• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

New 3x3x3 Method

D

Deleted member 15503

Hi
I've been working on a new 3x3x3 method for a while, and I have made some documentation for it: [dead link]
feel free to share your opinion on this, and also, what is the best way to generate algorithms? Most algs on the webpage above are generated with cube explorer, but they aren't very fingertrick friendly.. any tips? thanks :)

Last edited by a moderator:

mariano.aquino

Premium Member
WCA
2011AQUI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
it's incredible. I pretty sure belt method is the one method with the largest number of authors all around the world (I include myself, I discovered it after learning how to solve sq1 ...^^). We are all happy to have discovered something new, only to find we're just another lamb in the field =P

Sillas

YouTube
Visit Channel
"I created it because ever since I could solve the cube, people told me that it was easy because I learned the solution (Friedrich) from the internet. I wanted a fresh approach on the cube, not starting with F2L like a lot of methods."

You must be feeling accomplished. Good job! What's your PB with this method?

Eleredo

it's incredible. I pretty sure belt method is the one method with the largest number of authors all around the world (I include myself, I discovered it after learning how to solve sq1 ...^^). We are all happy to have discovered something new, only to find we're just another lamb in the field =P

Hahaha, exactly. :D I thought about making a guide for it too when I discovered it, but then I was like; this looks way too easy, someone probably already found this and posted a guide on Speedsolving.com, and I'm too lazy to search the forums to see if that was true so I ended up not posting it at all.

Now I'm glad I didn't! I do some things differently though, such as the parity. I solve the parity with the same algorithm I use for 4x4x4 parity.

anyway, I like to show this method if some annoying person asks me to teach them to solve the cube. Their brains explode and they no longer want to learn how to cube. :p

Last edited:

CUB3R01

I have solved the cube like this a few times before I saw this thread... now I know I'm not special xD

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
what is the best way to generate algorithms? Most algs on the webpage above are generated with cube explorer
Cube Explorer is fine, but you need to know the trick: leave one piece grey, and then it will generate ALL algs for your position, starting from the ones with the fewest moves. So then you have plenty of things to check until you find a good one. You can also use ACube or ksolve, which will do more or less the same thing, but they are a little harder to use.

but they aren't very fingertrick friendly
You are unlikely to find fingertrick-friendly algs that permute the top and the bottom of the cube at once. Sorry.

cubernya

Premium Member
Michael, how do you make it so it will generate orientation algs? I can never seem to get it to work, as it says it's incomplete (I only have a single color filled in on an edge)

teller

REAL Fingertricks!
WCA
2010COAT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Michael, how do you make it so it will generate orientation algs? I can never seem to get it to work, as it says it's incomplete (I only have a single color filled in on an edge)

You have to hold down the CTRL key while filling in the U color, and make it look something like this:
sample.gif

Hodari

If you think about it though, it probably makes sense that this would be a popular one. If you want to start creating a new method, the logical place to do so would be by looking at existing methods and looking at what the easiest and hardest parts of it are. Since most people use Fridrich, that would be the method they will look at trying to improve on. I think it would be fair to say that for most people, the easiest parts are PLL and OLL. Lot of algorithms to learn but once you do know them, you can do this step very quickly and without much thought and there are 2-look versions which are still decently fast. The cross isn't too hard either though mostly because it is preplanned during inspection. For most people though, F2L is the hardest part and the one which takes the most time.

So it makes sense that someone looking to create a new method would think that something which eliminates F2L and possibly the cross as well and relies more on OLL and PLL might be a good idea. To do this though, you need to solve the middle layer first, then separate the remaining pieces into their respective layers. Then orient and permute both layers. Unfortunately, this sounds good but doesn't actually work especially well since you run into problems like 1 edge incorrectly flipped on each layer or 2 twisted corners. Fixing all these requires too many steps and it ends up being too slow. So people might try playing around with what order all the steps are done in hoping to find some way to avoid these issues, leading to a number of different variations on belt methods.

And of course, the second reason that belt methods are so popular to invent is...while they sound good in theory, none of them really do work that well(at least none so far). They end up being good for when you just want to try something different, but not fast enough to actually be useful for speedsolving. So they remain obscure enough that a lot of people won't have heard of them until AFTER they go through the "trying to invent a new method" phase.