• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

The Rice Method

rice

@Ickenicke: Given the initial feedback we see here, I think it would be safe to say that this method has potential in a number of different areas. As with any method, it just comes down to practice.

Some questions for those who have been messing with the rice method for a bit: How does recog affect your times? How difficult is the transition from other methods? Are there any bottlenecks?

@Kirjava: list updated

Last edited:

Ranzha

Friendly, Neighbourhoodly
WCA
2009HARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
L F2 L2 B2 R B2 U2 F2 R' D2 B2 F' U' L' D2 B' D' R2 D2 F2 U2

Corners: R U2 R' F2 U' R2' F
1/2 Belt: U' M U2 M'
1/2 Belt: y M2' U M' U' M2' U
DR and DL: y' S2 R' E' l y' E' M' E M' x y
L6E: M' U2 M2 U M U M2' U2 M2' U M2' U

37 STM
I like this method =)

y235

WCA
2011BROD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
R2 B' U R' L B U B2 D' B' U2 R U2 B2 L' U2 F2 B2 L' U2 L'

x R2 U' R' U R' F R2 F'
M2 z U' M S U' M2 F M2 F'
M U2 S D2 S D2
x2 M' U M U M' U' M U M2 U' M2 U' M D2 M' D2
38 STM

rice

I made a lame worksheet that may me since I'm a visual learner. The only complete list of EG algs I know of is here, which is where I'll be going to while I'm learning EG (unless there's a 'better' list out there). Some things I'll be trying to memorize algs effectively: executing algs with two hands and OH with each hand, mentally visualizing the cube while it turns as I perform the alg in my head, using my lame worksheet. Using multiple, different approaches to learn an alg will force me to thoroughly and completely master it, while giving me a deeper understanding into how the alg affects the cube. Who wants to join me? :D

ps: list updated

rice

@StachuK1992: might wanna update the eg wiki page ;)

Someone get Feliks to do it so the rest of us don't feel so bad about how much slower we are with only a few days of practice. :D

cubacca1972

I'm a bit slow on the uptake, so it took me a few readings of the first post to grasp the method. Now that I am starting to get it, I am impressed. Corners First Lives! I will stick with calling it the Rice Method, as [soapbox] I can't stand deciphering what a method is by some odd clump of capitalized letters [soapbox]. Is Rice your name or nickname?

rice

rice is my nickname.....I love rice, I eat it everyday :D
It seems like my writing skills have failed since you needed to go over the first post several times. What parts need improvement? I want to make it as clear as possible, so that anyone reading this would be able to understand the rice method after one reading. btw, if anyone wants to make a video tutorial of the rice method, they are more than welcome to. I think that would help those of us who don't want to be spammed by a wall of text.

cubacca1972

rice is my nickname.....I love rice, I eat it everyday :D
It seems like my writing skills have failed since you needed to go over the first post several times. What parts need improvement? I want to make it as clear as possible, so that anyone reading this would be able to understand the rice method after one reading. btw, if anyone wants to make a video tutorial of the rice method, they are more than welcome to. I think that would help those of us who don't want to be spammed by a wall of text.

I just got thrown by the FSE description. I would describe it as follows:

The first six edges are solved in three sub-steps, 2A, 2B, and 2C. Step 2A solves any two edges in the E slice that are adjacent to each other. Step 2B solves the remaining two E slice edges. Step 2C solves either the DB and DF edges, or the DL and DR edges, while solving all the centres.

Then I would add all the qualifiers to each step in the more detailed sections that describe each substep (i.e., you don't have to worry about centers until 2C, don't have to align the edges with the D layer corners until 2C, etc.).

Depending on your thoughts on keeping your actual name private, I'd still consider naming the method after yourself.

Sillas

YouTube
Visit Channel
This method have structure similar to M2/OP (that you know), but performed with opened eyes. Using EG to more efficient corners, LSE from Roux method and this new FSE.
Step 1: Corners
Step 2: First Six Edges
Step 3: Last Six Edges
Some things I'll be trying to memorize algs effectively: executing algs with two hands and OH with each hand, mentally visualizing the cube while it turns as I perform the alg in my head, using my lame worksheet. Using multiple, different approaches to learn an alg will force me to thoroughly and completely master it, while giving me a deeper understanding into how the alg affects the cube.
By your posts you seems know much things about all this, even being a new member.

Last edited:

Kirjava

Colourful
WCA
2006BARL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I bet you can generate a bunch of useful algs for step 2b.

2a can be done with a similar fashion to 2c, ignoring centres while solving corners gives a small improvement also.

number of times: 38/38
best time: 19.87
worst time: 49.45

current avg5: 25.06 (σ = 0.24)
best avg5: 23.91 (σ = 0.69)

current avg12: 24.98 (σ = 1.67)
best avg12: 24.98 (σ = 1.67)

Last edited:

rice

@cubacca1972: description changed, hopefully for the better. I prefer to call my method the rice method because using my own name would be awkward, like referring to myself in the third-person. I may reveal my identity at a later time, if I go to a comp.

@Sillas: This is the Internet. If one bothers to thoroughly research a topic, one can pick up quite a lot of things.

@Godmil and chikato_tan: There's a 30% chance that I may make a video. Once again, if anyone wants to make a tutorial, they can certainly do so.

@Kirjava: Thanks for being brave and posting your times! <3 Makes you feel like a noob all over again, right? ;)
As for generating algs, I'm a bit too busy to do so atm, thus I extend the invitation to anyone who wishes to do so.
Regarding 2b, if there is an edge pair in FL/UR, we can do U F M' F' then insert it. It's shorter than the alg I posted earlier.

rice

I was just talking about your current average relative to your PB. :p