• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

C4U springs in SS 6x6?

mati1242

I think maybe a little bit but not as much as in ShengShou 6x6.
I watched Florian's video about World Record Mod and he tried this and there's no big difference.

Florian

WCA
2010KREY01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think maybe a little bit but not as much as in ShengShou 6x6.
I watched Florian's video about World Record Mod and he tried this and there's no big difference.

lol, i never said that. You have to try it for yourself, some people won't like it other people will like it. It makes the cube faster, but it won't be smooth and it will lock a bit more.

Konsta

WCA
2008JUKK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
but isn't that the same as just loosening or tightening a cube?
No. If you have hard/long springs that cause friction and you loose it too much, you will get lots of popping. When you have shorter/softer springs you can keep the screw tighter but you still have loose spring and the cube turns fine.

sa11297

WCA
2011AGAR05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Next mod these pieces
amwg2f.jpg

For these pieces, do you guys think it is a good idea to round off where they touch the center corners? Also, what about rounding of the inner edges where they meet the outer edges? It seems like a good mod to me, but I do not want to create pops.

JianhanC

WCA
2010CHOO02
I don't have a SS 6x6, but what would be a pretty good idea is to take the pieces that come in contact with each other and rub them together to see how you can shape them to pop less and stuff. I think the 5x5 mod would work reasonably well. You shouldn't sand away too much, just round sharp edges.

Ickathu

WCA
2011MERT03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm sure someone has asked this already, but would Dayan springs be good too?
I don't use my zhanchi anymore, so I could swap the springs. Also, is there a way to change out the springs without completely disassembling?

mitch1234

WCA
2010LANE02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm sure someone has asked this already, but would Dayan springs be good too?
I don't use my zhanchi anymore, so I could swap the springs. Also, is there a way to change out the springs without completely disassembling?
Dayan springs work the best, they are a bit slower then C4Y but they make the cube lock up less. And no you must completely disassemble the cube.

Ickathu

WCA
2011MERT03
YouTube
Visit Channel
i didnt disassemble the whole cube, You can just disassemble parts of it, change the springs, reassemble and then repeat for all the sides.

Too late. :)

How much do I tighten it? Until I can hear the springs squeaking, all the way, until the screw is flush with the plastic circle part, or somewhere else?

Last edited:

Ickathu

WCA
2011MERT03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just swapped out the springs. It's insanely fast, but it feels really loose. It popped on me on my first solve when I was just finishing my second center. I tightened it some, but it still feels really loose. I was turning it calmly and slowly to prevent pops and got a 5:36 single. PB is 5:21...

IN LOVE.