• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Older cubers discussions

MarcelP

WCA
2012POOT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
How are you doing in Pyra? I am so bad, sometimes I need over a minute to solve it, and I think I never had a sub-30 solve :)
I somehow cannot get my mind around it. I think I'll have to try another method. Keyhole is to hard for me :)

Well.. I am very cool as you know.. so I have a sub 31 official average: http://www.worldcubeassociation.org/results/p.php?i=2012POOT01 LOL Even a 25.xx single.. without practice. I never practice Pyra. I watched the video of MonkeyDude to learn how to solve the pyra without algs. You might want to look into that then.. I am at the point where I want to be super cool like Melody (SneaklyFox) and do it in 6 seconds :) But it turns out that you can get sub 10 easy with the layer by layer method and you just need to practice. So that's what I am doing now... No real progress so far...

Gordon said:
Did you ever try Skewb? Skewb is fun!

I have a Skewb but do not yet really know how to solve it yet. I ordered a MoYu Skewb. When it comes I will pick up learning that too :) Any tips on what video to watch?

Gordon

WCA
2014LAZA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Maybe I have to look into the layer-by-layer method... any good tutorials?

I have a Skewb but do not yet really know how to solve it yet. I ordered a MoYu Skewb. When it comes I will pick up learning that too :) Any tips on what video to watch?

I first learned Ranzha's Method before my comp and even made it to the Final (that sounds great, even if there was only one round: https://www.worldcubeassociation.org/results/p.php?i=2014LAZA02)
Here is the first video of the series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv_UD5xnYx0

But after the comp I didn't practice anymore and forgot everything. Now I'm solving with Sarah's Beginners Method: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpykCxeMA6U

I just saw your video about the Gan III. Is it worth a try? And where do you order stickers? thecubicle?

MarcelP

WCA
2012POOT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I just saw your video about the Gan III. Is it worth a try? And where do you order stickers? thecubicle?

Did you see that 16 second solve on hand scramble orange cross in that video .. LOL.. (I love getting back to CN solving)

Yeah, the GAN 357 is definatly worth trying. It is less then 10$ and probably the fastest cube out there. It is very smooth and cuts 'everything'. The only downside is that because of that speed it is hard to control for me. If I did not have the AoLong V2 it would be my main. I did get sub 20 Ao12's with Gan 357.

Yes, I order stickers from thecubicle.us. I use fullbright with sky blue on black cubes. On white cubes I use MoYu color set.

Monkey dude's video: http://youtu.be/vPvmoSWfpcQ

Last edited:

Gordon

WCA
2014LAZA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks for the vid. Now when I see it, i can remember that I once learned a similar method.
No idea from where, but it was faster for me. Maybe I'll find it.

I guess I'll have to try the GAN 357. I didn't buy it until now, because the round center sticker kind of disturbed me :)
But now, together with a MoYu Skewb it's $17, which is not that much.

MarcelP

WCA
2012POOT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Some nice CN solves:

Generated By csTimer on 2014-8-22
solves/total: 6/6

single
best: 17.36
worst: 22.28

mean of 3
current: 19.21 (σ = 1.69)
best: 19.21 (σ = 1.69)

avg of 5
current: 19.79 (σ = 0.81)
best: 19.79 (σ = 0.81)

Average: 20.32 (σ = 1.25)
Mean: 20.15

Time List:
1. 22.28 U R2 D2 R2 B2 R2 U R2 D2 L' B' D B2 R2 D2 F R' F' R'
2. 19.10 F U2 B2 L2 U2 R2 F R2 B' D2 U2 R D B2 D2 B L2 U' R U
3. 21.92 D2 B F R2 F2 D2 R2 U2 F R2 D' L R U' F R2 D' B U2 L'
4. 17.36 R2 F2 L2 U R2 D' R2 B2 R2 U L2 B' L R U' F R B F D' L2
5. 19.59 B' L' F' R D B U' R2 U2 B U2 R2 F2 R B2 L' F2 U2 L2 F2
6. 20.68 U2 B L' F U' B2 R2 L F' L2 U F2 U2 B2 R2 D' L2 D F2 U'

Cube: AoLong V2 with stock stickers
[video=youtube_share;iCyjaF7L6Xo]http://youtu.be/iCyjaF7L6Xo[/video]

MarcelP

WCA
2012POOT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm pretty sure you are not at your peak. And neither is anyone who keeps practicing

I really hope so.. :) Like this weekend all averages where awesome. All Ao100's (did 4 of them) where sub 21. :) Weekends like this make me feel like there is room for improvement (appearantly). But when I look at the facts.. I have been around 22/23 seconds for more than the past 6 months. Improvement is really really slow although I put in the work. And at my age I feel like my max speed (TPS -wise) has reached. Only points to improve is lookahead.

