• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Konsta Mod] ShengShou 4x4 solution to internal lock-ups

Konsta

WCA
2008JUKK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY9XfIIaI5k&feature=g-u-u&context=G2f7643fFUAAAAAAALAA
not my video, but there you go toruu

I am getting a new SS 4x4 v3 soon, and there are quite a few mods. I do not want to regret doing any, and I want to do them all at one time. Can someone tell me which mods I should do with these. Also, If I do many mods, will the cube begin to pop?
I don't think there are mods that take away anti-popping mechanisms or anything useful (without replacing it with similar mechanism). If the cube pops, it pops because it is loose and you force corner cut or something similar.
Mods are made to reduce or even remove lockups that might also cause pops. So doing a mod properly should never cause cube to pop more than it pops already, if at all.
Also finding the right tension and lubing the cube is as important after the mod as it was before any mods, these things never change.
If you like to keep very loose tension, you probably experience more popping and even lock-ups with bigger cubes if you don't have very good/smooth handling over your cube.
With bigger cubes I personally need to set the tension so that it basically never pops as my cubing style is awful especially with bigger cubes atm.
No mod will make one a better cuber, but it can and will make the cube better if it's done correctly.
So make a mod if you trust your modding skills enough :)

RTh

YouTube
Visit Channel
I modded my SS today and I have to say you do notice an improvement, however it doesn't completely solve lock-ups. The outer layers still lock up a bit, and sometimes it is enough to screw up the solve. Should I do the mod Florian proposes? I finished doing it to my SS 5 a few days ago and it improved very much (still, it isn't perfect).
I used a Dremell to round up the pieces, took about an hour.

Konsta

WCA
2008JUKK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I modded my SS today and I have to say you do notice an improvement, however it doesn't completely solve lock-ups. The outer layers still lock up a bit, and sometimes it is enough to screw up the solve. Should I do the mod Florian proposes? I finished doing it to my SS 5 a few days ago and it improved very much (still, it isn't perfect).
I used a Dremell to round up the pieces, took about an hour.

Yes, absolutely. I kinda assumed that people had modded with Florian's mod already. Internal mod is for internal parts only.
I also modded my new SS 5x5 and 6x6. With 5x5 I modded also 1 center piece more that wasn't in that mod, I'm kinda studying both of them atm.

Last edited:

Konsta

WCA
2008JUKK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
How necessary is a dremel? Would I be able to do it with a knife and sand paper?
Yes, it just takes more time. I wouldn't bother doing it with those, but then again.. I have a dremel :p
When I tested some spots in this mod I always started with a knife, I used dremel only after I knew how much plastic I should take off.

Konsta

WCA
2008JUKK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
How are the results? Any big differences?
I assume you're talking about the 5x5?
Well it helped for the particular lockup I experienced a lot. I rounded the edge-centers outer edges (all the way internally), because the wing edge piece took too much contact to it while turning when it was just a tiny bit misaligned. I might mod some other spots later on if I feel like it. Still need to do more solves to get more info out of this cube :)

Noahaha

blindmod
WCA
2012ARTH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Took me about an hour with a metal file. I still catch a little bit on M-slices occasionally, so I may not have gotten each piece perfect, but other than that it's spectacular. Thanks Konsta!

EDIT: First solve was a PB by 1 second despite OLL and PLL parity.

Last edited:

Ralinda4

Hopefully you should be able to assemble the 1st 3 layers with only a little bit of difficulty. After that, I loosen the top side and just do it piece by piece; I slide in the inner edge then slowly insert the smaller part from an angle. This video may help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYydMmZywas&feature=related

In general it's best to take it slow, and it does get easier the more you do it.

scrubofcubes

Does this solve the outer layers locking up as well? I just received the ss 4x4 v3 and the inner layers are great but the outer layers lock up a bunch

Konsta

WCA
2008JUKK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Does this solve the outer layers locking up as well? I just received the ss 4x4 v3 and the inner layers are great but the outer layers lock up a bunch

This is not for inner or outer layers, but for internal parts that cause both inner and outer layer locking. Doing this and Florian's mod you should get a pretty nice 4x4.

Cuberfreak

the reviews are great for this mod so i really want to use this on my SS.
the problem is, i have difficulty understanding what i should do to modify my cube based on some pictures. what i really need is a video of someone actually showing the process of modifying their cube, not what the end result looks like. someone please post a video of you in the process of performing (and explaining) this modification.

Noahaha

blindmod
WCA
2012ARTH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
the reviews are great for this mod so i really want to use this on my SS.
the problem is, i have difficulty understanding what i should do to modify my cube based on some pictures. what i really need is a video of someone actually showing the process of modifying their cube, not what the end result looks like. someone please post a video of you in the process of performing (and explaining) this modification.

I made a little tutorial. It's not a video, but...

Red is where you sand/file/shave/dremel.

Big pieces:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335068129.283383.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335068148.708461.jpg (disregard the bottom left patch of red in this picture)

Small pieces:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335068255.703741.jpg

Last edited:

Konsta

WCA
2008JUKK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Does this mod fix the corners catching onto some parts?

No, that's why Florian's mod is for.

View attachment 2082View attachment 2083

I made a little tutorial. It's not a video, but...

Red is where you sand/file/shave/dremel.

Hopefully these attachments work...

Thanks for trying to help, but your colorings are a bit misguiding.
You could've added red to the first pictures smaller counter-part, as it shows the side picture of how to mod those outer spots.
Then your second picture shows left down corner a wrong spot.

I added 2 weeks ago 4 new pictures of inner spots, there's a knife pointing where to sand and side picture of the sanding angle and how much I took plastic off.
The very first picture is pretty much self-explanatory. You can just compare your non-modded pieces to the picture if you don't see right away what parts are modded.

ThomasJE

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I may try this with some P240 sandpaper. I don't want to take too much off, but the lock-ups are quite annoying when they happen. In my first solve today, I did a 1:15 reduction (quite fast for me), but ended up with a 2:03.50 due to lock-ups and DP :mad: