Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Photographic Memories?

WCA Profile
    2011KILB01

My results:
    Spoiler:
    table bird sloth syringe mango phone accordion book pen-lid apple cup guitar lemon kitten xylophone dog soccer ball sausage (no idea where sausage came from)
    so 18/24

Just straight-up image pairs: read two words, associate them together, go to next two words. Did this very quickly (a couple of seconds per pair), if I'd taken a bit longer I could have used a journey/story and got more of them. Pretty happy with this - haven't really done it before.
    Beep

WCA Profile
    2010KREY01
    YouTube
    RushHourable

My Results
    Spoiler:

cucumber
    book
    accordion
    fish
    mango
    phone
    kitten
    xylophone
    dog
    soccer ball
    tusk
    syringe
    sphere
    clock
    cup
    box
    pen lid
    pencil case
    guitar
    lemon
    Official Modder of the cubes used for the: 5x5 avg WR(Jay's made oct12),
    single WR(Tim's made dec11) and avg + single NAR(Kevin's made mar2012)

WCA Profile
    2012OKAN02
    YouTube
    AbstractAlgorithm

I've read it straight forward, and got 14.

anyway, I think bld cubers don't have to be aces at this game, because bld solvers (yeah, that's us), we remember letters, words, symbols that are used so many times, common phrases, almost the same words that we use every time we practice bld solving. that's why this is also new to us as is for every person out there. also, some people are more accurate with sound/image/number list than word list. if you could do a massive research and conduct the experiment with 50-100 persons that don't do bld, and the same number of bld solvers, that would give you results that are legit. like this, it is just a game of memory.

speaking of photographic memory, my buddy has it, and he can memorize cube and solve it in 4mins with Fridrich. memo takes up to 2mins. So yeah... you get a conclusion. :fp
    Last edited by AbstractAlg; 02-13-2012 at 04:28 AM.
    3BLD: slowly getting fast 4BLD: 6:27 [2:55]
    3x3: 7.99 [single] 11.79 [ao5]

WCA Profile
    2003POCH01
    YouTube
    StefanPochmann

Quote Originally Posted by AbstractAlg View Post
    speaking of photographic memory, my buddy has it, and he can memorize cube and solve it in 4mins with Fridrich. memo takes up to 2mins. So yeah... you get a conclusion. :fp
    I do, but it's probably not what you think.

WCA Profile
    2011MERT03
    YouTube
    Ickathu

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
    I do, but it's probably not what you think.
    What does that mean?
    Choose your method.
    "If you get on a see-saw, be prepared to go up and down." ~Alex Mertz

A friend of mine has a memory that is unlike anything I have ever encountered, he can read back the page of any book he reads word by word and he can recite the words from any point and backwards as well. He is the only person I have come across who has that ability and he cannot explain how he does it. Yet, he says he does not have "photographic/eidetic" memory.

I think everyone has a memory where you can see an image or "experience" in great detail. The problem with "photographic memory" and BLD cubing would be the tracing. As soon as a move is made the mental image of the cube needs to be adjusted hence, I do not believe it would work for BLD where the paths of movement come into play. (I am starting to learn BLD so by no means am I an expert) I think the people who are world-class at BLD can create the Edge/Corner paths and commit them to memory very quickly and execute the solve with precision. That being said, I think people who can solve the big cubes are blessed with great memory even though they use a system to store the information. The fact that they are able to recall and execute is IMO extremely impressive.

Going back to memory, I think emotion has a lot to do with it. When I was in college I could recall pages of my Calculus examples so during tests, I was able to re-write some examples to help me on some tests. However, it seems that any time I am able to see an image with great detail that some emotion was tied to it. I cannot simply look at something random and recall everything in great detail however, there are times where some emotion causes me to create an image and recall with great detail. I think EVERYONE has this ability and could probably recount something similar to this. Personally, I do not believe I have any form or "photographic/eidetic" memory simply because at times I can recall words/images/etc...with great detail. I think it has more to do with my brain being focused on committing something to memory which is triggered by an emotional response to something.

Whether or not photographic or eidetic memory exists is beyond anything I know however, I think everyone has a certain degree of photographic/eidetic memory which is tied to some event/emotion which causes our brain to recall something in great detail. The people who can recall images in great detail such has the artist who was flown over New York city and was able to draw the city from memory is using some portion of the brain that most of us have yet to unlock. However, I would venture to say that having the ability to draw the image is where the true gift lies since most of us could recall and image and not draw it.

