• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Konsta Mod] ShengShou 4x4 solution to internal lock-ups

Konsta

WCA
2008JUKK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey.

Trying to restart my cubing again and got couple new cubes, shengshou 4x4 v3 was one of them :)

I made the normal edge and center mods to my cube, but had similar internal lock-up problems as many seem to have. Didn't find any solution for it from this site or youtube, so I decided to figure it out myself.

Modded all internal parts like in the pictures:

So it's all the "first-contact" parts between bigger and smaller internal parts that I rounded up.
Bigger part has 8 spots modded and smaller one has 4 spots modded.

After that I basically have no lock-ups anymore with this cube.
I hope this helps.

Last edited:

Konsta

WCA
2008JUKK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ok, gotta try this! if it works im telling the russki's about it.!

Cool, Russians are usually very effective in these kinds of things, you people will probably find improvements to this mod I'm sure :D

When I just finished Florian's mod on my ss4x4 and finished assembling it...
Typical... :fp

Haha, don't worry. I've taken this cube apart and assembled it so many times I lost count :)
Test out the Florian's mod before trying this to see how much it makes difference.

Last edited:

justkidin123

While we're on the topic of the SS 4x4 tell me. does anyone think it would pop more if you sanded down the flares on the bottom of the center piece? oh. and i also did florians mod on my SS 4x4 and at first it popped a lot. but it sort of broke itself in afterwards. i had to tighten it, but it was definitely worth it in the end.

Konsta

WCA
2008JUKK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I did this mod already. It suck!!!

I'm sorry to hear that. Did you do exactly the same as I did? Because my cube really doesn't lock anymore after I did this..
I first did only the first picture, but only after doing the second part of the mod I really got rid of all the internal lock ups.

Alex97

Banned
Don't exist mod to do SS 4x4 to not lock up. I recommend mini/dayan mf8 for speedcubing ;)

Konsta

WCA
2008JUKK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Don't exist mod to do SS 4x4 to not lock up. I recommend mini/dayan mf8 for speedcubing ;)

Yes, I have that one too, unfortunately the cube I got has very stiff outer layers, so it makes it almost impossible to cube with.
I've tried to mod it as much as possible, but it seems that it's not possible to sand it down enough without destroying the cube.
Too bad, I really like the size and the feel of that cube other than outer layers.
Of course I could buy another one and hope to get better one, but it's pretty expensive cube to play lottery :p

I would really like to see some pictures of your SS internal part mods to see if it differs from what I did.
Because I modded my cube in several phases (3 or 4 days and testing between modding), only doing all the spots you can see in my pictures it stopped locking up internally.

Alex97

Banned
GTFO. RIGHT NOW. But really, the Mini Dayan+MF8 4x4 is just too stiff. There is no mod that can make it better. Plus the plastic is really soft, and the pieces are to big for the cube. Mine broke from turning it.... It sucks.
I like stiff cube!!! Isn't cubes who I can modified to be better!!

Last edited:

Konsta

WCA
2008JUKK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Awesome mod! I was thinking of doing it before but i was worried I'd stuff it up, but when I saw your thread I decided to give it a go.

Thanks! I made the modding decision pretty soon after I got this cube and did known mods to it, because I really couldn't stand the internal lock ups.
Also the low price encouraged me to try this out. And I wouldn't be using locking cube anyway.

At the same time I actually destroyed my MF8 megaminx by modding it too much, and the worst part is that there were actual tutorials how to mod it properly and I was just lazy to check them out :(
Good thing is that I finally modded my mefferts minx and tiled it with MF8 tiles, so I have pretty nice megaminx now. (it was mefferts mod to mf8 what I did to destroy it, don't try that at home)