• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Number of posts

badmephisto

YouTube
Visit Channel
pjk, I suggest you remove the number of posts that shows up just below your name when you post. We get younglings that come to these forums just to grind the posts like points by reviving old threads and posting non-sense into them. By taking that away you would take away their sense of status that they are clearly striving to achieve for some reason.

take as an example this thread:
http://www.speedsolving.com/showthread.php?t=3153
can you believe noobcuber?

pcwiz

YouTube
Visit Channel
I like the number of posts - why don't you just put it in the rules. I don't know if anybody looks at the rules, but I do.

And give the guy a break, when I came to this forum, I also wanted to get my posts up, but I didn't revive old threads but did a little useless posts and got yelled at by masterofthebass. :(. Well I don't do it anymore (at least I think I don't) but the new comers will eventually learn.... (I hope)

Lofty

WCA
2008LOFT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Even if post count is removed members will still be junior, senior, etc so they will still try to get that higher...
I can't think of any measures that can be taken against it. People will always be dumb and people will always spam.

pcwiz

YouTube
Visit Channel
I say we just keep the posts, and remove the Junior Member, Member, and Senior Member stuff (keep the moderator, super moderator, and administrator) because there isn't any real use in that stuff and that's the reason people spam (as least that's what I did). I think that will make the situation better....

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
The easiest way to fix that problem is to warn the member, and if it continues, suspend them. I don't see any problem with leaving the post count below names. If you guys see someone doing that, please don't hesitate to PM them nicely and warn them. If you don't want to, please PM me to let me know. Thanks.

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think I have quite a post count as well, but I do tend to check the forums a few times a day, and I think the amount of posts I go through, my post count isn't really that much.

Inusagi

I think that you should lock all the old posts that is answered enough, and when the thread-starter say that hes post is answered, lock it.

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It should be removed. I don't see any benefit, only disadvantages. It's useless, wastes screen space, and at least two people admitted today they wrote useless post in order to increase their post count. Btw, the twistypuzzles forum removed post count today. Do you want that forum to have an advantage over this one?

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think that you should lock all the old posts that is answered enough, and when the thread-starter say that hes post is answered, lock it.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I still have about 300 unread topics to read/comment :p

And Stefan, that's not a valid question. It hasn't been proven that having no postcount is an advantage/disadvantage.

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I haven't really been on this forum for about a month. Have things really changed that much?

When I was a newbie I simply read every post there was on this forum before I made my first post. I saw no reason to get my "count" up. That wouldn't have improved my abilities on the forum or generate any other kind of benefits.

Why would a high post count be good for a newbie?

shelley

chang
WCA
2004CHAN04
I guess you missed this incident then. Many of the threads in that screenshot were two or three months old before the newbie spam bumped it to the front page.

More recently, a newbie asked about the Junior Member/Member/Senior Member statuses. Shortly after, he bumped an old thread and when confronted about it replied "lol, I know I'm just trying to get my posts up above 30"

I think allowing posters to lock their own threads (if that's possible) once their questions have been answered might help.

Last edited:

badmephisto

YouTube
Visit Channel
I haven't really been on this forum for about a month. Have things really changed that much?

When I was a newbie I simply read every post there was on this forum before I made my first post. I saw no reason to get my "count" up. That wouldn't have improved my abilities on the forum or generate any other kind of benefits.

Why would a high post count be good for a newbie?

Just yesterday there was a thread in off-topic about the site rewards1.com or whatever it is, i think its removed now though (for good reasons too).
Basically someone recommended that site because it can get you "free" cubes. And someone posted right after that something along the lines of:

"...you only have 17 posts, why would you think that your opinion counts at all..."

what... the... hell...? It just shows that some of these people would think themselves more worthy of respect if they have more posts on this forum... its completely ridiculous.

fanwuq

WCA
2008FANW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
here's a plan:
you show pointless post numbers and useful post numbers. For pointless, you deduct so that people making stupid spam would have negative points and get the title spammer when it gets to negative -5.