Link to the artist: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ne-memory.html
    Last edited by chris410; 02-13-2012 at 11:23 AM.
    -Chris

WCA Profile
    2010HARD02

Two of the six people in this article have "powers' that deal with memory. Both are autistic.

http://www.cracked.com/article_19661...perpowers.html
    Christian Cuber

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Major View Post
    Read through them once, quickly, wait a minute, then recall them. Post your results in a spoiler (all words) and how you got it (any method). Just curious as the class ranged from 12-24 correct with varying results.
    Spoiler:

Cucumber
    Book
    Accordion
    Fish
    Mango
    Phone
    Kitten
    Xylophone
    Dog
    Soccer Ball
    Tusk
    Apple
    [MISS] Cup
    Guitar
    Pencil Case
    Clock
    Pen lid
    [MISS] Lemon
    [MISS] Sloth
    [MISS] Syringe
    [MISS] Sphere
    [MISS] Box
    Table
    Bird

How I got it

Spoiler:

This is a technique that I use to remember lists (but not for BLD). You basically chain the images together, so you get 2 "shots" at it.
    A cucumber pierces a book.
    A book is played like an accordion.
    An accordion is played by a fish
    A fish is eating a mango
    A novelty telephone is shaped like a mango etc.

I hurried at the end (I'm actually in a training seminar right now), but I should have counted the number of items and realised I was missing a chunk or 5 or 6. If I'd remembered any of them, I'd have likely gotten 2-3 more.

Also, who in the class said "cucumber"? Pervert!
    I was practicing BLD and decided to go down to the corner shop and I forgot I had still had my blindfold on top of my head. I don't give a *****.

Platinum Member
    WCA Profile
    2010MAJO01

Quote Originally Posted by toastman View Post
    Spoiler:

Cucumber
    Book
    Accordion
    Fish
    Mango
    Phone
    Kitten
    Xylophone
    Dog
    Soccer Ball
    Tusk
    Apple
    [MISS] Cup
    Guitar
    Pencil Case
    Clock
    Pen lid
    [MISS] Lemon
    [MISS] Sloth
    [MISS] Syringe
    [MISS] Sphere
    [MISS] Box
    Table
    Bird

How I got it

Spoiler:

This is a technique that I use to remember lists (but not for BLD). You basically chain the images together, so you get 2 "shots" at it.
    A cucumber pierces a book.
    A book is played like an accordion.
    An accordion is played by a fish
    A fish is eating a mango
    A novelty telephone is shaped like a mango etc.

I hurried at the end (I'm actually in a training seminar right now), but I should have counted the number of items and realised I was missing a chunk or 5 or 6. If I'd remembered any of them, I'd have likely gotten 2-3 more.
    I'm surprised you missed the one starting with sy, everyone in my class got it due to it's nature. We made a graph of the results and we could explain why some were highly memorable and some were low. The results made perfect sense.

Spoiler:
    cucumber, book
    accordian, fish
    mango, phone
    xylephone, kitten
    dog, soccer ball
    tusk, apple
    sloth, syringe
    sphere, cube
    table, bird
    guitar, cup
    pencil case, clock
    lemon , pen cap

Memo sub 1 minute..

No particular order however I probably could put them in order just too lazy.

My personal favorite was...
    Spoiler:
    xylephone kitten, I imagined a xylephone and I was playing it with kittens, blood was everywhere

On this topic I took an aptitude test a while ago that determined "memory"

they made you look at a white frame that has ~30 or so objects in it for about 5 minutes.

they then turn the page and you tell them what change, It could be anything from the rulers numbers chaning to the pencil turning 45% or them replacing a cucumber with a rod. they had like 50 or so pages that they turned. I actually thought I did quite bad since I got ~5-10 wrong (seemed easy enough)

I scored in the 95% of everyone that got tested there (Quite a large number of people from an institute that has been open for 20 years or something)
    Last edited by Cool Frog; 02-13-2012 at 09:55 PM.
    [01:44] <+aronpm> CPdragon: here have the rest of my bld power.... abracadabra *waves arms about*