• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Speedcubing "Utility"

AbstractAlg

WCA
2012OKAN02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Do only edges, and only corners scrambles. That's the most useful thing for BLD.

Btw, is that C#? :D
Database filled with OldDB?

Also, listBox, when selecting time from the right one, why isn't the instant selection on the left? It's just item index?

When checked "Blindfold" checkBox, do not allow inspection.

Don't use setup.exe type of export, just zip .exe i necessary app data, or provide fully functional installer (there are some avaliable for free download).

For the nice look you may use HTMLayout (but that comes for the final-touches), because C# is not very very good with graphics, and if you tend to provide 3D scramble image like Puzzle Timer or so, than it would become very tricky.

Final note: nice program. keep with good work, I expect further improvements with excitement. ;)

FoxWolf

YouTube
Visit Channel
Its fridayyyyyyyy! Update today?

I think some 'new' code is up there now, this update is gonna have to be delayed since, university courses trump this :p

I have some new scrambles in the testing code, so hopefully it will all be up soon.

I'll upload what I have tonight as well... Source code is in the zip, but password-locked. pm me for the password.

Felix Jen

I love your timer!!
its quite useful other
but can your possibly set the 3x3 as the default cube in the cube column
i hate having a rlly great time but then realize its in the wrong column!

FoxWolf

YouTube
Visit Channel
I love your timer!!
its quite useful other
but can your possibly set the 3x3 as the default cube in the cube column
i hate having a rlly great time but then realize its in the wrong column!

This will be in a properties menu (hopefully in the next update), but this requires a little bit of overhaul in how the code currently functions.

------------

Hey everyone! Sorry for the absence of output. Had to finish up some more university work!

I have a few more assignments and what-not to go, then my focus will be on this program.

I deem the actual timer, directly completed. Minus adding a few more scrambles. More scrambles may become available for time, but I feel minx, SQ1, and NxNxN cubes are all that is important at this time. But, I do plan on adding some scrambles for other puzzles (as I said earlier) where it is reasonably possible.

-----------------------------------

Algorithms will be my next big project, since this will take a large amount of time to add (most) algorithms, with images. For the first set, I hope to do the following:

F2L, OLL (2-step, and 1-step), PLL(2-step and 1-step), ELL, CLL

Plus, I have come to an interest in actually adding guides to the other methods. (I'm not sure why I wish to do this, but I'll think about it in future updates). Putting it here now so I don't forget.

Obviously in a lot of cases not all 'algorithms' can be covered, such as commutators, and things similar to this. Where there is a limited, but very large amount of 'algorithms' that can be performed to provicde many tasks. Likewise, these are better to fully understand then be given standard algorithms for.

In the same sense there could be guides on some of these methods (X-Cross, Commutators, ...?)

----------

So, now is a time I can release what you guys can help me with!

* Scrambles!, C# code must return a String of the scramble such as "R U D F' U2 ..." [Megaminx, Gigaminx, ...?]
* If you wish to help with the algorithms, please contact me in PM with which set you could do. I'll give you a format I require so that I can quickly parse them into the program.
* More coming soon :)

Last edited:

FoxWolf

YouTube
Visit Channel
Update!

Hey everyone! I'm sorry for such the delay. But you know, university, work, and all that NONSENSE! Real life stuff always gets into the way.

The project has begun again, and although there is no *gigantic* update to the program, some new ideas have been partially implemented!

These are ~ Cube-specific "Goals" [i.e: Aiming for sub-15 on 3x3x3? Then set your goal for 15 seconds.] - Dialog is implemented, but the actual goal difference is not yet implemented.
and ~ image properties has been added, I think all the properties are there, however, there are no actual functioning code in here. Just blank, dead, buttons...
and also ~ Algorithms tab has been started, just some testing for me in here at this time. No actual functions.
and finally ~ Graphs/Comparisons tab has been added (nothing here yet).

