• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

I just don't seem to improve!

rand

I have done a search and the results I found are not to my problem

I have been speedcubing since January( 3 months now) and as of the day before yesterday, my best time on a Rubiks brand storebought (with Haiyan memory mod ) is 25 seconds. My best average(10 solves) was 37.5 seconds.

But since yesterday,(that is 2 days),my average has fallen down to 41 seconds. And I don't seem to improve cuz I got quite a few 50 sec solves as well.

I do cross on top (till yesterday and then changed to bottom, pre plan it in 20-25 sec inspection time i use -started yesterday) and i got quite a few sub 30 solves. It takes me 4-7 sec,sometimes 2 or 10 sec also for the cross

F2l is normal and I just started lookahead(a week ago).It takes about 15- 20 secs sometimes 25-30

OLL- 2 look and it takes 3-6 sec(i know T-oll and some simple algs too-maybe 7-8)

PLL- 2 look and i takes 3-6 sec(i know everything except G and 2 more- i know 15)

I have ordered a Zhanchi and guhong v2 but do not intend to use it till a 30-33 sec avg.......

Any suggestions?

retep

I also feel I should mention, it isn't entirely uncommon to have your averages actually get worse at times. Like you mentioned you just started doing cross on bottom, these kinds of changes take a bit of getting used to and often cause your times to get worse temporarily before they get better. Sometimes I also just have good and bad days where I can average like +/-5 seconds from my "typical" average of about 25 seconds. I also concur with cubecraze, improvement slows down the faster you get and by about 30 second averages it can sometimes take over a week before you really notice a slight improvement. But don't get discouraged, we have all been there and have to deal with it.

Rubiksfreak

Just be patient, most of us on here have been doing this for years which doesn't compare to 3 months. I know it's frustrating to see everyone around you averaging 10-15 seconds, but like i said we've been doing this for a long time, most of us know the FULL fridrich method and that does help alot. To be honest Rubiks cube brand aren't as bad as people make them out to be if you've broken it in and it turns with ease. Ive gotten 6 second solves with my rubiks brand storebought cube, which is hard to do because they lock up alot but you can do anything if you just set your mind to it and practice. When you get your times doesn to 12-15 seconds that is when it really takes a long time to improve to better scores. Learn more algs and perhaps some algs for F2L, keep in mind that not all algs are for everyone. Learn the ones that work for your fingers, ive made the mistake of learning a bunch of algs that were slow then had to teach myself new/ faster ones.

jonlin

WCA
2012LINJ01
YouTube
Visit Channel
No duh. It's the cuber, not the cube.
Although the cube helps a bit.
I used to have a godly Rubik's brand until I got a guhong.

Then I made a siamese cube out of it.

jeff081692

WCA
2012JAME03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Full OLL and PLL would make you improve so you could always just do that. Learn one new algorithm a day until you have learned all the OLL and PLL and by then your last layer should be pretty decent and the time it takes learning one algorithm a day would give you more experience with getting use to things such as the cross and F2L.
But to be honest there are plenty of ways to go about improving and this is just one of many. The most important thing in whatever you do is to practice though.

retep

Also while I do agree the cuber plays a much greater role than the cube, the cube can still have a pretty big impact. For example, when I switched from my rubik's brand and got my guhong V2 my time instantly dropped from about 50 second average to 35 second average. Up till that happened I thought my cube was good lol, but I didn't have much to compare to...

Last edited by a moderator:

MirzaCubing

WCA
2011MIRZ01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Here are a few suggestions:
>Give yourself a break; don't cube for a day, it helps a lot sometimes, your mind and fingers have time too rest
>Learn finger tricks if you havent already. Finger tricks make turning smoother, faster, and more relaxing
>Use a speedcube that works for you. If the the guhong V2 or Zhanchi don't work for you right now, just use your rubik's brand or other speedcube
>Also keep in mind it is nearly impossible and unheard of too break your PB everyday, or get faster everyday. It takes time. I'm sure when the world champions started cubing they werent world champions, so you shouldn't hesitate to get better every minute. Once you've hit the sub-40 mark, it takes a lot more time to get faster, believe me, we've all been there.

A Leman

I have done a search and the results I found are not to my problem

I have been speedcubing since January( 3 months now) and as of the day before yesterday, my best time on a Rubiks brand storebought (with Haiyan memory mod ) is 25 seconds. My best average(10 solves) was 37.5 seconds.

But since yesterday,(that is 2 days),my average has fallen down to 41 seconds. And I don't seem to improve cuz I got quite a few 50 sec solves as well.

I do cross on top (till yesterday and then changed to bottom, pre plan it in 20-25 sec inspection time i use -started yesterday) and i got quite a few sub 30 solves. It takes me 4-7 sec,sometimes 2 or 10 sec also for the cross

F2l is normal and I just started lookahead(a week ago).It takes about 15- 20 secs sometimes 25-30

OLL- 2 look and it takes 3-6 sec(i know T-oll and some simple algs too-maybe 7-8)

PLL- 2 look and i takes 3-6 sec(i know everything except G and 2 more- i know 15)

I have ordered a Zhanchi and guhong v2 but do not intend to use it till a 30-33 sec avg.......

Any suggestions?

Don't worry about averages for awhile. Before you are comfortable with a smooth f2l and know your oll and pll, your averages will be all over the place because a bunch of cases have the potential to make you pause. look at algorithms for f2l, they will help you get ideas about how effiecent f2l should be. Also, use a good cube. The worst possible pauses are lockups and pops and a good cube can solve both.

MWilson

yes but it did not break apart during the building process

Sure it did. Intentionally, in fact. Unless you think every building in Rome was there since the beginning. At some point, ugly, unsafe, or just unnecessary buildings were torn down. A better foundation was constructed, and a better building is built on top of it.

With the changes you say you're going through in your cubing over the last few days, you will need to "tear down" your old way of thinking, "construct" a new way of thinking that is more in-line with what you have recently learned, and then be patient through the "building" process. Once it's done, you can stand back and feel good about your fancy new building/ability.

Of course, as soon as you turn around you'll see another building that was constructed with too must haste and turned out poorly. It will be ugly and falling apart. You will recognize it as something you once thought was decent, but next to your most recent accomplishments it stands out as inferior. Then you will tear it down, construct a better one, and continue to build a better Rome.

Such is the pursuit of any skill.

Ickathu

WCA
2011MERT03
YouTube
Visit Channel
yes but it did not break apart during the building process

Well... Yeah... According to the legend, Romulus and Remus were building it together, until Romulus or one of his men killed Remus. That kinda threw everything into disorder and catastrophe, which probably led to pauses and some rebuilding, don't ya think?

OT: This will sound lame...
Practice.

Seriously though, practice your finger tricks and try doing cross blindfolded and each f2l pair blindfolded. This will help with your look ahead a lot.

applemobile

They would have finished building it quicker, but Remus spent all his time posting on forum forums trying to find an easy shortcut.