• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Suggestion: Reply Notification

Impliment Reply Notification?

• Awww yeah!

Votes: 30 90.9%
  • Hell no!

Votes: 3 9.1%

• Total voters

conn9

WCA
2012TALB01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've looked on this site and can't find any reference to this.
Basically, I suggest that you can be notified when someone has replied to one of your posts/questions. Just like a notification on Facebook I guess, when you know if someone has replied to your comment there. It gets quite annoying when you can't keep track of where you've posted, but still have unanswered (or so you think) questions. Also, I find myself refreshing the page of threads constantly to see if someone's replied to my questions. I might be being stupid, and it could be impossible anyway, but someone might forget about a thread or can't find a thread when they've had a question answered on it. This function would be useful for these, if it's possible. It could only be a small number at the top of the page for you, and I guess you could opt out of it. So, would this be possible? Is it a good idea? Sorry if this is already known about or I just can't find a post which says exactly this.

Also, for those who don't like this idea, it could be opt in per post (suggested by JonnyWhoopes), maybe have it in the Go Advanced section, and have an option for 'Notify me if there is a reply to this post'.

I don't really think it should be an email sent to you every time someone's quoted you though, those sorts of things just clog up my mail, it could just be a little notification in-site (depending on how difficult that is).

Last edited:

rubikmaster

WCA
2011JANE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
LOL,I actually had this idea and I was going to post it today,how unbelievable.anyway,I'm glad somebody finally suggested this.It is definitely a good idea.Many users reply to somebody and they probably want that person to see it,whether they are anwsering that person's question or just giving their opinion on their post.So I think something like this would be great and would help a lot to many people on the forum.:tuBTW,it would be great to add a poll to this to see if people would like it or not.I think it is definitely necesarry.

Jaycee

YouTube
Visit Channel
I say it's definitely not necessary, and it's better that we don't have one. With the amount of people that could quote one specific post, the notifications would get very annoying very fast. It's not that hard to go back to a thread where you posted.

Chrisandstuff

Id definetly like to see this feature on the boards. Sometimes you dont always remember where you posted and sometimes you had something important you want to know or something. And it could be like user A, User B,and User X all replied to your post/ thread. This would keep from someone getting 3 notifications for just one thread or message or whatever.

conn9

WCA
2012TALB01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I say it's definitely not necessary, and it's better that we don't have one. With the amount of people that could quote one specific post, the notifications would get very annoying very fast. It's not that hard to go back to a thread where you posted.

It could just be a little number at the top of your screen.

Edit: Also, it could implement the idea of, if you've read a reply (such as this one), then it wouldn't show the notification.

Last edited:

BrainOfSweden

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I understand those who dislike the noticifations idea, but what about a list with all threads you posted in, of course the ones with the most recent post on top of the list. If you've been quoted since your last post, the thread icon shows that. This works well on other forums, would work here too. I know you can subscribe to threads, but I always forget that xD

JonnyWhoopes

Premium Member
WCA
2011GRAY02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm speaking from a viewpoint with no idea how difficult implementation would be, but perhaps make it an opt-in per post. You could make it a little check box under the "Go Advanced" posting option, and you would receive a notification when your post is quoted.

emolover

WCA
2009MAHO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Another forum(forum.emobucket.com) I go to has something like this and it sends it to my email which I just ignore the alerts. The problem is that people will disregard any notifications after a while.

Youtube does this too.

JLarsen

Premium Member
WCA
2009LARS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've wanted something like this for a long time although I'm not sure about the specifics of how to opt in/opt out/when you receive them. But it can definitely be a pain finding the thread you posted in, and then finding the page it was on...especially in a thread like OAQT.

Carson

Premium Member
WCA
2008PENT01
I like the concept, but I will leave the specifics of exactly how it would work to the "experts." We do have the subscribe to thread option, but its really only useful in a very small number of circumstances.

As Sarah mentioned, this would be really useful in the one answer threads. I have asked questions there and received answers that I did not notice until days later. It really makes me feel like a ****** when that happens and I don't have the chance to thank those that take the time to help me out.

Last edited:

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
I will add this to the to-do list. It may be a feature in an upcoming version of vB, so it wouldn't be worth creating a custom hack before then. Subscribe to threads for now, or you can go to your profile and view your forum post so you remember which threads you've replied to.

IRNjuggle28

YouTube
Visit Channel
This still seems like a good idea; it would save some unnecessary checks of threads. The idea seems to have wound up on the back burner and plenty of people would still like it, so I think it's worth a bump.