• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Which side do you so your 2 side PLL recognition on?

Which side do you do your 2 sided PLL recognition on?

• Total voters

jskyler91

YouTube
Visit Channel
Well since it's only physically possible to see 3 faces at a time, I always think of the far left one as F and the far right one as R. Whenever I do L moves I don't actually see the L face.

How much have you experimented with L/F over F/R? It seems weird to me to be able to alternate between them, but I guess it could be done.

Ah, I define the left as the left side and the right as the right side. What I am saying is that the right side is often in motion more and therefore it is harder to see that side properly, whereas the left side is often moving less and therefore you can predict the PLL better there. If you are a lefty then this would probably be reversed.

Quadrescence

Banned
The title says it all, I am curious which side those of you who do 2 side PLL recognition do their recognizing on.

I cannot make up my mind on which is best. It seems to me that the most physically comfortable side to do this on (assuming you use right handed algs) is the right side as the cube is often already slightly twisted that way during your OLL, however, while this may be comfortable I don't think this is the best way to do your 2 side recog because the R and U faces are almost always in motion during OLL and therefore your ability to look ahead into PLL is diminished. On the other hand, while looking on the left side will provide better lookahead in general, it is also very awkward and makes performing your OLL's harder. I am curious what other peoples' opinions on this are or if they have really thought about this at all. Thanks.

neither is best because of symmetry; it is not an opinion

jskyler91

YouTube
Visit Channel
neither is best because of symmetry; it is not an opinion

Sorry, but I think you missed my long post on the second page, I am talking about this interms of actual execution, not in terms of symmetry, technically both sides are the same, but since we move the left side less (if your right handed) it is actually easier to look ahead on that side.

Quadrescence

Banned
Sorry, but I think you missed my long post on the second page, I am talking about this interms of actual execution, not in terms of symmetry, technically both sides are the same, but since we move the left side less (if your right handed) it is actually easier to look ahead on that side.

i thought cubers were supposed to take full advantage of both hands, in order to perform optimal execution

jskyler91

YouTube
Visit Channel
i thought cubers were supposed to take full advantage of both hands, in order to perform optimal execution

Maybe during F2L (although most don't), but during PLL, most people use very fixed algs which favor their hand dominance. If people use left and right hand algs all the time then my argument would be null, but in general this is not the case.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jostle

WCA
2011NYMA01
Easier yes, but not better, the whole point here is to create a system that maximizes look ahead into PLL.

Is there something that I'm not understanding here? How would the side that you recog on affect the cases that you can get, or even throw you off?

jskyler91

YouTube
Visit Channel
Is there something that I'm not understanding here? How would the side that you recog on affect the cases that you can get, or even throw you off?

It wouldn't, it would simply affect how well you could predict what was coming. This is all to help eliminate the pause between OLL and PLL. Very simple idea, but most of us don't do this and I was just letting the forum know about it in case they didn't (which apparently they don't)

Godmil

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Oh I get it now, so you're interested in which view at the end of OLL gives the most undisturbed view of the LL sides. I'd have to conclude that it should be evaluated on a case by case bases, maybe there is a preferred side for each OLL.

JK

WCA
2012PANJ02
After reading this, I think maybe looking L side to recognize PLL is better than R side.
I've dicided to practise recognizing PLLs on L side.