• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Thread approval

emolover

WCA
2009MAHO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think one a week would be a little harsh. I would prefer one every 1-5 hours instead.

That is still at the speed in which Womack and FlyingFingers make threads sometimes.

They should work out a time schedule. Have mods on as long as possible and have very small sections of time when their off. But this means more mods....

That is unreasonable. People actually have a life and don't want to be on a schedule for a forum.

Jaycee

YouTube
Visit Channel
Zane for night mod! Lol. JK, not the place for that xD

@ the schedule idea : Are you serious?!?!? People have lives and can't be bothered to take time out of them for a forum...

cubersmith

WCA
2011SMIT04
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't see what's wrong with this idea other than that there's not enough mods. We should have about 5 in each continent, so there's at least one mod online 24/7. To me this is the obvious solution to the problem with people like FlyingFingers posting a new thread every hour. The private forum was supposed to make people increase their post quality. I don't know how well that worked, but there's still stupid threads out there and if the people creating these threads know that it will be moderated as soon as they post it, then that might encourage them to improve the quality of the thread. It would also prevent a lot of flame wars happening on the threads. I don't know because I've never been a moderator, but this seems like a good solution.

Jaycee

YouTube
Visit Channel
@ Austin and insane : If that should happen, it had better be voluntary. I wouldn't like being a mod and being told "You must always be on at this time of day." Even if it is for a very small amount of time.

Not only would giving more people mod status take away some of the value, but maybe there are only the amount of mods there are because no other people have proved themselves to earn mod status (in the eyes of the admins, of course).

cubersmith

WCA
2011SMIT04
YouTube
Visit Channel
@ Austin and insane : If that should happen, it had better be voluntary. I wouldn't like being a mod and being told "You must always be on at this time of day." Even if it is for a very small amount of time.

Not only would giving more people mod status take away some of the value, but maybe there are only the amount of mods there are because no other people have proved themselves to earn mod status (in the eyes of the admins, of course).

Maybe the standards for "mod status" shouldn't be so high.

emolover

WCA
2009MAHO01
YouTube
Visit Channel

IF there is a way to check this they need to see what people who could be trusted with mod power are almost always on at a certain time. That could be your "schedule" and it would not be a huge burden.

Maybe the standards for "mod status" shouldn't be so high.

In actuality some of the mods are not posting at the standards that traditional mods are suppose to be.

Also many of the mods have seemed to have left the forums.

Last edited:

AustinReed

WCA
2011REED01
YouTube
Visit Channel

There can be more than one mod in a whole section of a continent. Reduces the stress by a little bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
O

Owen

Whether a thread is "stupid" or not is a matter of personal preference.

Robocopter87

WCA
2013KUNK01
Yes, there is quite the problem with bad threads, but I have a possible solution.

I just thought of this, so obviously there will be bugs.

How about we put a time limit? A member has to be with the site for a certain amount of time before being allowed to start threads. They may post but they may not start threads.

I have no idea what the time limit should be. Thats up to everybody else. This is simply my own idea.

EDIT:To add to this, witht his rule, new members with questions will be FORCED to use threads like OAQT and stuff like that. This way they are FORCED to post where they are supposed to, not simply able to start any thread they want.
EDITx2: Just thought of a bug. Member Introductions. Perhaps that subforum could be an exception.

Last edited:

Julian

WCA
2010DAVI06
Yes, there is quite the problem with bad threads, but I have a possible solution.

I just thought of this, so obviously there will be bugs.

How about we put a time limit? A member has to be with the site for a certain amount of time before being allowed to start threads. They may post but they may not start threads.

I have no idea what the time limit should be. Thats up to everybody else. This is simply my own idea.

EDIT:To add to this, witht his rule, new members with questions will be FORCED to use threads like OAQT and stuff like that. This way they are FORCED to post where they are supposed to, not simply able to start any thread they want.
This has been discussed before, and has been decided against because some new users have valuable contributions to make, and it would be stupid to make them wait (and maybe even spam) just to share their ideas.