Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Should beginners use "beginner" cubes?

  1. #1
    Premium Member Bapao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Uranus...
    YouTube
    bapao76
    Posts
    1,162

    Default Should beginners use "beginner" cubes?

    Greetings,

    I realize that this topic has been discussed numerous times in the past, but I would like to see a discussion on the matter held in a low noise environment. IMO, previous threads led to battles of personal belief as opposed to leading to a possible conclusion.

    My main concerns are health related. The store bought Rubiks brand 3x3x3 that I used for the first few months of my cubing endeavors almost put a halt to them altogether. I was suffering from serious pain and discomfort that made me contemplate giving up my newly found hobby.

    For my part, I would like to see the following points discussed:

    - Is it easier for an experienced cuber to get accustomed to "fast" cubes?

    - Does using a stiff/locky cube help beginners learn turning accuracy?

    - Does using a "fast" cube as a beginning cuber promote bad cubing habits?

    Please share your opinions.

    Regards,

    Holger.
    Last edited by Bapao; 01-12-2012 at 02:11 PM.
    @Bapao: "Tu étais déjà pardonné". Gaétan Guimond.

  2. #2
    Premium Member Muesli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sheffield, UK
    WCA Profile
    2009SMIT05
    YouTube
    musli4brekkies
    Posts
    1,713

    Default

    Define "Beginner cube".
    My team sucks.

  3. #3
    Member Rpotts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Topikachu, KS
    WCA Profile
    2010POTT01
    YouTube
    rpotts1
    Posts
    1,782

    Default

    No, I would argue that a cuber should use a good cube as soon as possible, there's no reason to build bad habits of wrist turning and hard/forceful turning on a Rubik's brand before switching to a good cube. That doesn't mean that the best cube for a beginner is a Zhanchi, but it very well may be. Some beginner's may get better times with slightly slower cubes since they may be a little easier to control/not pop (such as the FII or A3f or Guhong perhaps.) That being said, I'd advocate getting an excellent cube sooner, rather than later. Might as well get used to them now, rather than spending months perfecting your turning on a cube that you will eventually "out-grow" or want to trade up from.
    3x3|CFOP| Single 7.98 | 8.80 | Avg5 10.47 | Avg12 11.82 | BLD | M2/OP | 1:51.71
    2x2|CLL| Avg12 3.73 |

  4. #4
    Premium Member Bapao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Uranus...
    YouTube
    bapao76
    Posts
    1,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Muesli View Post
    Define "Beginner cube".
    The store bought Rubiks brand comes to mind, but the term is hard to pin down. I've often read members post that any cube that isn't considered to be one the best cubes at the time (lets call them inferior due to popular belief) are deemed "beginner cubes".
    @Bapao: "Tu étais déjà pardonné". Gaétan Guimond.

  5. #5
    Premium Member Muesli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sheffield, UK
    WCA Profile
    2009SMIT05
    YouTube
    musli4brekkies
    Posts
    1,713

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bapao View Post
    The store bought Rubiks brand comes to mind, but the term is hard to pin down. I've often read members post that any cube that isn't considered to be one the best cubes at the time (lets call them inferior due to popular belief) are deemed "beginner cubes".
    Then the term is ill-defined and I don't think we should use it. I'd prefer we use "Worse cubes", and in which case I definitely disagree.
    Last edited by Muesli; 01-12-2012 at 01:28 PM.
    My team sucks.

  6. #6
    Premium Member Bapao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Uranus...
    YouTube
    bapao76
    Posts
    1,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Muesli View Post
    Then the term is ill-defined and I don't think we should use it. I'd prefer we use "Worse cubes", and in which case I definitely disagree.
    I agree. What are your thoughts on the phrase/term "fast cube"?
    Last edited by Bapao; 01-12-2012 at 02:29 PM.
    @Bapao: "Tu étais déjà pardonné". Gaétan Guimond.

  7. #7
    Premium Member Muesli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sheffield, UK
    WCA Profile
    2009SMIT05
    YouTube
    musli4brekkies
    Posts
    1,713

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bapao View Post
    I agree. What are your thoughts on the phrase/term "fast cube"?
    Subjective. Some people prefer smoother cubes, some people prefer crispy cubes. Who's to say which is faster?
    My team sucks.

  8. #8
    Colourful Kirjava's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    WCA Profile
    2006BARL01
    YouTube
    snkenjoi
    Posts
    6,007

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Muesli View Post
    Subjective. Some people prefer smoother cubes, some people prefer crispy cubes. Who's to say which is faster?
    Let us use general consensus and stop being pedantic.

    Dayan Guhong > Rubik's Brand

    'fast cube' is not a term that requires a strict definition.

  9. #9
    Colourful Kirjava's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    WCA Profile
    2006BARL01
    YouTube
    snkenjoi
    Posts
    6,007

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bapao View Post
    - Is it easier for an experienced cuber to get accustomed to "fast" cubes?
    Probably not. It's likely easier to switch when you're slower as you're not extremely accustomed to a specific cube after thousands of solves.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bapao View Post
    - Does using a stiff/locky cube help beginners learn turning accuracy?
    Probably not. It will just taint their turning style negatively.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bapao View Post
    - Does using a "fast" cube as a beginning cuber promote bad cubing habits?
    No. Opposite is true. It's even in this site's FAQ

  10. #10
    Premium Member Muesli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sheffield, UK
    WCA Profile
    2009SMIT05
    YouTube
    musli4brekkies
    Posts
    1,713

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirjava View Post
    Let us use general consensus and stop being pedantic.

    Dayan Guhong > Rubik's Brand

    'fast cube' is not a term that requires a strict definition.
    I was going to put that in my original post anyway, but shmeh.
    My team sucks.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •