• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Thread approval

tasguitar7

YouTube
Visit Channel
If it's not already done, might be better just to have an option for each user to be able to filter out threads below a certain rating rather than setting arbitrary numbers like this and hiding it from everyone. If someone WANTS to see threads rated 2 or lower, they could choose to still do so. Also in that case, probably no need to have the threads auo-reported either since the people who don't want to see them won't(aside from the first few needed to rate it down far enough, who can choose to report it themselves as well if they feel it''s deserved) and the mods will likely notice the thread and take action soon enough otherwise anyway

I get what you are saying, but take for example, if a really really bad thread was at the top of the front page, everyone will keep opening it, reading it, many will flame it, and the quality of the forum deteriorates. Now yes, the thread would probably be reported, but not until rampant flaming has occurred and the time of many users and mods has been wasted. However, if the rating system had the power to hide threads and delete them then more people would be inclined to vote and you could see a 2 star thread at the top of the homepage and go "Let's not waste my time with that", it will also not only save the mods time by having an auto-reporter, but it would also save them time because they would be able to see the ratings of each thread and have a better indicator of which threads needed to be reviewed more carefully.

Essentially, I think the thread rating system needs more importance and that if it was used more frequently it would greatly benefit the quality of the forum. I also believe that the only real way to get people to rate threads consistently is to give the rating system power to hide and delete threads.

PS. The hiding function exists to an extent, you can hide content from specific users through the "ignore list"

Kirjava

Colourful
WCA
2006BARL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You could implement one of the flawed ideas suggested in this thread, or you could just do what you're supposed to like recommended at the start of this thread and this would not be a problem in the first place.

asportking

YouTube
Visit Channel
Like a lot of people have said, I'm fine with stupid threads as long as they get taken down, it's just the people that flame them and post on them instead of just ignoring it. What if, after a certain amount of reports, the thread is temporarily closed until a mod can take a look at it? Or, to improvise on that "half-mod" idea someone had a while back, there would be a ton of people (not anything special, just most of the semi-responsible members here, which is a lot), and it would only take two or three reports from them to temporarily close the thread. I know someone already suggested it, but I don't see why it shouldn't work. One of the problems someone had mentioned about it was that some people could team up and shut down a random thread. But so what if that happens? A mod looks at it, the thread is reopened, and the people who reported loses their privileges.

insane569

WCA
2011LUEV01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Like a lot of people have said, I'm fine with stupid threads as long as they get taken down, it's just the people that flame them and post on them instead of just ignoring it. What if, after a certain amount of reports, the thread is temporarily closed until a mod can take a look at it? Or, to improvise on that "half-mod" idea someone had a while back, there would be a ton of people (not anything special, just most of the semi-responsible members here, which is a lot), and it would only take two or three reports from them to temporarily close the thread. I know someone already suggested it, but I don't see why it shouldn't work. One of the problems someone had mentioned about it was that some people could team up and shut down a random thread. But so what if that happens? A mod looks at it, the thread is reopened, and the people who reported loses their privileges.

That was my idea and it seems like it might work. There's alot of people that post great topics and they know what the forum wants. They could easily be these half mods and make sure there isn't a bunch of threads that just start flame wars.