• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Thread approval

insane569

WCA
2011LUEV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This is an idea that I somewhat like. So like, if a thread/post gets flagged x amount of times, then thread moderators get the ability to delete it. Thread moderators could be biased towards some members, so maybe you need x amount of thread moderators to delete it? Thread mods, have no other powers, except deleting posts/threads, so they could held to a lesser standard than regular moderators, so you get easily get many more thread moderators, right?

I don't see any major flaws, but I am exhausted, so I am sure in the next few posts, people with point out many flaws in this idea. :p

Exactly. There would need to be a reasonable sized group of these mods though. And they would have to be good posters that know what the community needs. So if a thread like the one that flyingfingers made today shows up they could very easily remove it since it still stays on the front page after it's closed. And to control the level of spam in threads.

Zane_C

Premium Member
WCA
2010CARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just thought of this. What if the mods had some help. Like a mod with half the power of the current mods. They would go over the threads and any thread with a large number of flags would be reviewed by this mod and if this mod thought that it should be removed then he could add it to a list of threads to be reviewed further or add it to a list of ignores (Like if a large group flag a thread because someone like womack made it) Think of it as a thread mod that only has power over threads. But the problem is they would have to find a new mod. One thats trustful and has no grudges towards other members.
This is an idea that I somewhat like. So like, if a thread/post gets flagged x amount of times, then thread moderators get the ability to delete it. Thread moderators could be biased towards some members, so maybe you need x amount of thread moderators to delete it? Thread mods, have no other powers, except deleting posts/threads, so they could held to a lesser standard than regular moderators, so you get easily get many more thread moderators, right?

I don't see any major flaws, but I am exhausted, so I am sure in the next few posts, people with point out many flaws in this idea. :p
Way too much over-thinking.

Robocopter87

WCA
2013KUNK01
This has already been discussed, some new members are very capable of posting excellent threads.
Yes, some can. But obviously not all. Is it safe to say that there are more fail threads being created by new members or more brilliant threads? I say yes. Or else we would not be having this problem. I understand some new members have the ability and knowledge to not just start posting new threads, and thats awesome, but we need to stop these thread-making addictions.

The time limit really is a good idea. New members can browse the threads and read, and if they wanna post, they may. If they have a question though, they are forced to post in a proper place (The OAQT). Which eliminates all the crap. Right there. Making them post instead of start threads is an instant solution. Then, after a certain amount of time, they may start creating threads. Also, I wanna add that it would be a good idea to be able to create threads in the Member intros, and if they have personal questions, they could possibly post them in their own personal threads.

Now, I understand the flaws, such as a new member who actually has their head on straight and can post decently without having to be told to. This is particularly blocking to them. But I'm sure that if the wait is not too long, they will be patient enough to wait it out. And its not like they need to post threads to show some intelligence. There are already tons of created topics that can be posted on.

If I may make yet another suggestion, what about temporarily trying out solutions? And the best ones can be used and enforced.

More Mods is NOT the answer. Giving more people more power is NOT the answer. The current Mod system seems to be very good. Throwing more mods in to fix one problem will make a mod problem, which will need another solution.

Robocopter87

WCA
2013KUNK01
Just thought of this. What if the mods had some help. Like a mod with half the power of the current mods. They would go over the threads and any thread with a large number of flags would be reviewed by this mod and if this mod thought that it should be removed then he could add it to a list of threads to be reviewed further or add it to a list of ignores (Like if a large group flag a thread because someone like womack made it) Think of it as a thread mod that only has power over threads. But the problem is they would have to find a new mod. One thats trustful and has no grudges towards other members.

No. If you give people Mod powers, even half mod powers, then they are Mods. This is the same solution as before, but with a different explanation More mods isn't going to fix this. . If you give people powers to shut down threads then people will start abusing this power. This is not the solution. More mods is not going to fix the problem. People with higher power will not fix this. We need a system, that works by itself, to stop the thread making.

The idea of having more mods to delete threads isn't solving the problem. The threads are still being made in this scenario. The Threads still can be made. People can still post in them. People can still spam them. This doesn't stop threads from being made, it only deletes them after they are. Which isn't solving the problem.

EDIT: Sorry for the Double Post.

Robocopter87

WCA
2013KUNK01
Do you have a problem with mods?

What? I don't get where this is coming from.

The answer is no. I really like the way Mods are set up on this forum and the current mod team is doing a great job of keeping this forum under control. However, if we just start chucking in mods to this system, then people who are not qualified for the current system will get powers anyway. Then you have bad mods. Then you have a mod problem.

I'm saying that adding more mods won't fix anything. Trying to rearrange the mods won't fix anything. The Mod system is great the way it is. And changing it won't solve the problem at hand.

Really though, where did I give the idea to you that I disliked mods?

AustinReed

WCA
2011REED01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I do like the idea of half mods, and I disagree with robocopter. More mods might be able to fix the problem. Just make the system like this.

Admins --> Mods --> Half Mods (Mods with restrictions)

There should be more Half-Mods than normal mods, but they also should be very trusted. Also, spread them throughout the world, so there would be a couple at any given moment.

