• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

New cube simulation software - testers needed

TheFex

CubeKing - New cube simulation software - testers needed

Hi everybody,

I'm looking for experienced cubers to help me test out my new cube simulation software: CubeKing. I'm creating the software for my own educational purposed but I would like to release it to the community.

CubeKing allows me to generate different sorts of cubes, scramble and solve them.

http://cubeking.dyndns.info/

Check out the Youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAIswVza9zg

If you are a cube lover and know a few algorithms, please test out my software and let me know what you think. CubeKing requires the latest version of Silverlight 5 and will run in your browser on Windows.

Screen_1.png

Screen_2.png

Screen_3.png

Screen_4.png

Screen_5.png

Screen_6.png

All sorts of feedback is welcome, thanks in advance for your contribution!

- TheFex
http://cubeking.dyndns.info/

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15503

I want to test :) i can solve pretty much any size cube :)

O

Owen

Looks awesome. I've always wanted an alternative to jflysim's horrid cuboid simulation.

TheFex

Thanks for the responses everybody, I've included the link at the top of the thread!!

I'll test it. Does the program let cuboids shapeshift?

Unfortunately no. I've worked on this behavior for a while but I'm having bandaging problems.
Good question though .. perhaps sometime in the future. :)

Bah, Windows. You thwart me once again.

CubeKing is currently made with Microsoft XNA Game Studio 4.0 and Silverlight 5.
What platform would you like to see included?

Last edited by a moderator:

MaeLSTRoM

WCA
2011WALL02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ooh silverlight, I approve.
IIRC:
Silverlight is supported on windows, mac and linux, so it should work (the linux port is called moonlight and is part of mono)

emolover

WCA
2009MAHO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have done a few 2x2 and 3x3 solves and this seems like a cool program.

Things I would suggest adding would be a timer and a move counter, have it recognize double turns, and try to see if you can implement a keyboard turning system which you can customize yourself.

I would also suggest adding other shaped puzzles even though this might be hard to do. If you do want to try doing this, do pyraminx first.

TheFex

As far as I know the 3D capabilities in Silverlight 5 (powered by XNA) only runs on Windows. Also, I don't think Silverlight 5 has been ported to Mono yet. I've understood that XNA doesn't run on OSX in Silverlight 5.
I wouldn't mind you proving me wrong though, anyone?

aaronb

I would like a customizable keyboard control system. That is the big thing. Other than that, maybe some small things like a timer that works to the hundredths? I love the program though. I will keep updating with any changes I would like to see. :)

Edit: Another thing is the notation. On 3x3x3, I think using M, E, and S, would be better than "1R2, 1L, 1B' " type moves. Also, instead of 2F, 2F', and 2F2 on 3x3 scramble notation, you should use B, B', and B2 respectively. Same with how you use 2U, 2U', and 2U2 instead of D, D', and D2. On the moves you have done to the cube, it is fine, but the scramble notation is kind of weird. Wide turns would also be nice to add.

Again, great job on the program, I am loving it.

Edit2: An undo button would be nice.

Last edited:

TheFex

Alliright, I've made a few minor changes and implemented a first way to control the cube using the keyboard.
What do you guys think? How would you suggest inner slices and wide turns (should I name them like that?)?

Thanks everybody, keep the comments coming!

I like it, but it's pretty hard with the mouse, especially R moves

I've added some keyboard controls, but you should definitely try using a touch screen if you have one!

Last edited by a moderator:

aaronb

I am liking the updates, but I do have 2 things I would like to see changed. 1: Maybe keyboard controls for the back, left, and down faces as well?

2: A few things are in the way.
2d91yma.png
I circled the cube to the left, because it blocks some of the settings; and I made a yellow arrow/circle of where I think it should go. I also circled the CubeKing logo, because it blocks the "Start Timer" and "Undo Previous Move" buttons; I made an arrow/circle of where I think it should go.

Besides those 2 things, I see no other flaws. It is an awesome program.

soup

YouTube
Visit Channel
It looks very nice so far. As for suggestions, maybe allow the cube to be dragged to any position? (e.g. drags other than 90º turns.). I'm sure it'd make things easier to work with.
But, overall, it looks awesome. Keep up the good work, man.

There's my $0.02.

Last edited:

TheFex

I am liking the updates, but I do have 2 things I would like to see changed. 1: Maybe keyboard controls for the back, left, and down faces as well?

2: A few things are in the way.
2d91yma.png
I circled the cube to the left, because it blocks some of the settings; and I made a yellow arrow/circle of where I think it should go. I also circled the CubeKing logo, because it blocks the "Start Timer" and "Undo Previous Move" buttons; I made an arrow/circle of where I think it should go.

Besides those 2 things, I see no other flaws. It is an awesome program.

Thanks for that, I use a slightly higher resolution. I noticed that some of the settings aren't visible to you. You can change your browser zoom level to adjust. (CTRL + mousescroll). Also I made the changes you suggested. Thanks!

TheFex

It looks very nice so far. As for suggestions, maybe allow the cube to be dragged to any position? (e.g. drags other than 90º turns.). I'm sure it'd make things easier to work with.
But, overall, it looks awesome. Keep up the good work, man.

There's my $0.02.
All manipulations are fixed to the perspective for now. Unfortunately what you ask for has proven to be quite hard to fine-tune. I'll work on it though, thanks!

Last edited: