• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Rowe Variation: My new last slot/OLL experiment

Ickenicke

YouTube
Visit Channel
I didn't know that you could use WV that often, maybe worth to learn.

@Rowe Is that if I can use WV or RLS for all slots (or rotate), or to get it at just FR for example?

stoic

Premium Member
WCA
2013DEAR01
Lol yeah I couldn't think of anything else. I hate my last name so i just put the R

I actually think your name is pretty cool...although it's arguably cooler that you can just use your first name and everyone knows who you are.

I'm not fast enough to learn these but it's great to see top cubers sharing their work and being prepared to collaborate like this. :tu

rowehessler

I didn't know that you could use WV that often, maybe worth to learn.

@Rowe Is that if I can use WV or RLS for all slots (or rotate), or to get it at just FR for example?

Just FR but technically BL would be the same thing with a y2.

rowehessler

It's assuming every regular LS case ends with either R U' R', R U R', F' U' F or F' U F'. They're not evenly distributed of course, and there are algs people use that don't end in either.

lol thank you, yeah I was having a tough time trying to explain it.

I know almost all of my OLL's from both angles so if I see that I am getting an ENVY then I use another alg which avoids it. Therefore I almost never get ENVY's.

I don't think this works without learning additinal OLL variants.
At least 18 of my (optimal) OLL's are not permuting Corners (Sune,...), and the are also some diagonal OLLs (FRUR'U'F',...) - for all these cases mirroring/inverting my OLL will not make ENVY disapear.

Personally I use even more then 18 non permuting OLLs (around 40) especially for all this cases I use R-OLL recogniton (didn't know it has a name so far)

Escher

Babby
WCA
2008KINN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't think this works without learning additinal OLL variants.
At least 18 of my (optimal) OLL's are not permuting Corners (Sune,...), and the are also some diagonal OLLs (FRUR'U'F',...) - for all these cases mirroring/inverting my OLL will not make ENVY disapear.

Personally I use even more then 18 non permuting OLLs (around 40) especially for all this cases I use R-OLL recogniton (didn't know it has a name so far)

Yup, mirroring/inverting OLLs isn't effective 1/3rd of the time, you just have to learn a different alg if the alg you normally uses solves diag CP or solved CP.

jskyler91

YouTube
Visit Channel

jskyler91

YouTube
Visit Channel
I keep wish washing on learning UB,UL and WV fully. My biggest problem is that if I don't learn to mirror them then I will really only be using these like 1 out of every 6 or 7 solves, maybe less because i have many f2l cases that are just algs which dont end with the block formed and then inserted. I would be interested to see some stats on how often these will actually be used if you could do front right and front left. Because just doing RLS 1 out of 7 solves is really not enought to make me get really comfortable and fast with the algs.

EDIT: Can someone create a RLS TRANER? This would be really cool, especially if it mirrored things to all slots, this way you could practice EVERY case as many times as you needed.

Last edited:

Bob

Premium Member
WCA
2003BURT01
I just finished learning WV the other day. I found most of Rowe's algs to be my favorite...probably in part because he taught me the first few of them. To practice, I have just been scrambling and solving 2-gen. This does not help, however in practicing the other slots or non-WV cases.

rowehessler

I'm now done learning RLS. I learned all of the cases except for when all the edges are unoriented (I'm not really sure those are worth it, sledgehammer + OLL is fine for me). As of right now I haven't had any amazingly fast times with any because the recognition still needs work, but I'm slowly getting better at them all.