• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Embedded YouTube videos not appearing on iPad

ZincK_NOVA

WCA
2011OCON01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Before I say anything I'd like to emphasise that I have never touched an iPad however, I think the problem lies in that they don't have flash player (by default at least). I may be wrong but, you could try searching for a way to install flash player on it. I've heard it is now possible (my friend has an iPhone, apparently that can play flash now. I'd assume the same for the iPad).

masterofthebass

Premium Member
WCA
2007COHE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Before I say anything I'd like to emphasise that I have never touched an iPad however, I think the problem lies in that they don't have flash player (by default at least). I may be wrong but, you could try searching for a way to install flash player on it. I've heard it is now possible (my friend has an iPhone, apparently that can play flash now. I'd assume the same for the iPad).

This is categorically wrong. Please don't pull stuff out of your ass.

For some reason the [video] tag in the latest VB version doesn't work for iPad embedding. The old style [youtube] tag we had on this forum works, but it is way more convenient to use the new built-in functionality. I'm not sure what we can do about it, other than petitioning vBulletin or seeing if they have already fixed it in some version.

Noahaha

blindmod
WCA
2012ARTH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have the same problem. I just take the link and manually add it to the end of the generic youtube video url. Just to clarify, I experience this in the tapatalk app, which needs an update to fix this.

masterofthebass

Premium Member
WCA
2007COHE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
As I said, I have never touched an iPad, therefore my ability to troubleshoot is somewhat limited. I did state that I may be wrong and that it was only a thought. I apologise for trying to help.
Could you please elaborate on what you mean by "categorically wrong"?

Your entire assumption was false. If you don't know the answer to a question, it would be best if you just refrained from posting instead of spouting false information. It would make threads a much easier place to find correct responses.

Tim Major

Platinum Member
WCA
2010MAJO01

For some reason the [video] tag in the latest VB version doesn't work for iPad embedding. The old style [youtube] tag we had on this forum works, but it is way more convenient to use the new built-in functionality. I'm not sure what we can do about it, other than petitioning vBulletin or seeing if they have already fixed it in some version.

I guess that explains my problem. Sometimes I can see embedded videos ([youtube]) and sometimes it says "YouTube Video" with a dead link ([video]).

This is on my Android phone however.

cubernya

Premium Member
I guess that explains my problem. Sometimes I can see embedded videos ([youtube]) and sometimes it says "YouTube Video" with a dead link ([video]).

This is on my Android phone however.

^ This is what happens to me as well (although normally it just doesn't show anything)

However, I believe that people should start posting a hard link to the video under the embedded version, so that people on mobile can view it on their youtube app.

Mal

YouTube
Visit Channel
^ This is what happens to me as well (although normally it just doesn't show anything)

However, I believe that people should start posting a hard link to the video under the embedded version, so that people on mobile can view it on their youtube app.

I agree because I can see hardly any of the videos people post.

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel

That was harsh. The guy made an educated guess and warned that it was just that: a guess and not a fact. If that is "what he pulls out of his ass" I am sure his farts smell nice as well

If new (video) doesn't work and old (youtube) DOES work the conclusion is simple: OLD > New. Is it possible to get the old functionality back (automatically) while we wait for VB to fix this?

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
When you say "latest VB version", do you mean since I've upgraded the forum? We aren't running the latest VB for various reasons atm. When you say "old style [youtube] tag", do you mean before the upgrade? I'm a bit confused.

I think I can get this to work without having to do an upgrade of vB. Since I don't have an iPad, can you tell me exactly what the issue is? [youtube] tags don't show up when browsing? Is it just a blank space? If I had to guess, this issue would have to do with how the mobile web browser is rendering the page, but I'm unsure. I should be able to find a fix once I know more about the issue.

ZincK_NOVA

WCA
2011OCON01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Kinda had limited information to go on, since the post didn't specify that this only occurred on this site. It is the equivalent of a student asking their teacher why they got the wrong answer, without showing working or specifying what that answer was, just that it wasn't right. Apparently my mistake has insulted you, would you like me to remove it?

CoryThigpen

Premium Member
WCA
2011THIG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Oh my goodness. This isn't a pissing contest. All Dan is saying is if you don't know about iPads, then don't give advice about iPads.

I don't know all about code, etc, so I didn't go into detail other than the embedded videos don't appear on my iPad. I usually see something like, "Hey look at me solving while riding a horse"... and then nothing below it to click or view.

ZincK_NOVA

WCA
2011OCON01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thanks for the support, it is very much appreciated. :)
I wouldn't go as far as to say Old > New however, for compatibility purposes, this seems to be the case. I would've hoped that new stuff would be backwards compatible to an extent (after having to make all of my HTML IE6 friendly, for my IT project. That was tiresome).

masterofthebass

Premium Member
WCA
2007COHE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
When you say "latest VB version", do you mean since I've upgraded the forum? We aren't running the latest VB for various reasons atm. When you say "old style [youtube] tag", do you mean before the upgrade? I'm a bit confused.

I think I can get this to work without having to do an upgrade of vB. Since I don't have an iPad, can you tell me exactly what the issue is? [youtube] tags don't show up when browsing? Is it just a blank space? If I had to guess, this issue would have to do with how the mobile web browser is rendering the page, but I'm unsure. I should be able to find a fix once I know more about the issue.

Whatever html the vB [video] tag produces doesn't show up on mobile browsers. This tag is used when someone clicks on the video icon in the advanced editor, which seems like the most common way people are embedding videos nowadays. Before the upgrade to vB4, we had to have out own tag for embedding, i.e. the [youtube] and [youtubehd] tags. The html created by those show up fine on mobile browsers. I'm not sure if vB has fixed the issue in later version of the software, but unless you can change the behavior of the [video] tag, there's not much we can do about that.

Carson

Premium Member
WCA
2008PENT01
Can someone who is having this issue verify that they have the latest version of IOS? Based on some brief googling, it appears that this is a common problem across VB boards, but some iphones/tablets are not affected.

FYI, it works fine under android with the default browser, Dolphin HD, and Firefox. I'm curious whether this is affecting mobile devices other than Apple.