Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: How to Look Ahead in the Fridrich/ CFOP Method

YouTube
    NickeCubing

Quote Originally Posted by jskyler91 View Post
    Thats great, did my last video seem clear? I felt like I had too many ideas and not enough time to explain.
    The last video was very good and clear. I have never thought about doing so much at my LL, like learning what my OLLs do to the corners.
    Personal records: PB/NL/5/12/25/50/100 3x3x3 9.20/9.99/12.09/12.81/13.40/13.82/13.97 Cubing since 10th May 2011

YouTube
    jskyler91

Quote Originally Posted by Ickenicke View Post
    The last video was very good and clear. I have never thought about doing so much at my LL, like learning what my OLLs do to the corners.
    Ok, good I was really worried about that. Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

WCA Profile
    2008VELJ01
    YouTube
    sv00013

Thanks for the videos! I just watched all of them in one sitting, when I'm supposed to be sleeping. :P
    The wiki! read the FAQ and forum rules. Very useful resources. Post your efforts. Solve blindfolded. Introduce yourself! BB code - Compete! - Ask a question!

YouTube
    jskyler91

Quote Originally Posted by Sahid Velji View Post
    Thanks for the videos! I just watched all of them in one sitting, when I'm supposed to be sleeping. :P
    Nice, lol, I rarely sleep as well. I have been learning tons of stuff lately by watching Felik's videos and averages. I might just make a vid on the stuff I learned from him lol.

Premium Member Ranzha V. Emodrach's Avatar
    WCA Profile
    2009HARN01
    YouTube
    RanzhaTheLoneCuber

For the first (R D R2' F) cross, you can form a pair using (R D R2' U' F) =D
    Overall, I think | Skewb
    Having sigs allow three lines | 3x3: ~13
    Isn't a huge deal. | Skewb: ~7

WCA Profile
    2012VOGL01

Quote Originally Posted by jskyler91 View Post
    I might just make a vid on the stuff I learned from him lol.
    I would like to see that.

WCA Profile
    2007STRO01
    YouTube
    Sa967St

I finally got around to watching these. Good job, you explained things really well.

Most of the F2L lookahead "tutorials" I've seen explain it like a fixed system. They say that you find a pair, keep an eye out for the next pair, and track the next pair while you're executing the previous one. I like how you emphasized being able to find the next pairs anytime. That kind of flexibility is important during solves. It's also good to be aware of more than one pair at once, which you covered. One thing you missed (I think, sorry if you did and I just missed it) is being prepared to change your mind on which pair to insert next. Supposed you were tracking a pair, but turned into an ugly case, and there happens to be a much easier pair somewhere. IMO F2L look-ahead is perfected when one is be prepared for inserting any pair at any given time. Other than that I think you explained all the important things. I really liked the "don't think about a pair after you've found it" idea, it's definitely a key to being good at F2L.

For the LS->OLL and OLL->PLL transitions I think you covered most of the important techniques. It's a lot of stuff to go over in just 20 mins. I would have recommended more examples of the OLLs with blocks/bars/headlight you can watch, but then that video would be much longer.

Also, lol@ "Van Vars Landenbergh".

YouTube
    jskyler91

Quote Originally Posted by Sa967St View Post
    I finally got around to watching these. Good job, you explained things really well.

Most of the F2L lookahead "tutorials" I've seen explain it like a fixed system. They say that you find a pair, keep an eye out for the next pair, and track the next pair while you're executing the previous one. I like how you emphasized being able to find the next pairs anytime. That kind of flexibility is important during solves. It's also good to be aware of more than one pair at once, which you covered. One thing you missed (I think, sorry if you did and I just missed it) is being prepared to change your mind on which pair to insert next. Supposed you were tracking a pair, but turned into an ugly case, and there happens to be a much easier pair somewhere. IMO F2L look-ahead is perfected when one is be prepared for inserting any pair at any given time. Other than that I think you explained all the important things. I really liked the "don't think about a pair after you've found it" idea, it's definitely a key to being good at F2L.

For the LS->OLL and OLL->PLL transitions I think you covered most of the important techniques. It's a lot of stuff to go over in just 20 mins. I would have recommended more examples of the OLLs with blocks/bars/headlight you can watch, but then that video would be much longer.

Also, lol@ "Van Vars Landenbergh".
    Thank you for your kind words, I tried to keep these vids short per requests; but I am sort of regretting that now as I remember soo many things that I didn't cover. For instance, I really should have gone over PLL prediction using 2 side PLL recognition and of course what you mentioned about floating pairs/ changing your mind during F2L is important as well. I think I might do some example solves soon which will help clear these things up a bit.

On a side note I generally don't stop my current F2L pair if I see an easier one because I find that it is often obtrusive and requires far too many regrips, instead I try to influence my next pair with different inserts or at the very least track it. The only time i really do stop my current pair and do something different is if I have a F2L pair already formed on top and there is not an easy way to preserve it using different inserts. This seems to be what the really fast cubers do at least, from my observations of course.
    Last edited by jskyler91; 03-23-2012 at 04:11 AM.

Hey
    i've just watched all your videos and their are great but i couldn't understand your video for pll recognition..., isn't there another way to have good pll recognition? I am sub 14 now but my last layer makes 6s of that, most of the time is pll recognition, sometimes 2s and thatvis very bad, because i think i have a real good f2l..., could you make some more videos for pll recognition? Maybe the 2 side recognition?
    Sry for mistakes in this text, but i don`t speak English very well

YouTube
    jskyler91

Quote Originally Posted by Speedmaster View Post
    Hey
    i've just watched all your videos and their are great but i couldn't understand your video for pll recognition..., isn't there another way to have good pll recognition? I am sub 14 now but my last layer makes 6s of that, most of the time is pll recognition, sometimes 2s and thatvis very bad, because i think i have a real good f2l..., could you make some more videos for pll recognition? Maybe the 2 side recognition?
    Sry for mistakes in this text, but i don`t speak English very well
    Sure, I plan on making a few vids this spring break and I will make this one of them.