Thread: [Konsta Mod] ShengShou 4x4 solution to internal lock-ups

WCA Profile
    2008JUKK01
    YouTube
    Talvikoala

Quote Originally Posted by sa11297 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY9Xf...3fFUAAAAAAALAA
    not my video, but there you go toruu

I am getting a new SS 4x4 v3 soon, and there are quite a few mods. I do not want to regret doing any, and I want to do them all at one time. Can someone tell me which mods I should do with these. Also, If I do many mods, will the cube begin to pop?
    I don't think there are mods that take away anti-popping mechanisms or anything useful (without replacing it with similar mechanism). If the cube pops, it pops because it is loose and you force corner cut or something similar.
    Mods are made to reduce or even remove lockups that might also cause pops. So doing a mod properly should never cause cube to pop more than it pops already, if at all.
    Also finding the right tension and lubing the cube is as important after the mod as it was before any mods, these things never change.
    If you like to keep very loose tension, you probably experience more popping and even lock-ups with bigger cubes if you don't have very good/smooth handling over your cube.
    With bigger cubes I personally need to set the tension so that it basically never pops as my cubing style is awful especially with bigger cubes atm.
    No mod will make one a better cuber, but it can and will make the cube better if it's done correctly.
    So make a mod if you trust your modding skills enough

YouTube
    rThorWenzel

I modded my SS today and I have to say you do notice an improvement, however it doesn't completely solve lock-ups. The outer layers still lock up a bit, and sometimes it is enough to screw up the solve. Should I do the mod Florian proposes? I finished doing it to my SS 5 a few days ago and it improved very much (still, it isn't perfect).
    I used a Dremell to round up the pieces, took about an hour.
    [1/5/12/100] 3x3 | 6.55 / 9.93 / 10.87 / 11.90 It's been like a year since I stopped cubing seriously. Now I'm trying to get back on my feet.

WCA Profile
    2008JUKK01
    YouTube
    Talvikoala

Quote Originally Posted by RTh View Post
    I modded my SS today and I have to say you do notice an improvement, however it doesn't completely solve lock-ups. The outer layers still lock up a bit, and sometimes it is enough to screw up the solve. Should I do the mod Florian proposes? I finished doing it to my SS 5 a few days ago and it improved very much (still, it isn't perfect).
    I used a Dremell to round up the pieces, took about an hour.
    Yes, absolutely. I kinda assumed that people had modded with Florian's mod already. Internal mod is for internal parts only.
    I also modded my new SS 5x5 and 6x6. With 5x5 I modded also 1 center piece more that wasn't in that mod, I'm kinda studying both of them atm.
    Last edited by Konsta; 04-11-2012 at 03:38 PM.

WCA Profile
    2012ARTH01
    YouTube
    NoahCubes

How necessary is a dremel? Would I be able to do it with a knife and sand paper?
    Last edited by Noahaha; 04-11-2012 at 05:58 PM.
    I learned BLD once, but I only really use it as a party trick.
    BLD TUTORIALS +3-Style! PBs:19.18/25.04 mo3/25.78 avg5/29.04 avg12/27.36 Official/4BLD NR/Official MBLD

WCA Profile
    2008JUKK01
    YouTube
    Talvikoala

Quote Originally Posted by Noahaha View Post
    How necessary is a dremel? Would I be able to do it with a knife and sand paper?
    Yes, it just takes more time. I wouldn't bother doing it with those, but then again.. I have a dremel
    When I tested some spots in this mod I always started with a knife, I used dremel only after I knew how much plastic I should take off.

YouTube
    wytefury

Quote Originally Posted by Konsta View Post
    I also modded my new SS 5x5 and 6x6. With 5x5 I modded also 1 center piece more that wasn't in that mod, I'm kinda studying both of them atm.
    How are the results? Any big differences?

WCA Profile
    2008JUKK01
    YouTube
    Talvikoala

Quote Originally Posted by wytefury View Post
    How are the results? Any big differences?
    I assume you're talking about the 5x5?
    Well it helped for the particular lockup I experienced a lot. I rounded the edge-centers outer edges (all the way internally), because the wing edge piece took too much contact to it while turning when it was just a tiny bit misaligned. I might mod some other spots later on if I feel like it. Still need to do more solves to get more info out of this cube

WCA Profile
    2012ARTH01
    YouTube
    NoahCubes

Took me about an hour with a metal file. I still catch a little bit on M-slices occasionally, so I may not have gotten each piece perfect, but other than that it's spectacular. Thanks Konsta!

EDIT: First solve was a PB by 1 second despite OLL and PLL parity.
    Last edited by Noahaha; 04-15-2012 at 05:12 PM.
    I learned BLD once, but I only really use it as a party trick.
    BLD TUTORIALS +3-Style! PBs:19.18/25.04 mo3/25.78 avg5/29.04 avg12/27.36 Official/4BLD NR/Official MBLD

WCA Profile
    2011KULC01
    YouTube
    EricKulchycki

Did you guys fully assemble when you did this? I always have trouble putting it back together XD
    I live in Canada, I literally have to warm up before I cube :)

WCA Profile
    2012MCNE01
    YouTube
    ottozing

Quote Originally Posted by Cheese11 View Post
    Did you guys fully assemble when you did this? I always have trouble putting it back together XD
    its not that hard to assemble.
    | PB 1/5/12/50/100 | 2x2 0.34/1.10/1.41/1.63/1.72 | 3x3 5.81/7.66/8.19/8.94/9.14 | 4x4 29.896/34.002/36.019/37.446/38.339
    I haz moar sub 2 2x2 averages than anyone else in the world <3