• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

US Nationals 2014 - Jersey City, New Jersey - August 1-3, 2014

cubernya

Premium Member
I would like to see a US Nats 2014, but I honestly don't like the idea of it staying on the west coast. I think it should at least be on the east coast every third year or so.

Tyson

WCA
2004MAOT02
But that wasn't the question I asked. If you want it on the east coast, then feel free to organize it yourself. Is that what you would prefer?

The team does not have time to organize another US Nationals after 2013 at this point. So unless someone steps up and says they will lead the project, there are two options. First, hold it in Vegas. The reason why this is viable is because after doing this for two years, the work required to run this event is much much easier. Second, have another team host the event.

So if you're saying you want it on the east coast, you need to be ready to hold the event yourself.

Let's be clear. Yes, all of you are going to say "just hold US 2014 on the east coast." If you say that, you're not reading my post and you're not answering my question.

Last edited:

HelpCube

YouTube
Visit Channel
If it has to be, I would much rather see another organizational team run it. 2 years in a row was a little strange in Vegas, but 3 would just be absurd.

Tyson

WCA
2004MAOT02
If it has to be, I would much rather see another organizational team run it. 2 years in a row was a little strange in Vegas, but 3 would just be absurd.

Again, that statement is not allowed unless you are leading this organizational team. Are you leading the organizational team?

STOP WASTING TIME! Seriously, read what I've written, and understand it before you waste time. You can't talk about this other theoretical organizational team that's going to run US 2014 in your backyard. Unless that team is you, then stop talking about things that don't exist.

HelpCube

YouTube
Visit Channel
Again, that statement is not allowed unless you are leading this organizational team. Are you leading the organizational team?

STOP WASTING TIME! Seriously, read what I've written, and understand it before you waste time. You can't talk about this other theoretical organizational team that's going to run US 2014 in your backyard. Unless that team is you, then stop talking about things that don't exist.

What? Read your own OP.

More specifically, would you rather hold US Nationals 2014 in Las Vegas, or would you rather see it held by a different organizational team.

I answered ^^ that question. I see nothing wrong with what I said. Also, I didn't mention my backyard at all.

Tyson

WCA
2004MAOT02
Okay fine. But your statement doesn't actually help. I'll amend my rules and say that no one can talk about "another organizational team" unless they are that organizational team.

mitch1234

WCA
2010LANE02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I really liked how Nats 2012 was run, the team did a very good job and I would surely be happy to see large competitions run with the same system and people. I thought Tyson and others did a really good job with organizing and running the competition. So I'd like to see the competition run by the same organizational team as with Nats 2012 and Worlds 2013 that is coming up (if they are the same team).

Would you rather hold US Nationals 2014 in Las Vegas again, or would you rather not hold US Nationals 2014. More specifically, would you rather hold US Nationals 2014 in Las Vegas, or would you rather see it held by a different organizational team.

I'm down with Vegas again, but are there options besides The Riviera?

Tyson

WCA
2004MAOT02
I'm down with Vegas again, but are there options besides The Riviera?

Are there options besides The Riviera? The answer is no, for 1.5 reasons. I'll explain, but I'd be curious to understand what your thinking as to what was wrong with The Riviera that you weren't happy with it. Wait, were you even there in 2012? You weren't right? Why don't you like The Riviera?

Answer 1: any other place will have crappier space and will be more expensive. Very few places have halls large enough for us, and the pricing of the convention space at the Riviera is easily a factor of 3 cheaper than other places. Plus, you have to deal with room commitments and pricing. In short, I don't think you can find a better deal. And I really don't think you can find a deal on the budget of US Nationals. We charged what we did in 2012 because we had to. Simply said, any convention hall that is capable of holding a 250 person Rubik's Cube competition will cost you so much money, that no one would be willing to pay for it.

Answer 2: No, because if you do the event outside of The Riviera, the effort to figure out all the logistics would be the same as doing it an any new place. If the current organizational team lead (me) were willing to put in that effort, we would just do it on the east coast.

Edit, sorry, Tim Sun was indeed at US 2012. But yeah, why don't you want it there? The only reason why we're in Vegas is because The Riviera is affordable.

Divineskulls

WCA
2011RECH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I really like the idea of having Nats 2014 at the Riviera again. Mostly because I don't see anyone stepping up and finding a venue and organizing it, other than someone higher up on the 2012 staff. But don't some organizations have set places/cities that they have their big events at? I can't really think of any at the moment, but I'm 90% sure some do. So its not like it hasn't been done before. I don't see a problem with it other than people that go to Nats every year complaining that they don't get to see other places.

In short, I'd much rather have Nationals 2014 in Vegas than have it not held at all(which will probably happen if it isn't in Vegas).

IMSLOW1097

WCA
2009ABRA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
this sounds COMPLETELY crazy right now, but I would be happy to organize Nationals 2014...i may live in columbus, OH (a place where it's already been held), but i'd probably be able to do it anywhere on the east coast. I am organizing my second new albany open, and the last one was quite successful. (We had 80 competitors, and we are working for 100 this year!). Nationals 2014 will be during the summer after my senior year in HS, so i will most likely have TONS of time, considering i'll probably be taking a year off before college (i'll be 16 when i graduate high school). I know that not even 17 may be a bit too young for hosting Nationals, but I would honestly be honored to do it.
PLEASE take this as an official offer.

AustinReed

WCA
2011REED01
YouTube
Visit Channel
this sounds COMPLETELY crazy right now, but I would be happy to organize Nationals 2014...i may live in columbus, OH (a place where it's already been held), but i'd probably be able to do it anywhere on the east coast. I am organizing my second new albany open, and the last one was quite successful. (We had 80 competitors, and we are working for 100 this year!). Nationals 2014 will be during the summer after my senior year in HS, so i will most likely have TONS of time, considering i'll probably be taking a year off before college (i'll be 16 when i graduate high school). I know that not even 17 may be a bit too young for hosting Nationals, but I would honestly be honored to do it.
PLEASE take this as an official offer.

Organizing Nationals. Alone. After organizing one comp.

I don't know if you know what you're getting yourself into.