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
And at my age I feel like my max speed (TPS -wise) has reached. Only points to improve is lookahead.
That's what I used to think but I don't believe it now, and I don't believe you're anywhere near maxed out on 3x3. Try PLL attacks or other alg drills to develop tps. I reach about 5tps on PLLs. If I can extend that to the whole solve, with perfect lookahead, 5tps = sub-12, on an efficient solve. I also found that learning and drilling more algs helps general tps because it taught me a wider variety of finger techniques. For example, my F2L also got faster after I learned to push U and U' more, through OLL practice.

MarcelP

WCA
2012POOT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
If only I could improve on PLL's I would shave 1 - 2 seconds of my average alone.. :) There might be some strech left, buy it takes more dedication than I can deliver in my life. Although cubing is probably the one thing I love doing the most, I have much other stuff to do that is more important. So with that in mind I do not think I will get a lot further.

Last edited:

Gordon

WCA
2014LAZA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I often thought that I am at a point were I will not improve anymore. Ususaly doing other disciplines for some days helped. I wasn't faster after that, but motivated again to put in some more effort. This then helped to improve.

In overal, my improvment is very slow. But I kind of don't care as long as I do improve my times.

Today I received my first package from cubezz.com. I always order cubes to work to be sure that I don't miss the package.
The package from cubezz is so well packaged that I cannot open it without a knife or so, so it's lying here next to me and slows down work-time like hell :)

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
There might be some strech left, buy it takes more dedication than I can deliver in my life. Although cubing is probably the one thing I love doing the most, I have much other stuff to do that is more important. So with that in mind I do not think I will get a lot further.
Marcel, your dedication and persistence is admired by many here. There is always room for improvement, it's just a question of doing the right things to achieve it. If anyone can, you can!

MarcelP

WCA
2012POOT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
In overal, my improvment is very slow.
The package from cubezz is so well packaged that I cannot open it without a knife or so, so it's lying here next to me and slows down work-time like hell :)

Well, your progress from sub 30 to sub 25 is fairly fast. Faster than you went from 35 to 30 I think :) But I agree with you that I do not really care about fast progress as long as you have progress :) What did get from Cubezz? Yeah, their packaging is pretty good. I like their shop a lot.

Marcel, your dedication and persistence is admired by many here. There is always room for improvement, it's just a question of doing the right things to achieve it. If anyone can, you can!

LOL, thanks. But correct me if I am wrong, but you are older than me (or at same age) and improving faster. I think you put more effort in than me. But thanks for the support. I appreciate it very much.

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
But correct me if I am wrong, but you are older than me (or at same age) and improving faster. I think you put more effort in than me.
Similar age I think (mid-40s?) and similarly preoccupied with family, job and other more important things, so I know where you're coming from there. I have hardly picked up a cube in two weeks.

I had a few weeks of fast progress recently, but when you account for the long plateaus, I don't think we're much different. I have been cubing almost two years now, so almost as long as you, and just behind you in averages.

Certainly I'm convinced it takes a lot more effort and a more intelligent training approach to make gains at our age, but don't lose heart. Probably, like me, you once thought sub-30 was approaching your limit :D. As long as it stays fun, we'll continue to improve.

How's your cross+1 these days? :D

MarcelP

WCA
2012POOT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've ordered a ShengShou Skewb and an AoLong V2.
I've recieved a ShengShou Skewb and a MoYu Skewb... But it's ok. I anyway wanted to buy also a MoYu Skewb. Im just glad that I didn't order one yet.

The good part is that you still can order an AoLong and wait for it ;) I love my MoYu Skewb. I master the Sara beginner method now. Time to step up to intermediate level :)

How's your cross+1 these days? :D

Well, after your recent progress you said you did 300 cross only solves per day or so. so I decided to do 500 per day for a week. And what do you know.. my cross is faster now. I think it is sub 5. Looking at my video's I do not see fast crosses, but I do see controlled crosses with smooth transitions. For example this average from today:

All solves: crosses + 1 sub 5, complete F2L in 12 - 13 secs, and last layer sub 6/7

[video=youtube_share;5Git1J_eshQ]http://youtu.be/5Git1J_eshQ?list=UUIXTiyCxjMTqLy2P_gV5Vxw[/video]

Gordon

WCA
2014LAZA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
The good part is that you still can order an AoLong and wait for it ;) I love my MoYu Skewb. I master the Sara beginner method now. Time to step up to intermediate level :)

Yup, as soon as I can top up my paypal account, I'll order (or should I say) try to order an AoLong V2 and Gan 357.

I like the SchengShou Skewb better. I took out the balls (I castrated the Skewb) and springs and now it turns without the clicking and very smooth.
I maybe try to put in the LanLan springs, but I'm not sure yet.

The MoYu is not bad either, but I've received in in original plastic color, which I do not really like.

Yesterday, I've learned some intermediate algos, but I've already forgot them :( If I have time, I'll continue today.