• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Review] ShengShou 4x4x4 Version 3

What do you think of this puzzle?

• Total voters

Yes We Can!

WCA
2009DIEC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This thread is for reviews of the ShengShou 4x4x4 Version 3. You can vote in the poll above, but please only vote if you own this particular puzzle.

When posting your review, please follow a template similar to this:

• Where the puzzle was purchased:
  • When the puzzle was purchased:
  • Thoughts on the puzzle:
What are your thoughts of this puzzle? Please vote one of the options above - but please only vote if you own and have used this puzzle extensively!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I might be a bit late with this but here it is anyway :p Hope you like it!

Click here to see it on lightake.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ickenicke

YouTube
Visit Channel
Where the puzzle was purchased: Lightake
When the puzzle was purchased: In October or November 2011
Thoughts on the puzzle: Not that good from the beginning, but after lubing and modding it is very good!

cubernya

Premium Member
Where the puzzle was purchased: Cube Depot
When the puzzle was purchased: December 2011
Thoughts on the puzzle: The ShengShou 4x4 has very good corner cutting for a 4x4. The sticker quality is pretty good, but will chip after a little use. It's corner cutting is about 3/4 of a corner, and about 1/4 of a corner reverse. Double layers are about 3/4 of a center, and 1/3 of a center reverse. The cube is very fast, but does need tensioning and lubing (as well as a little breaking in).

cityzach

WCA
2010GOLD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Where the puzzle was purchased: E3cubestore (I received it for free)
When the puzzle was purchased: August 2011
Thoughts on the puzzle: Out of the box it was very smooth, but locked up a bit. After breaking in though, it became amazing!

iEnjoyCubing

WCA
2011VALL01
Where the puzzle was purchased: CubeDepot
When the puzzle was purchased: August 2011
Thoughts on the puzzle: Best 4x4 on the market in my opinion. Very smooth and extremely good out of the box, no need to break in. No popping issues, decent corner cuttings. Only issue is that it suffers from lockups occasionally.

Naillig

Where the puzzle was purchased: Puzzle Addictions

When the puzzle was purchased: October 2011

Thoughts on the puzzle:

So I think that I've sufficiently broken in the ShengShou 4x4 and I have to say that it is pretty good. I think that this cube is best suited for tighter tensions because when it is tensioned quite loosely, it tends to lock up a lot more compared to when it is tighter. Corner cutting for this cube is good for a 4x4, 1/2-3/4 of a cubie, depending on your tensions. I wouldn't like to say that it does reverse corner cut, but if you were to say so, I'd say around 1/4 or less of a cubie (which really isn't a lot). The cube tends to get smoother with use, which is a bonus, so I'd basically recommend that you take the time to break in this cube. Oh, one minor detail, there are no popping issues because of the anti-pop mech that is implemented in this cube. But, the one downfall on this cube is that it tends to have some major lock-up issues.

vdpflayer

WCA
2011ZVYA01
Where the puzzle was purchased: Lightake
When the puzzle was purchased: November 2011
Thoughts on the puzzle: Out of the box it was a smooth, but terrible. After lubing - average -5 sec

JianhanC

WCA
2010CHOO02
Where the puzzle was purchased: Borrowed my friend's, but getting my own
When the puzzle was purchased: Had it about 2 weeks ago
Thoughts on the puzzle: It's small, good quality stickers, superb turning, and like the 5x5, the stickers are easy to find quick. The only flaw is that it locks up a bit, but with breaking in it goes away. Really nothing much to add, it's a great cube and really cheap too. Turning is very smooth because the pieces have a bit of raised plastic, so that the area that comes in contact with each other is lesser (similar to the F-II cube).

WCA
2010SCHI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Where the puzzle was purchased: Bought from Lightake
When the puzzle was purchased: I have it since Friday.
Thoughts on the puzzle: It is perfect! The quality of the stickers, I knew they were already good because I own a VI to. The outer layers are just unbelieveable, they turn so well! The inner layers are smoother than the outer (outer more crispy). The only dislike is that the cube feels a little unstable. In the beginning I had some lock-ups. But after some breaking in (50 solves) and lubing it became perfect :D

MostEd

WCA
2012BETA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Where the puzzle was purchased: A seller here in Russia St. Petersburg
When the puzzle was purchased: Feb 14th
Thoughts on the puzzle: locks up too much for me way more than the 5x5
fast, avg corner cutting, no pops, i like it's size

ThomasJE

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Where the puzzle was purchased: Speedsolving
When the puzzle was purchased: April 2012
Thoughts on the puzzle: Quite good out of the box, but after doing a Konsta mod, it gets much better. It still locks up a bit though (probably down to my bad modding). I still need to completely lube it and mod it, but after that, I'm sure it'll be great.

Rubiksboy1

Where the puzzle was purchased: Speedsolving shop
When the puzzle was purchased: July 2012
Thoughts on the puzzle: Very good for a 4x4, not great corner cutting, but very smooth and fast

LNZ

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Item: White Shengshou III 4x4x4 Cube
Year: 2011
Order Date: 26/10/2011
Arrival Date: 02/11/2011
Cost: $9.81 AUD

My favourite 4x4x4 cube by far. I've had Cubesmith half bright stickers put on it for extra fun and usefulness.

I was doing a check on http://www.51morefun.com and they say that the current version of the SS 4x4 is now V4 and not V3 as stated by most people.

gpyl

Where the puzzle was purchased: HK Now Store
When the puzzle was purchased: dunno, mid-2012?
Thoughts on the puzzle: locks up a bit, but it's not that annoying, okay out of the box.
performing the konsta+florian mod on it and it should be brilliant by then!!!!!!

Petro Leum

WCA
2012KALH01
Where: Thecubicle.us
When: June 2012
Thoughts; Great cube. i had dayan and mf8 before, and the SS beats it by astronomic lengths.

It is superfast out of the box, has a good size, good stickers, no pops possible, and it became only slightly better after internal lube/layer lube and tension adjustment.
Cons: its a bit scratchy. i like it, but it might not be everyones taste.
I can NOT slice like on a 3x3 (i coudl with the dayan + mf8), because the slices are ALWAYS locking up on the outer layers. Rw R' works perfectly fine though.