Thread: Odd Question for a novice to cubing

Default Odd Question for a novice to cubing

I'm just going to get this out of the way. I don't cube, I've never done this sort of thing before. The fact is, I'm trying to find a solution to a problem involving a "megaminx", and I googled it, finding you guys. Here goes.

I play a text-based MUD, somewhat popular but not greatly populated. One of the older players has coded in a visual representation of a megaminx (I only found out what this was by asking around) in text. Each of the twelve sides seems to be in colour (red, cyan, blue, green, that sort of thing). I can view the top and bottom to see what sections are connected to what, and I can view each particular side's colour as well as a somewhat clear depiction of what side is what colour. I can turn the sides in one direction, and switch to view each side as needed.

What would I have to do or provide in order to have someone assist me in solving this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

WCA Profile
    2006BARL01
    YouTube
    snkenjoi

Someone would pretty much have to do it for you, which would probably suck since the control scheme looks horrible.

YouTube
    Godmil

Oh wow, that looks harder than I'd ever like to do.
    The thing with the Megaminx is, while it's not technically a 'complicated' puzzle to solve, it does take a lot of time/moves. Only looking at one side at a time steps up the complexity greatly I'm afraid, I know how to do a mexaminx, but it would probably take me hours on something like that... and you really don't want to mess up on the last layer then have to go back several stages.. that would be a nightmare.
    3X3 Warp 2: (Snl/5/12) 15.26, 18.77, 20.78.

Would be made easier I you could transfer the scramble onto a virtual megaminx, or even a real one if you could, Solve it on there and transfer each move a cross that you do. Easier than trying to solve it on there.

Quote Originally Posted by Godmil View Post
    Oh wow, that looks harder than I'd ever like to do.
    The thing with the Megaminx is, while it's not technically a 'complicated' puzzle to solve, it does take a lot of time/moves. Only looking at one side at a time steps up the complexity greatly I'm afraid, I know how to do a mexaminx, but it would probably take me hours on something like that... and you really don't want to mess up on the last layer then have to go back several stages.. that would be a nightmare.
    sounds about right

As for "looking at only one side at a time", you can look at any side you wish, and switch between them freely. I'm not sure if that's what you meant.

WCA Profile
    2006GOTT01
    YouTube
    qqwref2

Yeah, only being able to look at one side at a time makes it a lot more mentally difficult to solve. (I guess it would be kind of like trying to proofread an essay while only being able to see one word at a time.) The control scheme doesn't sound particularly easy either. I can easily imagine this taking a long time and a ton of moves.
    Computer cube PB averages of 12: [Clock: 5.72] [Pyraminx: 3.33] [Megaminx: 49.52]
    [2x2: 2.66] [3x3: 8.45] [4x4: 29.06] [5x5: 52.69] [6x6: 1:34.78] [7x7: 2:20.34]

WCA Profile
    2008PENT01
    YouTube
    carsonpenticuff

I'm really curious who coded it.

YouTube
    Theunsungone

megaminx takes around 15 minutes for a novice who actually knows how to solve it. With that control scheme it could take all day long. If you want to solve it on your own you would prolly need to learn the 3x3 first.
    Last edited by Vipervenom9; 04-10-2012 at 08:24 AM.
    PB(1, 5, 12, 100) 3x3 - CFOP 18.79, 28.25, 28.50, 31.82 Youtube