• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

2x2x2 Algorithms

ThomasJE

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm not sure whether this belongs in the OAQT or another sub-forum, so mods feel free to move this.

I currently use the Y perm for the adjacent corner swap (UFR + UBL) PLL for Ortega. So, I decided to find the optimal alg(s) for this case using this alg generator. Turns out the optimal number is 11 HTM and 13 QTM, and there are 24 cases.

This is my question:
Do/Would you use one of these optimal algs or a longer (turn count)/faster alg? And if you use a different one, what is that alg?

Here are the 24 optimal algs:
R F' R U R' U2 R' U' F' U F2 (11,13)
R F' R U2 F R' F' R' U2 R' F (11,13)
R F' U' R' U2 R' U R F' U F2 (11,13)
R F' U2 F' R' F' R U2 F R' F (11,13)
R U' F R U' R2 U' F' R' U F2 (11,13)
R U' F R2 U F' R' U' F2 U' F (11,13)
R U' R' U' F2 U' R U R' U F2 (11,13)
R U' R2 U' F' R' U F2 R U' F (11,13)
F' U F U R2 U F' U' F U' R2 (11,13)
F' U R' F' U F2 U R F U' R2 (11,13)
F' U R' F2 U' R F U R2 U R' (11,13)
F' U F2 U R F U' R2 F' U R' (11,13)
F' R U F U2 F U' F' R U' R2 (11,13)
F' R F' U' F U2 F U R U' R2 (11,13)
F' R F' U2 R' F R F U2 F R' (11,13)
F' R U2 R F R F' U2 R' F R' (11,13)
F2 U' F U R U2 R U' R' F R' (11,13)
F2 U' F R' U' R U2 R U F R' (11,13)
F2 U' R F U R2 U R' F' U R' (11,13)
F2 U' R U' R' U F2 U R U R' (11,13)
R2 U F' U F U' R2 U' F' U' F (11,13)
R2 U F' R' U' F2 U' F R U' F (11,13)
R2 U R' F U F' U2 F' U' R' F (11,13)
R2 U R' U' F' U2 F' U F R' F (11,13)

Last edited by a moderator:

RCTACameron

WCA
2010STOL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I really don't like this 2x2 case. I wanted to get all my CLLs sub-1 a while ago. It didn't take me long to get all the other cases (the longest one took an hour.) But it took me 2 months to get the diagonal swap sub-1. I tried a few algorithms, but the sub-1 ended up being with R U' R' U' F2 U' R U R' D R2. Another alg I tried was R' U R' F2 R F' U R' F2 R F' R (12,14). The normal Y-perm alg can be fast too though. Example:

Last edited by a moderator:

aronpm

Yes, I was just pointing out that his alg was a Y perm.

He realises that. It's why he said that. Most people use the regular 3x3 Y perm for diag corner swap on 2x2, but NSKuber said that most people use the other algorithm, which is not true.

NSKuber

WCA
2011OBLA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
@Cameron, what's the point of trying to get all your CLLs sub-1? It's very hard to get in an actual solve, with all the lockups.

You're wrong. When you have goal to do them all sub-1, you'll search for better algorithms, search for better ways of doing old algs, and you'll train them A LOT. In result, you'll greatly improve your average time of doing algs on real solve, and you'll use BEST algorithms for YOU. I don't think it's a waste of time :)

rowehessler

He realises that. It's why he said that. Most people use the regular 3x3 Y perm for diag corner swap on 2x2, but NSKuber said that most people use the other algorithm, which is not true.

you're not good at 2x2 so why don't you just go be an arrogant ass in some BLD thread or something

aronpm

Hey Rowe, how about you stop being such a ****? I don't know what your problem with me is, but feel free to send me a message.

RCTACameron

WCA
2010STOL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You're wrong. When you have goal to do them all sub-1, you'll search for better algorithms, search for better ways of doing old algs, and you'll train them A LOT. In result, you'll greatly improve your average time of doing algs on real solve, and you'll use BEST algorithms for YOU. I don't think it's a waste of time :)

I completely agree. I have found much better ways of doing some algs, like instead of R U R' D R U' R U R' U R', I used F R F' U R U' R U R' U R'.

Ickenicke

YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but how do you do when practising algs?

I mean, when I have found the alg I want and have started using fingertricks, how do I practice?

Please don't just say do it over ad over again, can someone please give me some tips?