• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

PowerSurge

9x9 Tutorial/Algs Help

Hey guys. My first post here, so excuse me if I've somehow put this in the wrong place or overlooked some previous thread about this topic.
anyway, I just received my 9x9 cube in the mail the other day. I have been searching for a tutorial or a list of the algs needed for the 9x9 and I can't seem to find one. If someone could link me to a vid or website that would be great.
(I do know how to solve the 2x2 through the 7x7 cubes, so know the general idea on how to solve it.)
Any info would be great! Thanks for the help.

Michael1026

How is this case possible?

On my 5x5x5, I was messing around with different patterns, and I ended up with two opposite center pieces switched. How is this possible when the centers are fixed? I haven't taken it apart...

Fawn

The floating center pieces on big cubes are swappable without ruining anything else. It's very easy to do, and just as easy to fix. I'd give some sort of alg, but I just know it by intuition :/

uberCuber

WCA
2011THOM01
Any tips on how to look for pieces while edge pairing? I sometimes pause for up to 10 seconds looking for a edge thats RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME.

Mostly just practice and turning really really slowly. If you want to, you can do the four white edges first, followed by the four yellow edges in order to make lookahead easier. That way you are completely focusing on white (and then yellow) stickers, so there is less to look for. You can then gradually get better at taking advantage of easy non-white/yellow edges that appear in front of you. I will admit that I still tunnel vision the hell out of my edge pairing.

unsolved

There is a great page for 4x4x4 algos that is very easy to understand:

http://www.speedsolving.com/wiki/index.php/4x4x4_Parity_Algorithms

Is there an equivalent page for 5x5x5? I can solve everything except for the last layer. I am just trying to get to the point where I can solve it, then I will focus on speed later.

What would be nice would be some algos that move the wing edges on the last layer without disturbing the rest of the cube. Likewise for the middle edges. Here is where I am presently stuck:

A_01.jpg

A_02.jpg

A_03.jpg

A_04.jpg

I'd like to solve it one side at a time, moving the solved side to the left as I go along.

Anyone have algos for this? It would be most appreciated :)

Attachments

• A_01.jpg
    A_01.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited by a moderator:

Future Cuber

Wait......Your Edge pairing is incomplete...
You did you f3l without completing your edges...
so just destory your f3l and pair up these by use the flip algorithm,just like the 4x4.....you slice an inner layer flip the pieces and slice back
and then you might end up in a parity error ... use the same alg and solve that case and then solve like a 3x3
Hope this helped

You should be knowing the flip alg.....
R U R' Sledge hammer

G2013

WCA
2013DIPI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
There is a great page for 4x4x4 algos that is very easy to understand:

http://www.speedsolving.com/wiki/index.php/4x4x4_Par
I can't understand a page without text :D

(I advice you to perform the following algorithms backwards on a solved cube and see what they solve, because if you permorm them backwards is like doing a scramble that can be solved using the algorithm that you just did backwards)
Assuming you use K4 adapted to 5x5, solve the outer part of the edges like on 4x4 and the inner piece of each edge by using algs like (M is the most inner slice)
R' U R U' M' U R' U' R M = [R' U R U', M']
M' R' U' R U M U' R' U R = [M', R' U' R U]
E' R U R' F R' F' E F R F' R U' R' = [E', R U R' F R' F']
3 or 4 times.
Other useful algorithms:
d R U R' F R' F' d' F R F' R U' R' = [d, R U R' F R' F']
(M r') R' U' R U (r M') U' R' U R = [M r', R' U' R U]
R' U' R U (M r') U' R' U R (r M') = [R' U' R U, M r']
They are very similar.

uberCuber

WCA
2011THOM01
Wait......

Maybe he doesn't feel like using reduction?

@unsolved:
The K4 ELL page contains tons of examples for solving last-layer edges to use for guidance, but ideally that kind of stuff should mostly be done intuitively, using commutators. If you don't know how commutators work or how to come up with your own...I'm not sure where a good resource is to help you. In any case at least try to study how some of those K4 "algorithms" work, starting with those under the heading "3-cycles."

