• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Solution to mf8 + Dayan 4x4 core stripping?

pdilla

I've seen this hinted at in other threads, but I wanted to bring this subject to the forefront.

My Dayan, in particular, has a big problem holding a tension on the 2x2x2 core. But it doesn't simply loosen slowly over time, rather the core screw will suddenly rip out of the core causing the cube to crumble.

I'm planning on replacing the core with a C4U to fix the issue, but I was wondering if anyone else has run into the problem, and if you did, what solution did you find to be the most viable? Also, as an extra question, is there any other underlying cause of the problem (besides a bad core)?

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
What I did was put super glue in the hole and on the screw, and adjust it to the needed tension, and then let it dry. I haven't had it come apart since (but I don't adjust the tension on it anymore).

As for the underlying cause, it is probably due to weak threading on the core (cheap plastic probably).

JianhanC

WCA
2010CHOO02
You might want to check to see if you've screw the screw in not perpendicularly (lol I'm not sure how else to describe it)

pdilla

I've heard of the super glue fix, although, I'm not sure if I'd like the inability to completely disassemble the cube for cleaning.

Yes, the screw is going in correctly, and has a normal amount of "wiggle" to it, nothing unusual.

Although, I find it odd that there is no "stopping point" for the screws. When you reach it's maximum tension, the screw keeps turning in place, instead of becoming taut. Could this also be from the core?

Kurbitur

Dont use superglue, use screw glue or what ever it is called. You can get it in three different strenghts and i think you will be able to loose the screw and adjust later on

AvidCuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
I used to use the super-glue trick on my old 3x3x3s when they actually stripped, and I was still able to disassemble them fine. It might be a little bit more difficult, but as long as you don't just put a huge dollop of glue on there, it should be fine. Anyway, your core's stripping sounds pretty bad, so maybe more glue is necessary, but the way I always did the super-glue thing with my old 3x3x3s was that I put glue on just the screw (a tiny bit in the hole if the stripping was really bad), and waited for it to dry before screwing it in, rather than screwing it in before the glue has settled. It always worked pretty well for my 3x3x3s, and I was still able to reset tensions if I absolutely needed to.

I'd say that if you feel uncomfortable doing the super-glue thing that might render your cube un-tensionable, then maybe it's just better to get a new one. (of course, there's no guarantee that your next one will be any better.) I would personally try it with just a tiny bit of super-glue first and see if it works. Unless I was using the super-glue trick completely incorrectly in my old cubing days, then it shouldn't be too difficult to readjust tensions after you've put a bit of super-glue on the screw.

Hopefully this helps--good luck!

pdilla

Thanks for the input, you guys. I really appreciate it.

Awaiting the C4U core right now. I'll attempt the screw glue/super glue fix with my mini Dayan+mf8, which is suffering the same problem to see if it helps at all.

I'll keep you all updated!

BTW, I love your vids Avid! I never subbed to you all this time. So I just did!
t6xv8n.png

pdilla

Alright so, results.

After inserting the C4U core, I initially was pleased by the sold grip the core had on the screws. There was no way any stripping was going to happen.

But, after inserting the 2x2 corners and edges, it became apparent that the C4U core doesn't fit! If you all recall, the screws sandwich the 2x2 edges and corners between the center pieces and the core itself, so if the core isn't exactly the same size, it seems as though the 2x2 pieces will not be snug enough no matter how tightly I tightened the screws.

So all in all, the C4U core, while being an awesome candidate for killing the core stripping problem, fails due to size issues.

I'm going to order one of the newer Dayan cores (the cream colored one), due to it's seemingly denser make up and similar size to the old Dayan core.

Updates will follow.

Last edited:

samchoochiu

WCA
2010CHIU01
YouTube
Visit Channel
some times its the screw and not the core. For example I have always wondered why my haiyan memory always gets its core stripped, I changed cores 4 times until once I decided to change the screw. This fixed the problem. Even the old cores that I replaced worked fine with the new screw

pdilla

Well, if the core stripping persists, then I know that the problem isn't the core, but the fact that the C4U core held firmly for the short time that I had kept it in, suggests to me that the screws aren't the issue. That, and my mini Dayan+mf8 had this same problem using completely different screws but the same kind of Dayan core.

But I will keep that in mind for future troubleshooting. Thanks.

wytefury

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey just gonna let you know, all you need to do with the c4u core is dremel it down just a tad and itll work fine. It sounds kind of weird but yeah. It takes like 5 mins tops too, so give it a try if the other cores you try don't fit either.

Last edited: