• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Why people don't use the search function

coldplay

YouTube
Visit Channel
Okay, so I have less than 100 posts on this forum, which would kind of make me a noob to say this. But I've lurked a lot and I've started to notice a pattern.

Whenever a member, mod, or admin tells somebody to use the search function instead of creating a thread that's already been created, there's a reason why people still do it.

They get reprimanded for bumping an old thread.

I've seen people post on a thread over a year old, and invariably somebody will tell them they bumped an old thread. Now obviously, this implies that bumping old threads is annoying, impolite, and shouldn't be done.

So, with this logic, people can't post on old threads that they have searched for, and then they also can't create new threads because they shouldn't keep the onslaught of threads going?

What's the solution? Currently, I believe the only solution is for people not to get annoyed at people bumping old threads. I personally don't see anything wrong with it, and if somebody does see a problem with it, feel free to post your thoughts below.

asportking

YouTube
Visit Channel
The main reason of the search function is to quietly find the answers to something, not necessarily to find old threads and bump them. Also, the only time people are reprimanded for bumping old threads are when they bump it for no particular reason. If they have good information to add, then that's all right.

Escher

Babby
WCA
2008KINN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The problem lies with any user posting in response to any of these 'problems' in an unfriendly or unhelpful way (as is a favourite of Speedsolving). If they're such a big deal, people should report them, and a moderator will respond appropriately. In my eyes 'appropriately' means ignoring them, 95% of the time.

Sa967St

Not A Moderator
WCA
2007STRO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Bumping is generally acceptable when someone has something constructive to add to the thread. It's when someone bumps a thread by posting something not worth anything (and usually not realizing the date of the previous post), that the post will be deleted, as well as the following replies.

If you see someone scolding someone else for bumping a thread, report it. If the bump was acceptable it'll be left (and replies mentioning the bump will be deleted). If the bump was useless, the bump post and the posts after will be deleted. Also, regarding duplicate threads in which the OP didn't want to bump an old thread of the same topic, they'll likely be merged if the new thread adds something or continues the discussion from the old thread in a good way.

Last edited:

coldplay

YouTube
Visit Channel
Interesting replies. However, I have noted sometimes even constructive replies are deemed worthless and annoying. Now, note that I said sometimes. Not always, but sometimes.

Sillas

YouTube
Visit Channel
The problem is create threads with ridiculous questions (like: How I train F2L's? ) of which already exist for this thread (The one question thread and much others).Personally, when I create threads I see (before) if there is equal or something like in the wiki.

Bapao

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Many new members initially just post random threads to get attention by doing so.
You'll notice a trend there too. An intro thread isn't always enough for some and they'd rather just get into the fray without the obligation of knowing the rules.

The mods are doing an amazing job and I wouldn't want to be in their shoes. A lot of my posts get deleted and rightly so.

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So, with this logic, people can't post on old threads that they have searched for, and then they also can't create new threads because they shouldn't keep the onslaught of threads going?
I think the idea is that if someone just wants a basic question answered, and they find the answer, then there's no need for them to post at all. Of course, if they have something new and useful to add, then bumping an old thread and posting a new one are often both acceptable.

JLarsen

Premium Member
WCA
2009LARS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think that not using the search function isn't a product of social awareness but a complete lack of effort on their part. It's not because they think that bumping an old thread, or posting a new one is bad, or any other kind of conscious thought process. It's just a way to get an answer with little effort or an urge to interact with the community. (Most of the time)

coldplay

YouTube
Visit Channel
I think that not using the search function isn't a product of social awareness but a complete lack of effort on their part. It's not because they think that bumping an old thread, or posting a new one is bad, or any other kind of conscious thought process. It's just a way to get an answer with little effort or an urge to interact with the community. (Most of the time)

This.

How do we stop it? I think we've emphasized it to a point where we just can't do much more to stop it.

It's written in the forum rules.

USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION.

People say it over and over again.

USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION.

And people still don't.

USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION.