• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Proposal: Review Forum

Should we have a 'Reviews section in the forum or not?

• Yes

Votes: 33 97.1%
  • No

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters

ThomasJE

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
There are many reviews about various cubes around, but there is no specific place to put them. Some may put them in the Speedcubing Help/Questions area, some in the General Puzzle Discussion area, and some in the Hardware Area. So I propose either:
1) A new forum area called 'Reviews Area' or something simular,
2) A new sub-forum in the Hardware Area, called 'Reviews' or something simular.

And I know of a thread that proposes the same thing, but that is quite outdated (about 3 years), and I wanted to re-propose the same idea. I think it will help people who want to look at others opinions on a cube, or ask for others opinions on a cube. I will be open to any questions.

cubernya

Premium Member
This actually does make a lot of sense, and it a great idea. I think putting it in the "Resources" category would make a lot of sense. This way it's not even a subforum, so people can see it right on the main forum page.

asportking

YouTube
Visit Channel
Why don't we put it on the wiki? If anyone wants to add their review, they can just edit the page and put theirs on it. I mean, we don't really need an entire thread for every single review.

jrb

WCA
2011BROW01
I think it's a really good idea. Probably putting it in the Resources category would be a good idea(like theZcuber suggested).

Carson

Premium Member
WCA
2008PENT01
There are many reviews about various cubes around, but there is no specific place to put them. Some may put them in the Speedcubing Help/Questions area, some in the General Puzzle Discussion area, and some in the Hardware Area. So I propose either:
1) A new forum area called 'Reviews Area' or something simular,
2) A new sub-forum in the Hardware Area, called 'Reviews' or something simular.

And I know of a thread that proposes the same thing, but that is quite outdated (about 3 years), and I wanted to re-propose the same idea. I think it will help people who want to look at others opinions on a cube, or ask for others opinions on a cube. I will be open to any questions.

I love this idea.

Why don't we put it on the wiki? If anyone wants to add their review, they can just edit the page and put theirs on it. I mean, we don't really need an entire thread for every single review.

Although I see the logic in putting it in the wiki, people would really only see it if they specifically checked to see if it existed. Also, I think the wiki should be reserved for more "factual" things instead of opinion. Just my opinion though...

jskyler91

YouTube
Visit Channel
I also think this is a good idea and I agree with theZcuber in that we should put it in resources as reviews are, IMO, a major resource to anyone looking to buy a new cube related product.

Me

WCA
2006WRIG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Sounds birlliant, however I see one clarification needed:
As not all unboxings are not necessarily reviews, would the forum include unboxing only posts?

If they were to go on the wiki, make a page for each cube, and in "More" || "External Links" section put links to all the reviews to the relevant cube there. Might avoid clutter if they're all put on one page.

WCA
2013LLEW01
As not all unboxings are not necessarily reviews, would the forum include unboxing only posts?

If they were to go on the wiki, make a page for each cube, and in "More" || "External Links" section put links to all the reviews to the relevant cube there. Might avoid clutter if they're all put on one page.

This is what needs to happen. Eventually there will be so many reviews on the same cube that it would just be so much harder to have to shuffle through pages to find all the reviews you need. Getting a lot of reviews on one cube in the same place would significantly simplify the shopping process. GREAT idea.

Cheese11

WCA
2011KULC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I say it should go as a full forum section so noobs and beginners can find it easily.
Would someone make a new thread every time they want to reveiw a cube?
Or would they add on to an exsisting thread assigned to that cube?

EDIT:

IMO unboxings are stupid and not needed.

Last edited:

aronpm

While many (dare I say most?) unboxings are done in manners unhelpful, unboxings "done properly" hold value. They are the only real way to watch somebody develop their first impressions.
A first impression would be when they take it out of the box, not when they take 10 minutes to cut open the packaging and remove the items.

ThomasJE

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
This actually does make a lot of sense, and it a great idea. I think putting it in the "Resources" category would make a lot of sense. This way it's not even a subforum, so people can see it right on the main forum page.

My thoughts exactly.

Many people don't edit the wiki. I think it would be easier if it was on the front page of the forum. And for your second point: I think there should be one thread for each cube. That way, if lots of people had reviews on one particular cube, they could all be put in one thread, which would help people who were thinking of buying that cube.. And also, if someone wanted a review of a cube that there wasn't a thread for, they could ask for others' opinions in a new thread, and keep that thread if after, others wanted to add a review.

A review could include the unboxing, first impressions, and peformance after breaking in possibly. I think they would all be covered in one post.