• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
The full solves, surprisingly, don't have big pauses for those relatively slow times so, I guess the main issues are (but I may be wrong):
- Slow cross. Try to plan it completely in the inspection time and do it down (or left if that suits you better but try not to rotate the cube while doing the cross).
- Inefficient F2L, probably some insertions can be reduced in move count. Just take some practise time where you do slow solves trying to think of best ways of inserting pairs and then try to apply that to solves. Also less rotations and more back-slot insertions can help you improve your times.
Other than that I would just recommend to practise and practise, trying to get faster (faster turning or TPS) without going too fast in F2L that you cannot properly look ahead and you will reduce your times soon.

Perhaps other more experienced cubers can help you more.

Last edited:

sneaklyfox

WCA
2013HUNG01
YouTube
Visit Channel

I didn't bother to watch more than one solve. Use inspection time and plan better crosses. After this, learn to track corner to have smoother cross to F2L transition. Avoid y2 in general and avoid rotations to look for pairs. Turn faster. Need better LL recognition, but this will naturally come with time.

Bryan Chia

YouTube
Visit Channel
The full solves, surprisingly, don't have big pauses for those relatively slow times so, I guess the main issues are (but I may be wrong):
- Slow cross. Try to plan it completely in the inspection time and do it down (or left if that suits you better but try not to rotate the cube while doing the cross).
- Inefficient F2L, probably some insertions can be reduced in move count. Just take some practise time where you do slow solves trying to think of best ways of inserting pairs and then try to apply that to solves. Also less rotations and more back-slot insertions can help you improve your times.
Other than that I would just recommend to practise and practise, trying to get faster (faster turning or TPS) without going too fast in F2L that you cannot properly look ahead and you will reduce your times soon.

Perhaps other more experienced cubers can help you more.

I didn't bother to watch more than one solve. Use inspection time and plan better crosses. After this, learn to track corner to have smoother cross to F2L transition. Avoid y2 in general and avoid rotations to look for pairs. Turn faster. Need better LL recognition, but this will naturally come with time.

thanks for the tips :)
its bad isn't it .. i do realise i have to start doing the cross on bottom, but when i try doing it everytime, it felt extremely awkward to my hand to do it, like turning the bad edge to good edge
as for F2L, which is my biggest problem, i insert most of the pairs in the right bottom corner, only on some cases ill insert it on the right back corner

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
thanks for the tips :)
its bad isn't it .. i do realise i have to start doing the cross on bottom, but when i try doing it everytime, it felt extremely awkward to my hand to do it, like turning the bad edge to good edge
as for F2L, which is my biggest problem, i insert most of the pairs in the right bottom corner, only on some cases ill insert it on the right back corner

with a bit of practise you should be able to do some insertions on front-left and back-left as well. Include that in your slow-F2L practice that I recommended and you'll see improvements. I cannot do it very well myself yet, but there are some cases I can manage fairly well. The one I cannot really do is the "corner already in" case, at least without taking the corner out first, that case I can only perform on front-right slot.

Bryan Chia

YouTube
Visit Channel
with a bit of practise you should be able to do some insertions on front-left and back-left as well. Include that in your slow-F2L practice that I recommended and you'll see improvements. I cannot do it very well myself yet, but there are some cases I can manage fairly well. The one I cannot really do is the "corner already in" case, at least without taking the corner out first, that case I can only perform on front-right slot.

i try to avoid F F' and L L' moves as much as possible because its very awkward to do it

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
i try to avoid F F' and L L' moves as much as possible because its very awkward to do it

Then you should also practice L/L' and your left hand will gain dexterity. There are just times when it is much more convenient to insert with your left, like in this case (F' U' F (y) to set up). I find it very easy to insert with L' U L. What would you do to avoid either L or F moves? Only thing I can think of it (y2) R' U R, inserting in the back-right slot but the y2 will take some time.

Bryan Chia

YouTube
Visit Channel
Then you should also practice L/L' and your left hand will gain dexterity. There are just times when it is much more convenient to insert with your left, like in this case (F' U' F (y) to set up). I find it very easy to insert with L' U L. What would you do to avoid either L or F moves? Only thing I can think of it (y2) R' U R, inserting in the back-right slot but the y2 will take some time.

well i will try and look for algs that has R moves only, haha, but yes, ill still try and learn L moves
and these are the algs that I use > http://goo.gl/gcJaFK

xDaze

Rubik's cube
29-set-2014 18.21.28 - 18.29.23

Mean: 22.64
Average: 22.35
Best time: 19.65
Median: 21.31
Worst time: 28.53
Standard deviation: 2.75

Best average of 5: 21.05
8-12 - 20.91 (24.67) 20.00 22.24 (19.65)

Best average of 12: 22.35
1-12 - 27.39 21.08 21.12 (28.53) 23.70 21.49 20.90 20.91 24.67 20.00 22.24 (19.65)

1. 27.39 R2 D' R2 F2 R2 D' R2 L2 U' F2 D F U F L' U' R D' L2 F' R U'
2. 21.08 F2 D L2 F2 U R2 F2 R2 D' R2 U F U L B' D' F' D2 R' U L' D'
3. 21.12 R2 U' L2 U R2 U' L2 U2 R2 B2 U R' D' L' B' R D2 B' D F D2 U'
4. 28.53 L2 B2 U L2 U F2 D2 F2 L2 U' R D' F' R' F D' B U2 F R U'
5. 23.70 D' F2 U2 R2 L2 F2 L2 U F2 U L2 F R2 D U R D2 U2 F U L'
6. 21.49 R2 B2 D' L2 U L2 U' R2 D F2 U2 B R D2 B F U B R2 F2 D2 U2
7. 20.90 R2 B2 L2 D' L2 D' U2 R2 B2 D U L' U R' L2 D U2 B' R' B2 F U'
8. 20.91 F2 L2 U2 F2 D R2 B2 U B2 U' L2 B' U' B' R' B' L' B2 L B2 L2 U
9. 24.67 L2 D2 B2 R2 D' B2 U' B2 F2 R2 D' B' R L2 D U' R' B L2 F' R U'
10. 20.00 U' B2 F2 D' F2 D' R2 D' R2 D2 B2 R B' F L U' F' U' R' F L
11. 22.24 U' R2 B2 F2 U2 L2 U B2 R2 U' L2 F U' B2 R2 L' B2 D' F' U' R' D2
12. 19.65 L2 B2 R2 U' F2 D2 U B2 D' U2 R2 B L B D' R2 U B R2 L B2

[video=youtube_share;YayUKWYZO4g]http://youtu.be/YayUKWYZO4g[/video]

What can i improve? 15/21 PLL for now

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
well i will try and look for algs that has R moves only, haha, but yes, ill still try and learn L moves
and these are the algs that I use > http://goo.gl/gcJaFK

The URL gives some error and I cannot access, but, you mean F2L algs? I do F2L completely intuitively. I know an alg or two for some special cases but I don't think I use them much in real solves, I'd say less than 1% of the time. That doesn't mean that most insertion "strategies" don't transform into algs once you store them in muscular memory and execute them almost without thinking but that's different than explicitly memorizing the F2L cases from scratch. Also the advantage of intuitive is that it becomes much easier to rotate / reflect the cases to insert in different slots than front-right.