• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

So I guess I should make one of theses....

Titan

So I guess I should make one of these....

Hey there everyone! I'm a fairly new cuber, along with that I mean I'm terribly bad at it too. I got into cubing because my friend at school was getting a ton of attention because he could solve a rubik's cube so I decided to learn the 6 or 7 simple algorithms myself and give it a shot. I started to get faster but wasn't satisfied so I learned a few more F2L and PLL algorithms but not many. I just came here mainly looking for some help in getting a sub 60 second time. I average about 1:20 right now but can't seem to get past that. If anyone's willing to work with me on that just send me a VM or something.
Heres an image of my 2 most recent solves for time reasons
qqBfxL.png

Last edited:

Titan

Learn F2L (but learn it intuitively).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-xbcAMfWwM

I know some F2L but the problem is when I'm learning algorithms, most of the algorithms I never have a chance to use so that makes practicing a certain algorithm difficult at times. Now maybe if I knew some algs to set up the cube to practice certain algorithms that would be easier, anyone know those? (that was probably kinda confusing I can't explain things to save my life)

Hey there welcome to the forums. The wiki has alot of info that will help you get faster. Maybe learning a new method would also help, F2L will help alot on its own but full PLL is the next best thing.

Thanks for the welcome. I might try to learn Petrus but I hear that isn't as fast as Fridrich is.

EDIT: By the way, my cube is the Dayan Guhong. I just got it yesterday~

speedpicker

To set up a cube to practice an algorithm, just perform the algorithm you want to practice backwards, changing all clockwise moves to anitclockwise and vice versa

So if you want to practice: R U2' R' U2' R U' R'

setup this case by doing R U R' U2 R U2 R'

This is the same as the alg you want to practice read from right to left with ' removed where it is present and put in where it is not.

A simpler example: R U L' D' is set up by D L U' R'

Hope thats clear

Titan

To set up a cube to practice an algorithm, just perform the algorithm you want to practice backwards, changing all clockwise moves to anitclockwise and vice versa

So if you want to practice: R U2' R' U2' R U' R'

setup this case by doing R U R' U2 R U2 R'

This is the same as the alg you want to practice read from right to left with ' removed where it is present and put in where it is not.

A simpler example: R U L' D' is set up by D L U' R'

Hope thats clear
Thats perfectly clear, I'll work on that right now actually thanks

aaronb

Learn F2L intuitively as Julian said. The point of intuitive F2L is that you don't need to practice algorithms. Once you understand the concept of it, you can do all cases without needing to practice algorithms.

hyunchoi98

WCA
2012CHOI04
YouTube
Visit Channel
Welcome to the future! (Wait what? no, i mean the forums.)

If you're using the beginner's method now, try keyhole F2L.
I was intimidated by regular F2L so i started with keyhole F2L.
Once you have keyhole, I found it easy to teach myself F2L.

Of course, I still use beginners for my last layer, hence my 36 second averages.

KJ

Hi!
I'm glad we have a new member to join our community.:)
If you have not, learn 2 look OLL and PLL. Once you have those done, try 1 look PLL, then 1 look OLL. I It's a good idea to do 1 look OLL last because it requires 52 ALGORITHMS! I have not fully learned 1 look PLL, but I'm working on it.:)

A Leman

If your main goal is to get a sub 60 time without a lot of work, you should learn how to keyhole. Its really easy to get the hang of and will drop your move-count.Also, If you want to learn CFOP afterwards, keyhole can help you recognize x-crosses.