• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Older cubers discussions

moralsh

WCA
2013MORA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Wow Marcel, sweet solve, Blind is not hard at all, you just need to practice a bit everyday and if all the cube is a lot to memo at the begining you can do a couple of weeks of doing just edges or just corners. Sub 3 is definitely as easy as sub 30 on 3x3x3.

At comps I find it hard to perform OLLs and PLLs fast, I can do F2L ok, but I lock a lot at long algs, nerves...

MarcelP

WCA
2012POOT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Wow Marcel, sweet solve, Blind is not hard at all, you just need to practice a bit everyday and if all the cube is a lot to memo at the begining you can do a couple of weeks of doing just edges or just corners. Sub 3 is definitely as easy as sub 30 on 3x3x3.

At comps I find it hard to perform OLLs and PLLs fast, I can do F2L ok, but I lock a lot at long algs, nerves...

Well, I registered for a 3BLD this year. I guess I have to start doing some serious practice now. I allready sacrificed some cube like this:
BLDCube.jpg
I hope to get the memo down in less time and with less mistakes... ;)

moralsh

WCA
2013MORA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
hah! same orientation and letter scheme as me ;) if you ask me anything I can answer you in terms of letters.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have questions, I like answering BLD questions :)

sneaklyfox

WCA
2013HUNG01
YouTube
Visit Channel

moralsh, what method(s) are you using for 3BLD?

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah, the Aochuang has the typical MoYu feeling. Smooth, no locks etc. I do recommend it.
I have been thinking the same - get into 5x5 with the AoChuang :). Unfortunately, mine is in limbo somewhere, taking much longer than usual to arrive from China.

Been doing 4x4 the last couple of days and got my first sub-1:50 ao12 today - 1:49.57. I'm hoping a few days of 4x4 will improve my 3x3 times :D

sk8erman41

WCA
2015BURK01
Nice job on the comp results Marcel! Everyone seems to be improving quite well in this thread. I decided that I need to have more detailed focus on practice (said this 100x but its true this time lol) got this one today though....

Just got this one...
13.46 B2 U2 B2 R2 F2 D' B2 U' L2 D2 U2 B L2 B2 F2 L' D L2 U' R' L2

x2
R U B' L F' D'
U2 R U' R' U' L' U' L'
R U' R'
y R U' R'
y R U R' U2 R U R'
U F R U R' U' F'
U R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R2 U' R'

"full step" but DAT F2L! LOL

Last edited:

Rocky0701

WCA
2014MCEV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have been thinking the same - get into 5x5 with the AoChuang :). Unfortunately, mine is in limbo somewhere, taking much longer than usual to arrive from China.

Been doing 4x4 the last couple of days and got my first sub-1:50 ao12 today - 1:49.57. I'm hoping a few days of 4x4 will improve my 3x3 times :D
You should do my 4x4 race thread :)

MarcelP

WCA
2012POOT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Nice progress! I can not seem to improve on 4X4. I do not know why. I quess it is just not enough practice..

Just got this one...
13.46 B2 U2 B2 R2 F2 D' B2 U' L2 D2 U2 B L2 B2 F2 L' D L2 U' R' L2

x2
R U B' L F' D'
U2 R U' R' U' L' U' L'
R U' R'
y R U' R'
y R U R' U2 R U R'
U F R U R' U' F'
U R U R' F' R U R' U' R' F R2 U' R'

"full step" but DAT F2L! LOL
Nice job! Keep it up ;)

I should too :)

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Nice progress! I can not seem to improve on 4X4. I do not know why. I quess it is just not enough practice..

Well, I really enjoy 4x4, perhaps even more than 3x3 as it's less simple but still not big enough to be tedious like 5x5. But I have logged only 80 timed 4x4 solves this year, 40 of them this week. I just don't care as much about my times on 4x4.

My idea right now is based on two observations. You know how as you get better at things, they feel easier? These days when I don't even try to solve 3x3 fast, I'll take 26-27 seconds or so. A few months ago, that felt like lightning. In a few months time, solving in 20 seconds will just feel slow and easy.

Secondly, whenever I solve 4x4 or bigger for a while, then go back to 3x3, it feels simpler and easier. Solving bigger cubes is a great way of pushing limits. It requires better control and accuracy and there's more to watch and think about. Doing 3x3 practice doesn't seem to push limits so much, as I'm just doing the same stuff over and over.

So my plan is to focus on 4x4 training for a couple of weeks, interspersed with a few untimed 3x3 solves. When those untimed solves start to feel like they are trivially simple and flowing effortlessly, I'll try timing 3x3 again and see if it made a difference :)

Last edited:

Logiqx

WCA
2015GEOR02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Around May this year I started timing myself at 4x4x4 and I typically did one or two sessions per week. I only did twelve solves during each session and I only did timed solves due to limited time for practice. After 12 sessions my Ao12 went from 2:59 to 2:01 then I got out of the habit and haven't done 4x4x4 for 6 weeks.

The talk about 5x5x5 and 4x4x4 has made me try another Ao12 this morning and I was shocked at my times! My average was 02:20 due to very long pauses but my recognition was slowly returning and the last 2 solves were both under two minutes.

I need to start doing 4x4x4 again to get my average under two minutes and then push towards 4 times my 3x3x3 times. This seems to be what the top 4x4x4 solvers can achieve.

Who's up for the 4x4x4 race thread? Marcel? Mark? :)

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I did some analysis relating to relative times for a variety of events earlier this year. Does it help you set personal goals or help you determine what times you should be achieving?

http://www.speedsolving.com/forum/showthread.php?47405-Relative-Solve-Times-for-2x2x2-7x7x7
Great thread, I replied on it.

I need to start doing 4x4x4 again to get my average under two minutes and then push towards 4 times my 3x3x3 times. This seems to be what the top 4x4x4 solvers can achieve.

Who's up for the 4x4x4 race thread? Marcel? Mark? :)
I'm terrible at keeping up with race threads these days but I will if I remember.

I think 4x is the factor for those who focus on bigger cubes at the expense of 3x3. For a "typical" ratio for those who care equally about 3x3 and 4x4, I'd aim for middle of the graph, or 5x. My target is therefore sub-1:40.

Logiqx

WCA
2015GEOR02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Great thread, I replied on it.

Glad you liked it.

I think 4x is the factor for those who focus on bigger cubes at the expense of 3x3. For a "typical" ratio for those who care equally about 3x3 and 4x4, I'd aim for middle of the graph, or 5x. My target is therefore sub-1:40.

I think 5x is my immediate target as well. Sounds like you are well on your way!

Logiqx

WCA
2015GEOR02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Once "5x" is achieved (seems realistic with adequate practice), I think "4.5x" would feel within reach - ie. sub-20 + sub-1:30.

Sub-1:30 sounds decent and happens to be the cut-off time for UK competitions.

However, 3x3x3 times improving with time mean the 4x4x4 target is constantly moving as well. :)

MarcelP

WCA
2012POOT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I do M2/OP with some easy corner comms when they appear, for memo I do letter pairs for corners and audio edges and I execute edges first. I really like the event, gotta practice more :)
Can you explain 'audio'?
moralsh, what method(s) are you using for 3BLD?

Melody, Do you know this trick: when two edges are flipped set them up to UF and UB and do (M' U')4 (U' M')4