Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Colour Neutral Deliberation

WCA Profile
    2007COHE01
    YouTube
    masterofthebass

Quote Originally Posted by jskyler91 View Post
    Maybe not to you, but I know a lot of cubers who would love to be more consistent and have a better lookahead simply by method i.e. by being CN
    Except the vast majority of the solve is not the the cross -> F2L transition. That is a very minute part of the solve which is only slightly benefitted from being CN. It is hardly a big enough difference to invest the sheer amount of time necessary to switch to being CN.

YouTube
    jskyler91

Quote Originally Posted by masterofthebass View Post
    Except the vast majority of the solve is not the the cross -> F2L transition. That is a very minute part of the solve which is only slightly benefitted from being CN. It is hardly a big enough difference to invest the sheer amount of time necessary to switch to being CN.
    I would agree if the cross to f2l transition only affected that particular time in the solve, but it doesn't your cross to f2l transition changes the entire tempo of your solve and, for me at least, determines how fast you can solve it.

WCA Profile
    2007COHE01
    YouTube
    masterofthebass

Quote Originally Posted by jskyler91 View Post
    I would agree if the cross to f2l transition only affected that particular time in the solve, but it doesn't your cross to f2l transition changes the entire tempo of your solve and, for me at least, determines how fast you can solve it.
    I highly doubt that you honestly believe the only thing that affects a solve's time is the cross to f2l transition. I already said that a good transition is aided with CN, but it in no way is so heavily influenced that it is worth switching. People who are fast with fixed cross have the ability to make good transitions, whether that is from lookahead during cross/inspection, or just the ability to find the pieces they need instantly. The burden of switching to being completely color neutral is absolutely not worth the slight benefit that can happen on a few solves.

YouTube
    jskyler91

Quote Originally Posted by masterofthebass View Post
    I highly doubt that you honestly believe the only thing that affects a solve's time is the cross to f2l transition. I already said that a good transition is aided with CN, but it in no way is so heavily influenced that it is worth switching. People who are fast with fixed cross have the ability to make good transitions, whether that is from lookahead during cross/inspection, or just the ability to find the pieces they need instantly. The burden of switching to being completely color neutral is absolutely not worth the slight benefit that can happen on a few solves.
    I just did an average of 100 and 73 of those crosses where not white crosses. That seems to be a little more than every few solves. 75% of the time I am saving a few moves over white. That seems to be worth it to me. I am beginning to realize that this is simply a topic that neither side will budge on. Those who are set in non color neutrality will not listen to the logic of why to be color neutral and vice. I think you should just go with whatever you want to do because it doesn't really matter what others say you (not you masterofthebass, but you as in the non listening person in general) are just going to do what you want.

WCA Profile
    2007COHE01
    YouTube
    masterofthebass

Anecdotal evidence of how many solves you did that didn't have a white cross means absolutely nothing. Saving 1-2 moves is in no way possible a valid reason to basically relearn how to solve a cube. I can average sub 12 CN, but the solves are so far off from my white cross that the time needed just is not worth it.

WCA Profile
    2007GUIM01
    YouTube
    PedroSG

Dude, you didn't "prove your points". There's no way to do that. Neither for you or us.
    Saying "75% of the time I am saving a few moves over white" means nothing. Did you actually count all the crosses? Are you sure the white cross wasn't the same # of moves as the cross you chose?

WCA Profile
    2007GUIM01
    YouTube
    PedroSG

Ok, just did an avg100 with yellow:

First 50: 15.67 mean, SD = 2.21
    Best avg5: 13.84, Best avg12: 14.35

Total: 15.13 mean, SD = 2.50 (16.5%)
    Best avg5: 12.15, Best avg12: 13.99

Some easy solves (three 11s) near the end made the good avg5.

My global avg with white (10739 solves over the past 5 months) is 12.47, with SD 1.75 (14%) so this was about 21% slower.

Here are the graphs from Prisma with this avg100 and my global with white and also the avg100 with blue:
    Yellow White Blue Green

------------------------------------------------------The day after---------------------------------------------------------

Avg100 with blue today:

Fist 50: 17.04 mean, SD = 2.08
    Best avg5: 14.55, Best avg12: 16.34

Total: 16.66 mean, SD = 2.05 (12.3%)
    Best avg5: 14.55, Best avg12: 15.22

16.66 is 33.6% slower than my 12.47 avg with white.

Added the blue avg graph above.

-------------------------------------Jan 16th------------------------------

Did green today:

First 50: 16.39 mean, SD = 2.10 (12.8%)
    Best avg5: 14.08, Best avg12: 15.00

Total: 16.41 mean, SD = 2.37 (14.4%)
    Best avg5: 13.80, Best avg12: 15.00

16.41 is 31.4% slower than avg with white

Added green graph above.
    Best avg5: 13.80, Best avg12: 15.00
    Last edited by Pedro; 01-16-2012 at 03:07 PM.