• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Odder's URL based puzzle scrambler

Carrot

WCA
2008ANDE02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello cubers!

So today I made an URL-based scrambler. This makes it possible to define in the address bar what type of scrambles you want, how many of them you want and how you want to group them.

I'll throw a linky here: http://scrambler.odderen.dk

So how does it work? Well if you just click that link, you'll get no scrambles at all. You need to define the scrambles you want.

The syntax are following:
?puzzle1=N&puzzle2=N&...&group=N

the "puzzle" list is:
  • 222 (random state, suboptimal)
  • 333 (random state)
  • 444 (random moves)
  • 555 (random moves)
  • 666 (random moves)
  • 777 (random moves)
  • pyra (random state, suboptimal)
  • mega (random moves)
  • clock (WCA)
  • sq1 (random state)

N can be set to any number, if you leave it blank, it will count as 0.
group is set with 5 as default.

Let's say you want:
3x3x3: 28 scrambles
pyra: 14 scrambles
2x2x2: 56 scrambles
Grouped in 7 scrambles
Then you have you use this link:
scrambler.odderen.dk?333=28&pyra=14&222=56&group=7

Let's say you want:
sq1: 5 scrambles
2x2x2: 500 scrambles
Grouped in 50 scrambles
Then you have you use this link:
scrambler.odderen.dk?sq1=5&222=500&group=50

To be honest I have no idea who will be using it, but I thought it would be fun to make this :)

(Disclaimer: it's using Mark2 to generate scrambles)

cubernya

Premium Member
Awesome. I just screwed around with it a little, and it works like a charm. The organization is great as well

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The first thing I did after reading your post was try that.

The second thing I did after reading your post was restart my browser.

What browser? A good browser should make it easy to stop.

In any case, this really needs web workers. Easy, transparent web worker usage is on the to-do list for the Mark 2 scramblers.

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
the "puzzle" list is:
  • 222 (random state, suboptimal)
  • 333 (random state)
  • pyra (random state, suboptimal)
  • clock (WCA)
  • sq1 (random state)

2x2x2 might be MRSS, unless you tweaked it.
3x3x3 is MRSS
pyra is MRSS, I think, unless you tweaked it.
clock is obviously MRSS, and it's optimal enough (14 dial turns).
sq1 is MRSS "suboptimal".

I don't know why people care so much about suboptimal vs. optimal, if the scrambles are short enough. Random-state matters way more, including MRSS vs. naive random-state (Square-1), and using a good random seed.

Lucas Garron:

I've now done a little change in the randomSource based on what Chen Shuang told me to do :)

Coo'. You should use the same MersenneTwister object for all scramblers, though, else they all get the same seed. (Else if you ever have two random scramblers that generate random scrambles similarly, they might generate them the same way, because they might have been seeded at the same time.)

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't know why people care so much about suboptimal vs. optimal, if the scrambles are short enough.

... and if they're long enough. At least for home training, optimal is bad because you don't want to know in advance that there's a three moves solution. Intentionally suboptimal is better there. I don't think that's actually done here, though, cause I just got a three moves scramble (F U2 R).

Carrot

WCA
2008ANDE02
YouTube
Visit Channel
(I actually skimmed 1000 2x2x2 scrambles before asking without finding any "short" scrambles) Okay, I see what you mean, "13. F' U F R U' " also kinda short. But as I said, it's Mark2 scrambles, so I cannot describe how the scrambler works to be honest.

cubernya

Premium Member
Odder, could you plug a skewb scrambler into this as well? I don't know how well it would work, but just a functional one would work great.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Odder, could you plug a skewb scrambler into this as well? I don't know how well it would work, but just a functional one would work great.

Odder's also already ahead of you on that. He doesn't have one done yet, but he certainly will soon - he's probably going to use Chen Shuang's optimal random-state scrambler for this.