Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I just don't seem to improve!

Also while I do agree the cuber plays a much greater role than the cube, the cube can still have a pretty big impact. For example, when I switched from my rubik's brand and got my guhong V2 my time instantly dropped from about 50 second average to 35 second average. Up till that happened I thought my cube was good lol, but I didn't have much to compare to...
    Last edited by Brest; 04-15-2012 at 11:59 AM. Reason: removed reply to deleted post
    PBs Cubing since: Jan 15, 2012. Also enjoy Starcraft II and Chess.

WCA Profile
    2011MIRZ01
    YouTube
    MirzaCubing

Here are a few suggestions:
    >Give yourself a break; don't cube for a day, it helps a lot sometimes, your mind and fingers have time too rest
    >Learn finger tricks if you havent already. Finger tricks make turning smoother, faster, and more relaxing
    >Use a speedcube that works for you. If the the guhong V2 or Zhanchi don't work for you right now, just use your rubik's brand or other speedcube
    >Also keep in mind it is nearly impossible and unheard of too break your PB everyday, or get faster everyday. It takes time. I'm sure when the world champions started cubing they werent world champions, so you shouldn't hesitate to get better every minute. Once you've hit the sub-40 mark, it takes a lot more time to get faster, believe me, we've all been there.

Quote Originally Posted by rand View Post
    I have done a search and the results I found are not to my problem

I have been speedcubing since January( 3 months now) and as of the day before yesterday, my best time on a Rubiks brand storebought (with Haiyan memory mod ) is 25 seconds. My best average(10 solves) was 37.5 seconds.

But since yesterday,(that is 2 days),my average has fallen down to 41 seconds. And I don't seem to improve cuz I got quite a few 50 sec solves as well.

I do cross on top (till yesterday and then changed to bottom, pre plan it in 20-25 sec inspection time i use -started yesterday) and i got quite a few sub 30 solves. It takes me 4-7 sec,sometimes 2 or 10 sec also for the cross

F2l is normal and I just started lookahead(a week ago).It takes about 15- 20 secs sometimes 25-30

OLL- 2 look and it takes 3-6 sec(i know T-oll and some simple algs too-maybe 7-8)

PLL- 2 look and i takes 3-6 sec(i know everything except G and 2 more- i know 15)

I have ordered a Zhanchi and guhong v2 but do not intend to use it till a 30-33 sec avg.......

Any suggestions?
    Don't worry about averages for awhile. Before you are comfortable with a smooth f2l and know your oll and pll, your averages will be all over the place because a bunch of cases have the potential to make you pause. look at algorithms for f2l, they will help you get ideas about how effiecent f2l should be. Also, use a good cube. The worst possible pauses are lockups and pops and a good cube can solve both.
    "A good solve is a work of art that people can look at and be affected in as many ways they're capable of understanding."

yes but it did not break apart during the building process
    Sure it did. Intentionally, in fact. Unless you think every building in Rome was there since the beginning. At some point, ugly, unsafe, or just unnecessary buildings were torn down. A better foundation was constructed, and a better building is built on top of it.

With the changes you say you're going through in your cubing over the last few days, you will need to "tear down" your old way of thinking, "construct" a new way of thinking that is more in-line with what you have recently learned, and then be patient through the "building" process. Once it's done, you can stand back and feel good about your fancy new building/ability.

Of course, as soon as you turn around you'll see another building that was constructed with too must haste and turned out poorly. It will be ugly and falling apart. You will recognize it as something you once thought was decent, but next to your most recent accomplishments it stands out as inferior. Then you will tear it down, construct a better one, and continue to build a better Rome.

Such is the pursuit of any skill.

WCA Profile
    2011MERT03
    YouTube
    Ickathu

yes but it did not break apart during the building process
    Well... Yeah... According to the legend, Romulus and Remus were building it together, until Romulus or one of his men killed Remus. That kinda threw everything into disorder and catastrophe, which probably led to pauses and some rebuilding, don't ya think?

OT: This will sound lame...
    Practice.

Seriously though, practice your finger tricks and try doing cross blindfolded and each f2l pair blindfolded. This will help with your look ahead a lot.
    Choose your method.
    "If you get on a see-saw, be prepared to go up and down." ~Alex Mertz

WCA Profile
    2012ARTH01
    YouTube
    NoahCubes

I would say that if you're getting frustrated, try learning something new like OH or BLD.
    I learned BLD once, but I only really use it as a party trick.
    BLD TUTORIALS +3-Style! PBs:19.18/25.04 mo3/25.78 avg5/29.04 avg12/27.36 Official/4BLD NR/Official MBLD

They would have finished building it quicker, but Remus spent all his time posting on forum forums trying to find an easy shortcut.

Quote Originally Posted by Noahaha View Post
    I would say that if you're getting frustrated, try learning something new like OH or BLD.
    I have a storebought OH hurts