To clarify, [A, B] = A B A' B', and [A: B] = A B A'

EDIT: the algs I posted below assume " r = single slice " and " Rw = two-layer turn "

In the particular case you posted pictures for:
I'd first solve the red tredge by holding red in front and doing [r, R U R' U'] (this also results in all the blue edges being paired up)
Then I'd do M' U' M U2 M' U' M (where M is all 3 middle slices) to place the blue tredge in its spot while also solving the green and orange middle edges. (This is a 3-cycle alg from 3x3)
Then I'd rotate to put green on front and solve the green edge with [Rw' U2: [r2, U R U']]
And then that just leaves the orange edge to be solved with a pure OLL parity algorithm

guysensei1

WCA
2014WENW01

@unsolved:
The K4 ELL page contains tons of examples for solving last-layer edges to use for guidance, but ideally that kind of stuff should mostly be done intuitively, using commutators. If you don't know how commutators work or how to come up with your own...I'm not sure where a good resource is to help you. In any case at least try to study how some of those K4 "algorithms" work, starting with those under the heading "3-cycles."

To clarify, [A, B] = A B A' B', and [A: B] = A B A'

EDIT: the algs I posted below assume " r = single slice " and " Rw = two-layer turn "

In the particular case you posted pictures for:
I'd first solve the red tredge by holding red in front and doing [r, R U R' U'] (this also results in all the blue edges being paired up)
Then I'd do M' U' M U2 M' U' M (where M is all 3 middle slices) to place the blue tredge in its spot while also solving the green and orange middle edges. (This is a 3-cycle alg from 3x3)
Then I'd rotate to put green on front and solve the green edge with [Rw' U2: [r2, U R U']]
And then that just leaves the orange edge to be solved with a pure OLL parity algorithm

This was the last post for almost half a day...
That was such a long time...

guysensei1

WCA
2014WENW01
Could anyone who does yau5 for 6x6 (ahem ubercuber) kindly make a walkthrough solve video for the last 4 centers? I don't really understand how to efficiently do the centers while preserving the (partial) cross.

unsolved

True. I can only do what I know how to do now and try to extend it. I solve it one layer at a time.

@unsolved:

I can't make heads or tails of that page. The diagrams don't make sense to me. I have no idea what cubies are trying to be solved, there is no "before and after" and it is just not intuitive for someone at my level.

I did r R U R' U' r' R' U' R U and somehow this did not do the trick. I undid it and tried the other formulas and they only made things much worse, so my guess is I am not doing the inverse operation properly.

So which way is "M" and which way is M' when you move all 3 slices?

I guess that M was the moving of the top towards the front and M' was the front towards the top.

Last edited:

ryanj92

WCA
2012JONE03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I can't make heads or tails of that page. The diagrams don't make sense to me. I have no idea what cubies are trying to be solved, there is no "before and after" and it is just not intuitive for someone at my level.

I did r R U R' U' r' R' U' R U and somehow this did not do the trick. I undid it and tried the other formulas and they only made things much worse, so my guess is I am not doing the inverse operation properly.

So which way is "M" and which way is M' when you move all 3 slices?

I guess that M was the moving of the top towards the front and M' was the front towards the top.

When you are doing r, are you moving both the inner right slice and the outer right slice? I think r in this context at least means to turn the inner right slice only.

You are correct about M and M', but again, i think people sometimes use M to mean -just- the middle slice in this context.

(Do not worry about using and comprehending all of the algs from the K4 ell page. The sections labelled '3-cycles' and '2-cycles' are probably the most useful places to start. The edges of a 4x4x4 will correspond to the inner and outer wing edges on your 5x5x5. Hope this helps :) )

goodatthis

WCA
2014CAVA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
What are some approximate splits for these 7x7 times (preferably in F2C/L4C/F8E/L4E/3x3, I like specifics)
10:00
8:30
7:00

Also, if I average 10:00 on 7x7, what could be an approximate 9x9 time for me?

Last edited:

ChickenWrap

YouTube
Visit Channel
What are some approximate splits for these 7x7 times (preferably in F2C/L4C/F8E/L4E/3x3, I like specifics)
10:00
8:30
7:00

I'll just do 10 and 7....go ahead and guess something in between for 8:30.

For 10: 1:30/4:00/2:30/1:00/:50 is about 9:50

For 7: 1:15/2:15/2:00/:45/:45 is about 7 minutes.

I currently average 5 and my splits are 1/1:15/1:30/:30/:30