom seats 800 people and is 11,000 square feet (by comparison, the Archie griffin ballroom at Ohio State held 1100 people at 17,000 square feet, and had lots of leftover space).
2c. LSC will be holding a rubik's cube exhibit starting in April of 2014. This would be great to coincide w/nationals!
3. i know the owner of E3cubestore personally (he sponsored the New albany 2012 comp), and i know a guy who knows Eric Zhao very well. We could very well have both of these guys sponsor.

AustinReed

WCA
2011REED01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I actually have a few points to my plan:
1. I have a great connection with some delegates, such as Mike Hughey and Jim Mertens, who i can assume would love to help me organize this. I also know some other organizers and prominent cubers in the east coast/midwest area, including John Brechon, Anthony Brooks, Keaton Ellis, Albert You, and others. I could definitely create a

And what if they don't want to help out/ can't go?

JasonK

Premium Member
WCA
2011KILB01
I know at least 2 will, and i have a few more people who i know would be interested who have organized. And, come to think of it, what if they do?
Also, it would be greatly appreciated it you could please not type so condescendingly.Thank you.

He's not being condescending, he's being realistic.

JonnyWhoopes

Premium Member
WCA
2011GRAY02
YouTube
Visit Channel
sorry, i got a bit carried away. but is it really his job to play devil's advocate?
Also, all i ask is to be taken seriously. please just do so.

We are taking you seriously. And we're asking that you seriously consider the questions presented to you. In stead of getting all defensive and calling people condescending and such, DO something about it.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think that unless you are either a delegate, or have experience similar to that of a delegate (I would say a few non-delegate organizers in the US qualify, but not many), you probably shouldn't be volunteering to run US Nationals.

Also, I think that if you are proposing plans here that involve other people without discussing it with them first, you're demonstrating a lack of sufficient maturity to be running US Nationals. Prior to responding to this thread, you should probably have already put together a team similar to the 8-person (or so) organizational team that has run previous US Nationals and have a good, realistic venue planned for which you have already verified suitability for the size and nature of the competition, possibility of availability, and reasonable cost.

Last edited:
WCA
2010CANT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Honestly, I would prefer it being not in Vegas partially because... Its Vegas.

Also, it would be for a third year in a row. To me, half the fun of big competitions like this is that they normally travel from place to place and you get to visit different places.
If it's in Vegas again, I might not come (my dad might not want to bring me because we've already been there twice for 2 large competitions).

PS: I almost volunteered to run it, but then realized I can't, since I'm in Canada.

Sebastien

Premium Member
WCA
2008AURO01
And sorry....I was pissed for other reasons last night. Sorry for being so defensive. I just wanted to help. If people want to talk, please count me in. I'm obviously not suited for the task.

Don't be mad. In contrast to most of the replies in this thread you tried to be productive and helpful. I actually disliked most of the reactions you got very much.

Mike has a very valid point though that you should read again and review for yourself. But besides keep up your attitude and your motivation and you will be able to organize some great competitions in the future!