Or...

I like the idea of "if a thread gets reported x amount of times, a mod will review it. Maybe if y amount of "Half-Mods" are unanimous in their decision, it would be deleted.

The only problem I see is the obvious. It might take a while for the y amount of "Half-Mods" to vote.

insane569

WCA
2011LUEV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
What? I don't get where this is coming from.

The answer is no. I really like the way Mods are set up on this forum and the current mod team is doing a great job of keeping this forum under control. However, if we just start chucking in mods to this system, then people who are not qualified for the current system will get powers anyway. Then you have bad mods. Then you have a mod problem.

I'm saying that adding more mods won't fix anything. Trying to rearrange the mods won't fix anything. The Mod system is great the way it is. And changing it won't solve the problem at hand.

Really though, where did I give the idea to you that I disliked mods?

READ THE REST OF MY POST WILL YA.
I said that they would need people that are known to post quality content.

Robocopter87

WCA
2013KUNK01
READ THE REST OF MY POST WILL YA.
I said that they would need people that are known to post quality content.

Aronpm generally posts quality content. He is not a mod. Why? Because he isn't suited for Modding. Sorry aron, but I used you as an example.

Being a Mod isn't about posting quality content. There is a lot more. Decision making, dealing with situation, communicating with members and simply fixing problems.

Just posting quality content isn't enough.

insane569

WCA
2011LUEV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Aronpm generally posts quality content. He is not a mod. Why? Because he isn't suited for Modding. Sorry aron, but I used you as an example.

Being a Mod isn't about posting quality content. There is a lot more. Decision making, dealing with situation, communicating with members and simply fixing problems.

Just posting quality content isn't enough.

Again read them.
They wouldnt really be mods they would be able to decide if a thread is worth removing or not. The real mods would do the actual closing/removing/banning. These mods would just assist so that the more important threads get pushed to the top and if a thread is good but people flag it just because they hate the member that thread would be put to an ignore list and nothing would be done. There would have to be a group of them so that one person isn't in total charge of everything.

Robocopter87

WCA
2013KUNK01

Irrelevant. I'm not using him to smear his name. I'm using him because I know he is not a mod. And I also know he is a poster of quality content. This does not make him Mod worthy though. Which leads me to the rest of my post. Aron was simply an example.

Aron being a Mod is a side topic that we don't need to discuss here.

aronpm

Irrelevant. I'm not using him to smear his name. I'm using him because I know he is not a mod. And I also know he is a poster of quality content. This does not make him Mod worthy though. Which leads me to the rest of my post. Aron was simply an example.

Aron being a Mod is a side topic that we don't need to discuss here.

If aron post quality content and doesnt get alot of hate for making stupid post then he is mod worthy. Wouldn't abuse his power or go over board.

I believe you'll find that my username is "aronpm", not "Aronpm".

Last edited by a moderator:

Robocopter87

WCA
2013KUNK01
Again read them.
They wouldnt really be mods they would be able to decide if a thread is worth removing or not. The real mods would do the actual closing/removing/banning. These mods would just assist so that the more important threads get pushed to the top and if a thread is good but people flag it just because they hate the member that thread would be put to an ignore list and nothing would be done. There would have to be a group of them so that one person isn't in total charge of everything.

That. Doesn't. Fix. The. Problem.

A Mod does not, NOT, need a group of people to tell him that a thread needs shutting down. They obviously can make this decision on their own. Its a matter of them not being there when the thread is made in order to shut it down. Really, once a crap thread is made, everybody KNOWS that it needs to be shut down, but a Mod isn't there to shut it down. Which is when the crap is posted.

The problem is that the threads are MADE in the first place. Deleting them afterwards isn't fixing this problem.

Meep

WCA
2008ASIS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The problem is that the threads are MADE in the first place. Deleting them afterwards isn't fixing this problem.

I think the real problem is people being bothered by the threads being made, and people feeling they have to scream at the poster. If you just report it and leave it alone, it'll get bumped off the front page, and later deleted. If like 10 people start bashing the person for posting a stupid thread, that's 10 bumps keeping it visible to everyone. The threads are more like the spark to the problem IMO.

insane569

WCA
2011LUEV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So... what does this half-mod actually do?

Thats the part that needs working out.
Either thay can make a decision as a group to remove a thread/close it or they just make sure that threads aren't being reported for no logical reason and that threads that do need removing are pushed to the top right away and removed as quickly as possible.
Just like an assistant. Organize everything.

I believe you'll find that my username is "aronpm", not "Aronpm".

Aron is your name so it would be right to capitalize it.

AustinReed

WCA
2011REED01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think the real problem is people being bothered by the threads being made, and people feeling they have to scream at the poster. If you just report it and leave it alone, it'll get bumped off the front page, and later deleted. If like 10 people start bashing the person for posting a stupid thread, that's 10 bumps keeping it visible to everyone. The threads are more like the spark to the problem IMO.

It is a problem, so another issue is trying to think of a quick way to get these threads down before the trolls start rolling in.

Heh..my signature >.>