• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Practicing Old Pochmann/M2

foolish

So, I've been checking out tutorials and started practicing Old Pochmann/M2 within the last days and still got some questions.

1) Most tutorials give lots of tips and ideas on practicing the memorization, but apart from the algorithms I haven't read much about the execution. So I wondered, should I directly start memorizing the cube and try to solve (parts of) it blind or would it help to train the method with eyes open first until it can be done pretty fast without too much thinking?

2) I've learnt most of the stuff from Eric Limeback's tutorial on youtube so far and he solves the corners first, then the edges. When checking Stefan's site, I saw that he solves edges first. Is there any advantage in doing either of them first, or just personal preference?

3) I also find it not too easy to do/undo some setup moves intuitively, although they're pretty short. Is learning them by heart for each case an option or should I just keep practicing until I can make them up on the run?

Thanks

thatkid

WCA
2012SEET01
So, I've been checking out tutorials and started practicing Old Pochmann/M2 within the last days and still got some questions.

1) Most tutorials give lots of tips and ideas on practicing the memorization, but apart from the algorithms I haven't read much about the execution. So I wondered, should I directly start memorizing the cube and try to solve (parts of) it blind or would it help to train the method with eyes open first until it can be done pretty fast without too much thinking?

2) I've learnt most of the stuff from Eric Limeback's tutorial on youtube so far and he solves the corners first, then the edges. When checking Stefan's site, I saw that he solves edges first. Is there any advantage in doing either of them first, or just personal preference?

3) I also find it not too easy to do/undo some setup moves intuitively, although they're pretty short. Is learning them by heart for each case an option or should I just keep practicing until I can make them up on the run?

Thanks

1) I personally find it easier to practise parts of it blind rather than doing sighted (eyes open) solving.
2) Eric Limeback solves corners first because of his memo system. It involves tapping and memorising colours. This can not be stored for a very long time so when he does corners first, he still remembers the edges because he has a stronger memo system for them
3) Keep practising. This is the only step that i recommend learning sighted. Just remember to keep set up moves 3 moves long for edges and 1-2 moves long for corners

AbstractAlg

WCA
2012OKAN02
YouTube
Visit Channel
1) Practice both ways, sighted for speed, full bld mostly for memo.

2) Tapping+sound gives you fast memo, but short-term. So I would recommend memo edges, memo corners, solve corners, solve edges. Also, I think it's easier to fix parity with corners first.

3) Keep practicing x2, understand why certain setups are the way they are and they will become very natural.

Rpotts

WCA
2010POTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You don't need R perm to solve parity regardless of whether you solve corners first or edges first. I've never done an R perm in BLD and have only used M2/OP with corners first.

Cubenovice

Forever Slow
If it works for you it is not useless :)

Please tell us how exacly you use the R-perm with M2
-order of solving?
- set up for R-perm
etc

just trying to understand

foolish

Eric Limeback teaches: solve corners, R-Perm if odd number of corners, solve edges with M2. Anyway what would you recommend for solving parity with M2, or just memorize the switched edges?

JasonK

Premium Member
WCA
2011KILB01
Dunno if he does the same as me, but I did:

Solve corners
R-Perm
Solve edges
U' F2 U M2 U' F2 U
R-Perm

foolish said:
Anyway what would you recommend for solving parity with M2, or just memorize the switched edges?

What I do now:

Solve corners except for the last target
Solve edges
U' F2 U M2 U' F2 U
Solve last corner

Cubenovice

Forever Slow
Eric Limeback teaches: solve corners, R-Perm if odd number of corners, solve edges with M2. Anyway what would you recommend for solving parity with M2, or just memorize the switched edges?

Two options copied from Zane_C's awesome M2 + progression thread:

-If you solve corners first:
Leave UBL and UBR swapped. Then once you've finished the edges, apply: M2 y L2 (T-perm) L2

-If you solve edges first:
Once you've solved all the edges, apply: D' L2 D M2 D' L2 D.
Then solve an odd number of corners with Classic Pochmann.