Also fixed:

1. Can generate scrambles close to... X Y X' Y' X Y X' Y' (Where X and Y are inaffected by each other) For example... R L R' L' R L R' L' *FIXED*

Now I have a few questions for whoever is interested, and I'll get you a link in a few minutes in this same post! which will be right

>>>> http://gleg.biz/files/speedcube utility.zip <<<< (CHANGES MADE: April 28th 6:20PM EST)

Also, for anyone interested, the below version comes with a 3D Rubik's Cube simulator I made with Open GL and numerous fun alterations :) There are a lot of controls for it, but I bet you smart people can figure them out... Here are some interesting ones:

C (Culling On/Off)
_ (Wire frame On/Off)
Q, W, E, R alter the size of the cubies, stickers, distances, etc.)
A, S, D (Choose layer)
F (Rotate [Only one direction]
T (Increase nxnxn) t (decrease nxnxn)
Y (change rotation speed)
" " (SPACE) (Change from cube rotation to lighting rotation)

--- There are unlikely to ever be any updates to the 3D cube program, I was just bored and made it =)

>>>>> http://gleg.biz/files/speedcube utility with 3D cube.zip <<<<<
So, question: in the "Algorithms" tab, would you like to see "Cube patterns" (Snake, Python, Anaconda, Checkerboard, Flower, Chickens Feet, cube in a cube...) for every cube type? So that other people can keep track of their patterns?

Something else that I have thought about here is allowing for a user to upload a "algorithms" folder (zip) that can be given to the program and will install all the algorithms (and possibly new images, etc.) whatever is needed. I am *TRYING* to make this part of the program as CUSTOMIZABLE as I can imagine. So, each set of algorithms for let's say (T OLL) can have not only numerous different algorithms associated with it, but numerous photos as well. This will allow the user to alter the prefferred image (by some nice dialog), as well as the preferred algorithm (once again by a nice dialog). In addition to that, I would like to allow for some way to select a set of these (Let's say allow the user to select 20 OLLs they are practicing, and click "Practice") which will take them back to the Timer, but instead of the "Scramble" the preferred OLL image appears, and the person has to solve it and stop the timer. Then there will be some intermission, and the thing will go again.

Secondly, about the goal. Now if lets say you aren't at your goal yet I'm questioning how I should display this.

* Red Text "+(amount to goal)"
* Red Text "-(amount to goal)"

and if you past your goal

* Green Text "-(amount to goal)"
* Green Text "+(amount to goal)"

I'm leaning more on + when above, and - when below! But if anyone has any complaints about that feel free to comment.

In addition to that the "goal" will allow the user to what part they wish to achieve it with "Overall average, average 10 of 12, 12, 3 of 5, 5, etc."

--- Sorry this has been such a long post!
--- Sorry that it has taken so long as well!
--- Sorry for some of the silly grammatical errors, I'm not entirely sober :)

anyway, I am back on it until more life-wild things come up! But I have 4 months of summer =)

Edit:

Bug found right off the bat!

* Buttons not resetting focus (Set Goal, etc.) *FIXED* 6:20 PM EST

Once used just click on the times for now before running the timer... This will be fixed tonight =)

Last edited:

ThomasJE

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
This seems like a nice timer; the only problem is that I can't download the .NET framework. If you could make a version without the framework, that would be really good.

WCA
2012CHIE01
I've downloaded this timer, and it's definitely very nice. However, could you add scrambles for pyraminx, megaminx, and square-1? That'd be great! I can't wait until some algorithms are added.

FoxWolf

YouTube
Visit Channel
This seems like a nice timer; the only problem is that I can't download the .NET framework. If you could make a version without the framework, that would be really good.

I might do this in the future. However, I want to get the full functioning code before I make it without the framework, as this will require an overhaul of most of the code and the GUI.

I've downloaded this timer, and it's definitely very nice. However, could you add scrambles for pyraminx, megaminx, and square-1? That'd be great! I can't wait until some algorithms are added.

Yeah! They will be there.

Right now I'm working (painfully) on the Algorithms system, it's partially functioning at this time but there are some serious issues with it. Plus it's quite a large directory of input, and building all these files may become slow. I want to better complete, test, and change this code so that it works better for the users.

To give a small insight, the main problems right now are adding new algorithm images, algorithms, and even changing them. This is becoming a main problem in recognizing what algorithms the user prefers while still allowing the user to select and choose different algorithms if he chooses.

Furthermore a mass addition function is needed to make the code much quicker since, lets say for adding OLL, no one wants to hand add 52 images and numerous algorithms per image. Although to have the mass-add function, someone will need to do this. But the mass add will make it easier for other people by allowing the user to send a zip (or some other formatted file) and allowing the program to receive that directory and set it all up.

- Lobie

ThomasJE

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Furthermore a mass addition function is needed to make the code much quicker since, lets say for adding OLL, no one wants to hand add 52 images and numerous algorithms per image. Although to have the mass-add function, someone will need to do this. But the mass add will make it easier for other people by allowing the user to send a zip (or some other formatted file) and allowing the program to receive that directory and set it all up.

Couldn't you allow the user to upload their own images/algorithms?