• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Rowe Variation: My new last slot/OLL experiment

rowehessler

Nice work Rowe! I also had the idea of such thing like RLS when I learned a few WV-cases. I look forward to learn some RLS-cases when I'm done with normal WV.
btw: here.. http://rowe.cubing.net/rls/wv.php shouldn't the first algorithm be U L' U2.. instead of U' L' U2..?

no its correct i think you're referring to the alg if it was (U) L' U2 R U R' U2 L. My alg on the site is different.

sa11297

WCA
2011AGAR05
YouTube
Visit Channel
This is a lot of algorithms (I will still learn WV), so is it better to learn this or a couple of sets of zbll (or ollcp)? While I am asking, is zbll more useful or ollcp or just depends on the person?

jskyler91

YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm now done learning RLS. I learned all of the cases except for when all the edges are unoriented (I'm not really sure those are worth it, sledgehammer + OLL is fine for me). As of right now I haven't had any amazingly fast times with any because the recognition still needs work, but I'm slowly getting better at them all.

How often are you getting to use these algs? Do you do this every solve or not really that often?

A Leman

I'm now done learning RLS. I learned all of the cases except for when all the edges are unoriented (I'm not really sure those are worth it, sledgehammer + OLL is fine for me). As of right now I haven't had any amazingly fast times with any because the recognition still needs work, but I'm slowly getting better at them all.

How long did this take? could you please explain how you went about learning them. For example, how many algs per day and breaks it took.

rowehessler

I get them about 1 in 4 solves. I started learning them in January so about 3 months to learn them all. I learned them by subsets and learned like one set per week or so and then break and just practice those dew

jskyler91

YouTube
Visit Channel
I get them about 1 in 4 solves. I started learning them in January so about 3 months to learn them all. I learned them by subsets and learned like one set per week or so and then break and just practice those dew

Thanks for the reply, my biggest problem with learning these is that less than half of my f2l algs end with a block formed, this would make my chances of getting and RLS even lower right? I just worry that 100 plus algs for only a 1 in 4 chance of using them is a little bit of a waste. How do you feel about them? Do you do anything to help ensure that you get a block formed in the front right slot?

rowehessler

Thanks for the reply, my biggest problem with learning these is that less than half of my f2l algs end with a block formed, this would make my chances of getting and RLS even lower right? I just worry that 100 plus algs for only a 1 in 4 chance of using them is a little bit of a waste. How do you feel about them? Do you do anything to help ensure that you get a block formed in the front right slot?

well half of the f2l cases set up to it with only a few moves, but I don't try to set up to them every time. I will hopefully generate lags with the pair broken as well, but the recognition will be worse and I don't think I'll actually learn them. The only thing i think I will get out of RLS is a few ridiculous singles once in a while, but I don't think my average would be affected that much seeing as I won't be using them every time. Only time will tell I guess, hopefully by nationals I will be comfortable with them all.

should i make videos on the algs?

Last edited by a moderator:

A Leman

Thanks for the reply. I already know wv so I am going to try to learn most of these. From what i see, you choose very good algs. These make pll skips so much cooler!

jskyler91

YouTube
Visit Channel
well half of the f2l cases set up to it with only a few moves, but I don't try to set up to them every time. I will hopefully generate lags with the pair broken as well, but the recognition will be worse and I don't think I'll actually learn them. The only thing i think I will get out of RLS is a few ridiculous singles once in a while, but I don't think my average would be affected that much seeing as I won't be using them every time. Only time will tell I guess, hopefully by nationals I will be comfortable with them all.

should i make videos on the algs?

I always say a video is better than a written explanation, but I can tell you that making that video would be incredibly time consuming. My f2l vid which one had about 200 algs in it was over an hour long after editing it down dramatically and the original footage was around 2 hours. I would love to see how you finger them though. Thanks again for sharing all of your hard work. Even if I don't choose to use this, I really appreciate your effort here and I think this has a lot of potential if someone is willing to try and mirror all of the algs.

A Leman

jskyler91 got me thinking, would it be helpful to learn a kind of R Oll for RLS or maybe just WV? You would be looking at the corners already anyway.

I think this would be way too many algs. I guess combining rls with r oll would create well over 1000 algs with difficult recognition and few benifits.

sa11297

WCA
2011AGAR05
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think this would be way too many algs. I guess combining rls with r oll would create well over 1000 algs with difficult recognition and few benifits.

R Oll is not any algorithms right? It is just recognition, so if you can do it for the 57 cases of Oll then the 24 (I think) cases of WV should not be too bad. I can see how doing this for complete R Oll would be too difficult. Btw, are there any R Oll web pages or videos other than jskyler91's and the page on absolutemind.com?

Bob

Premium Member
WCA
2003BURT01
R Oll is not any algorithms right? It is just recognition, so if you can do it for the 57 cases of Oll then the 24 (I think) cases of WV should not be too bad. I can see how doing this for complete R Oll would be too difficult. Btw, are there any R Oll web pages or videos other than jskyler91's and the page on absolutemind.com?

There are 27 WV cases and 27*8 = 216 RLS cases in total.